Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

One of the first ways to crack safe spots was to warp past the person and hope your bookmark landed you next to them?

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Backstage's goal and purpose  (Read 8924 times)

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
Re: Backstage's goal and purpose
« Reply #15 on: 27 May 2011, 07:46 »

But as mentioned by Silvernight - perhaps we could simply talk to each other a bit more?

Emphasis added by me.

Usually people talk at each other, not to or with.

And it makes all the difference.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Vieve

« Reply #16 on: 27 May 2011, 07:51 »

If Backstage ever takes on the role of becoming a place where disputes can be discussed -- please, for the love of fish, put all those threads into a separate section, so people like me can Mark All Read the entire thing.

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal
« Reply #17 on: 27 May 2011, 08:25 »

But as mentioned by Silvernight - perhaps we could simply talk to each other a bit more?

Emphasis added by me.

Usually people talk at each other, not to or with.

And it makes all the difference.

Yep it does, and often when these "dispute threads" get going not even that. People are talking at and for the "audience" (in a dimly defined notion of threadwar as theatre) and playing for the applause and catcalls ignoring actual interaction and just trying to get their stabs in under the spotlight.
« Last Edit: 27 May 2011, 08:33 by Jade Constantine »

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Lyn Farel

« Reply #18 on: 27 May 2011, 11:32 »

If Backstage ever takes on the role of becoming a place where disputes can be discussed -- please, for the love of fish, put all those threads into a separate section, so people like me can Mark All Read the entire thing.

This.

I am not registered here to play or read CAOD-ish arguments.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #19 on: 29 May 2011, 12:22 »

I agree with Jade on all counts.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #20 on: 29 May 2011, 23:35 »

I see the purpose of backstage's moderation guidelines.

Show me an EVE player who can remain civil in a discussion of IC / OOC disputes of any variety, for any significant amount of time, and I'll carve you a statue of Kuvakei a-la Michelangelo's David.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #21 on: 30 May 2011, 00:08 »

Show me an EVE player who can remain civil in a discussion of IC / OOC disputes of any variety, for any significant amount of time, and I'll carve you a statue of Kuvakei a-la Michelangelo's David.

Do you think discussions in the infiltration / rp thread are not civil?

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal
« Reply #22 on: 30 May 2011, 10:43 »

They are impressively civil Scagga, so civil I've started walking carefully unless I cut myself on the civility ;)

(I'm not being entirely ironic either - seriously, it is a quite loaded discussion that is being debated with all the rhetorical weight of a formal university debating society topic and it is quite entertaining to watch.)

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #23 on: 30 May 2011, 11:16 »

I dunno about this. I think including an OOC Summit, where people talk about current events ingame between players is inviting discussions will end up with conflict resolution. I mean, how do you discuss a topic that involves other players without inflecting your personal opinion other than just stating what we can all see? And in the process of sharing these perspectives, there will be counter perspectives, and so on. Granted, often times these discussions get personal and heated, which is where moderation is needed, but I think Backstage is INVITING this behavior by encouraging current events discussions.

I'm not saying this is bad, mind you, I just think intentionally stating that this is NOT A PLACE TO DO THIS is a bit hypocritical.

Am I wrong here? Please correct me.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #24 on: 30 May 2011, 12:51 »

Look back at what Cia said:

It was not and is not intended to be the forum for the resolution of all IG and OOG grievances, conflicts, disputes and arguments.

It was not and is not intended to be the first and last resort for all RP related matters, subtexts to the IGS, Eve fiction, CAOD and other forums.

I highlighted in red the part that shows that we can't handle all matters here. Some? Sure, when they can be handled appropriately. But when they get out of hand and we say "no more", or if the individuals participating simply can't restrain themselves, then they need to find an alternate venue.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #25 on: 30 May 2011, 15:26 »

Well, to be fair here...I'm assuming all matters aren't handled here, and the some that do might get moderated. I'm simply pointing out that a forum with a description of Out-of-Character discussion on In-Game politics and such. is going to invite some discussions that MIGHT be productive, and plenty of others that will need moderation assistance.

Sooo, I guess I'm asking a question here: WHY is Backstage restating the board's goal and purpose?

Inara Subaka

• Egger
  • Business Woman
« Reply #26 on: 30 May 2011, 19:30 »

I think we've been quite civil, and that's why I stepped out when I did. I realized we saw two sides of the same coin and wouldn't agree no matter how much civil discussion we had (which is a shame, because we all know 'urdoingitwrong'* :p ). If I would have kept going, it would have become repetitive/monotonous/head+desk and I really don't like circular debate (I like good debate, but not circular).

Also, thanks for remaining civil. And, I'd prefer Raze (Tobias Kruzhor) rather than Kuvakei, I'll send you the address to ship it too when it's done. :p

* Was said in full facetiousness and with no seriousness in the tone at all.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #27 on: 30 May 2011, 20:14 »

Well, to be fair here...I'm assuming all matters aren't handled here, and the some that do might get moderated. I'm simply pointing out that a forum with a description of Out-of-Character discussion on In-Game politics and such. is going to invite some discussions that MIGHT be productive, and plenty of others that will need moderation assistance.

Sooo, I guess I'm asking a question here: WHY is Backstage restating the board's goal and purpose?

To remind people, as ideally people self-moderate, rather than us having to moderate them, and then hand out warnings etc.

There seemed to be some confusion about what Backstage is, and what it isn't.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #28 on: 31 May 2011, 01:20 »

Is this an inappropriate time to admit that I enjoy being moderated? >.>

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #29 on: 31 May 2011, 01:34 »

Is this an inappropriate time to admit that I enjoy being moderated? >.>

Dibs on modding Kal in the future. <_< >_>
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.
Pages: 1 [2] 3