Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that the Minmatar military specifically recruits hardened criminals for service in its elite Valklear units, and that many of the Republic's most senior officers were originally recruited in this way?

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: CQ Vid from CCP.  (Read 4600 times)

Vincent Pryce

Re: CQ Vid from CCP.
« Reply #15 on: 26 May 2011, 14:47 »

We get to be alpha testers for World of Darkness  :psyccp:

Yay \o/

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #16 on: 26 May 2011, 15:02 »

Why do people keep saying that? It doesn't make any sense to me. Yes, we get the first crack at the underlying base code. That applies to most everything -- and this has been planned since long before WoD became a CCP property.

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #17 on: 26 May 2011, 15:09 »

Well, I don't mind alpha testing WoD's underlying technology, actually. Hopefully it will be a good game 'cause I can easily see myself playing it.

But yeah, while technically true, I don't think it's quite right to say that. We may be partly doing that, but we're not only doing that. Incarna is - or ought to be anyway - more than that.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #18 on: 26 May 2011, 15:36 »

One could say that we've been alpha testing WoD all along, since so much of the underlying core is getting re-used. But that seems like a misrepresentation of what is happening.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #19 on: 26 May 2011, 23:36 »

The WoD thing is what virtually guarantees that Incarna will be expanded on.

Anyway, this model - where they release something that is a foundation, or framework, with little in the way of interesting content yet, and then build on it is basically exactly how the early years of Eve played out. I would view it through that lens, rather than the lens of say WH space or FW.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #20 on: 27 May 2011, 00:02 »

Well, I half joke when I say that, but serious development for Incarna started only when WoDO was announced and put in the workings. Yes, CCP has dreamed of Incarna for a good while now for EVE too, but take look at how they implement it to EVE, in small pieces. We won't even at first have height differences come first character interactions for one. And what better way to test a new game engine and hone it than to put it under the scrutiny of a hundreds of thousands of bitter vets who rip it apart and test the engine for you while you develop it. Clever CCP is clever.

Secondly, people assume it's a bad thing when I say that. It's not. I'm extra excited by Incarna because of it. Not only am I getting a new shiny for EVE I also get a glimpse of what sort of stuff to expect for WoD Online out of the basic engine.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 27 May 2011, 02:37 »

Well, back in the day CCP said that there would not be walking in stations.

Because the Earth and Beyond crowd were constantly asking for it.
« Last Edit: 27 May 2011, 02:40 by lallara zhuul »

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #22 on: 27 May 2011, 05:07 »

Am I like the only guy who has never heard of World of Darkness or any other pieces of media discussed on this forum?

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #24 on: 27 May 2011, 06:10 »

Oh yeah, I know what it is NOW, just when it was announced, everyone went omg and I was more wut

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #25 on: 27 May 2011, 11:06 »

Oh yeah, I know what it is NOW, just when it was announced, everyone went omg and I was more wut

Me too.

Then I got around to playing Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines and it all fell into place. That game is a mixed bag, but a bag worth rummaging through nonetheless. The early game is good, with flashes of brilliance. In particular, the section of the game where you have to explore an abandoned hotel was a fantastic piece of design that riffs on The Shining to great effect. It rivals notorious Thief level The Cradle (Warning: link to PDF). Sadly, the later stages of the game become a hack n' slash grindfest (particularly sinful when you are free to choose the way you play, à la Deus Ex, and you can quite easily have happily focused your character on being a charming stealthy beast rather than a tough combat character and find it next to impossible to complete the game) that expose the hurried development of the game that was shoved out of the door by the publisher before it was ready.

In general, vampires don’t interest me, overwhelmed as we are with the glut of supernatural media these days. V:TM-B though, that was an interesting game, and I think there is an awful lot of potential with the World of Darkness setting. For me, as much as anything, it is refreshing to find anything set in the present day rather than in yet another yawnworthy sub-par sub-Tolkien clichéfest fantasy world. So, I am at least curious to see what CCP come up with on that basis alone.

I also wonder how ‘Eve-like’ the WoD game will be. Could we actually have the first MMO that will compete with Eve? Everyone else is still busy churning out their monotonous innovation-free WoW clones. As such, Eve’s bittervets have mostly never migrated to other games with any real enthusiasm – s’why they keep hanging round Eve like a bad smell. :P The first time someone actually squeezes out an MMO that attempts some of the same things that Eve did, it’s going to get a lot of attention. It may make for an interesting dilemma for CCP: what if they do come up with the only competition for Eve? Would they water down WoD to avoid risking their precious cash cow?
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #26 on: 27 May 2011, 11:46 »

Even if the gameplay has strong elements of EVE design, I don't think it would suck away too many people. You have the whole "spaceships pew pew" crowd, those of us who are SF junkies, and people who just don't want to deal with the (inaccurate) perception of "omg twilight game ftl".

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #27 on: 27 May 2011, 12:54 »

I don't find vampires really appealing either, yeah.

Crucifire

« Reply #28 on: 27 May 2011, 14:33 »

I had a roommate who was this goth chick, her and her girlfriend would play Vampire all the time with a couple of their friends. They kept trying to get me to play, "but vampire are gay," I would tell them, "but you're totally gay" they would retort.

Eventually I sat down and rolled up a character that was a hunter. I spent the entire evening setting traps, getting in their way and all around unravelling their campaign. They didn't ask me to play again. Victory.
« Last Edit: 28 May 2011, 13:30 by Crucifire »

Creep

• Omelette
« Reply #29 on: 27 May 2011, 23:30 »

I had a roommate who was this goth chick, her and her girlfriend would play Vampire all the time with a couple of their friends. They kept trying to get me to play, "but vampire are gay," I would tell them.

Eventually I sat down and rolled up a character that was a hunter. I spent the entire evening setting traps, getting in their way and all around unravelling their campaign. They didn't ask me to play again. Victory.
Now I want to play Vampire table-top RPGs with you, good sir. PvP via tabletop is the best PvP. The frothy rage is a mere few feet away.
Pages: 1 [2] 3