Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Evanda Char's voluval mark is the "Track of the Wolf"?

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Abuse of the reporting system  (Read 2623 times)

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
Re: Abuse of the reporting system
« Reply #15 on: 20 May 2011, 16:14 »

Speaking of this, do you guys like, nuke any reported post regardless of what it says? Or do you try and take into context the post, 'cause, I really don't think any of my recently nuked posts were 'ARGH U MAD/OMG U TROLL', yet here I am, wondering why they went bai bai.

I mean, I understand, I am not as popular as some of the more hard core RPers, so maybe my (maybe slightly trolly) posts don't carry as much weight as Jade's, but...  :ugh:

In my experience, we generally try to do what we can to look at the context of the post as well as the poster themselves, but also who is reporting the post - people who are prone to posting flamebaity material or otherwise toeing the line (or crossing it) tend to get a much more scrutinizing look from me when I look at reports than those who don't, and people who demonstrate a habit of not reporting "in good faith" (not the best phrase to use, I know, but I can't really think of one that fits better) will have their reasons for reporting more heavily scrutinized before any action is taken.

With the exception of particularly grievous violations of the rules, the majority of reported posts are looked at by multiple members of the moderation staff before any action is taken, so that we can take all of these factors into account.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #16 on: 20 May 2011, 17:02 »

Speaking for myself, when I log in to Backstage I check open mod reports first and then use the 'unread posts' option to read through as many new posts as I have time for. This means that I am more likely to see a post if it has been reported than if it hasn't. If a post has been reported, I look at the context in the thread to see if I agree immediately that the post breaches the rules, if I am not immediately convinced I make a note for the other mods on what I think so they have my input on whether action should or should not be taken.

In addition, when I see a post in general reading that I think is a clear breach of the guidelines, I'll mod straight away, but if I see something that I'm not entirely sure about, I use the report function myself to flag the post for other mods to see if action should be taken.

While an ideal situation would be that multiple mods looked at each and every post and discussed it, this can mean posts standing for quite some time before everyone has been on line to look at it. The longer a post stands, the more likely that the rest of the thread will go down hill, in my experience, so I try to balance the need for prompt action with the need for considered action.

But no, we absolutely do not nuke every reported post.
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #17 on: 20 May 2011, 17:21 »

The direction of a thread subsequent to a given post, where we can determine a connection, also factors into the decisions we make.
Pages: 1 [2]