Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Caldari State is made up of eight mega-corporations and has three major political factions?

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: CQ Vid from CCP.  (Read 4599 times)

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
CQ Vid from CCP.
« on: 25 May 2011, 10:09 »

If only you could reach out and stroke it.

I haven't been on duality lately to see if its improved any from the initial test release, but this looks like it'll be  pretty sweet once its released.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
Re: CQ Vid from CCP.
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2011, 10:28 »

I hate to say it, because I try to be positive about these things, but..

This looks like utter crap.

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2011, 10:52 »

v0v I dunno it looks a heckuvalot better than what I experienced when I toyed around with it on Duality when CQ was first released there. I'm not sayin it's perfect, but I wouldn't go so far as "utter crap' either.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2011, 11:12 »

Yeah, I think it looks pretty good to me
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2011, 11:17 »

Unfortunately, I would call it utter crap. I've never been opposed to Incarna like some of our players, but what we're seeing is not at all inspiring to me. When they said they'd release the captain's quarters first, I was a bit dismayed because interaction is the great possibility here. Well, interaction and realizing some types of game play not possible earlier.

To look closer at what's "utter crap" to me, let's see. Firstly, there's the gameplay aspects which in this iteration are just replicating station services. They do that in a rather unimaginative manner, too. So, pardon me for not waving the company flag and singing the anthem. Sure, there could be more stuff coming down the pipe, but there's only talk of some contraband business. Ok... hope it will be interesting, but how about building on what we already have? Maybe some corp management stuff that can only be done in this type of 3d environment? Fleet visualizations? Combine that with sovereignty mechanics and create a whole new profession in Eve of the strategist or planner who sits in station and plots, plans and leads, interfacing perfectly into current mechanics. That's just one idea of meaningful gameplay. Instead, we get station services and then later maybe something we've never heard about before.

Second, there's the visuals. Eve is a game that looks good (on a good 'puter). The CQ is still work in progress so it will get a bit better and smooth, certainly, but those graphics are absolutely nothing to write home about. In fact, they are disappointing.

The third disappointment is about characterization. At the beginning of the design process, CCP was talking a lot about how the players react and interact with the environment. They said it was gonna be awesome and I thought "wow, they're really going to make something that's different from all the other MMOs, where our avatars just sort of stand there". There's no talk about anything like that, nor any sign of anything like that in the current incarnation. We'll get our one way to stand, one way to do idle animations, one way to wave, one way to fail. Right this way to RP heaven, people. It's back to chat channels.

Interestingly, for me the best thing about WoW was the character animations. Other games have avatars which barely fit into the world and have clunky animations with a lack of verisimilitude. It's odd that a game with so old graphics as WoW can still be the king of that, but you can't beat quality designers.

Anyway, here's hoping this will evolve and grow a lot more towards what is possible. Best thing about Eve is the possibility of further growth and iteration, but at some point CCP will have to start reaching towards their lofty goals and not just paint pictures of a tomorrow which may never come. Right now they're going for the very lowest hanging fruit so that they can say "look at us, we did it! We can walk on stations!"
« Last Edit: 25 May 2011, 11:20 by GoGo Yubari »

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2011, 11:20 »

I'm "meh" about it for the sole reason that I want socialization. Beyond that, it looks okay. But until I can invite attractive women to my quarters or, better, make shady deals someplace, then it's just irrelevant eye candy.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2011, 11:23 »

For now its irrelevant, except for new players maybe. I will have an opinion when we will be able to exit this damn claustrophobic closet :p

And the view on the hangar is still crappy and unrealistic/credible. Other than that I am still more or less eager to see the next steps (the really important ones).

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #7 on: 25 May 2011, 11:24 »

I think the designers are more excited about this than the players. It should be introduced but, I don't think as a main selling point, especially when functionally it has very little use (if any) beyond what we are capable of doing now. Now, when they finish Incarna and allow people to interact and open up their own locations and make products you can sell? That's at least -something-.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #8 on: 25 May 2011, 11:30 »

I'll probably be crap when it's released.  Buggy, or goofy, or click-festy, or generally unnecessary.  So, here's hoping it won't be forgotten for the next ooh shiney.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 26 May 2011, 00:02 »

Right now they're going for the very lowest hanging fruit so that they can say "look at us, we did it! We can walk on stations!"

That's not what I take away from this at all.

CCP has been pretty clear on what it wants for Incarna, and this isn't it. Yet. This is the teeny little baby step, the proverbial camel's nose in the tent, and if CCP is trying to paint it as a nifty thing in its own right, that's ultimately just marketing. But you have to start somewhere, and CCP (along with us) has gotten burned in the past by trying to do too much, too fast.

Am I thrilled? No. Am I satisfied? Hardly. Am I rolling my eyes and predicting a miserable outcome? No.

Hell no.

Saying that this is "utter crap" is like looking at the camel's nose and saying, "This is what is going to carry me through the desert? Pfft." (Yes, I know that's not at all what that story's about.) It's like looking at the poured-cement foundation of a house and saying, "This house is shit."

This isn't a finished product; it's not even the equivalent of a freaking demo level. It's redundant and ho-hum precisely because they want to get it in and get it working before they expand on it.

If CCP fails to expand on it, we will have cause for rage: you can't ride through the desert on just a camel's nose; just a foundation won't shelter you from the rain, much less provide you a cosy spot to set up your WiFi. Until then, however, there is little reason to think that the next "shiny thing" won't consist of a bunch of social spaces and storefronts.

And no, I don't think this is a goddamn thing like COSMOS or faction warfare. Both of those are finished, if violently flawed, products; Incarna, so far, is a fragment.

Nothing more.
« Last Edit: 26 May 2011, 00:07 by Aria Jenneth »

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #10 on: 26 May 2011, 00:47 »

Here is the slide of technical hurdles that must be accomplished for CQ:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9kSMkp3juM&t=8m42s

So yeah, if the content is a bit lacking in the first release, I don't blame them. They just built a new engine from scratch. The tools need to be ready before content can be made rapid-fire.

Having been on Duality I can tell you that most of these details in the engine are being hit. The image-based lens flares look really cool.
« Last Edit: 26 May 2011, 00:50 by Kyoko Sakoda »

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2011, 05:36 »

If CCP fails to expand on it, we will have cause for rage: you can't ride through the desert on just a camel's nose; just a foundation won't shelter you from the rain, much less provide you a cosy spot to set up your WiFi. Until then, however, there is little reason to think that the next "shiny thing" won't consist of a bunch of social spaces and storefronts.

A lot of people are arguing that the previous noses that got stuck into the tent turned out to be detachable pieces which never amounted to anything else. No camel, just nose. Now, while that argumentation does have a point, I don't have a problem with the game's design in general (while yes, I would like them to build and iterate on what's already been done too, for sure).

Yes, there will be more. The "big vision" that they've shown us is that there will be social spaces, stores and contraband stuff. [irony] Color me frickin' amazed. [/irony] That's what they're doing with this opportunity?

Of course, we'll have to see when all of it gets done and what else is promised. I'm just saying that right now I'm not at all impressed. If there's not much gameplay there, I'll at least hope it will look good. We all hope - I think - they'll succeed in blowing my socks off.

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #12 on: 26 May 2011, 05:44 »

It looks good, but there's no meat.

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #13 on: 26 May 2011, 12:24 »

If CCP fails to expand on it...

I know where I'd be putting my money given CCP's track record. Were I a betting man. :P
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #14 on: 26 May 2011, 12:30 »

They'll be expanding this for the simple reason.

It relates to their standing in the game development world, for them to pull this off. It's not like factional warfare or other game features, which have absolutely no standing when measured alongside this technology.

I believe thinking otherwise is erroneous.
Pages: [1] 2 3