Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The 'Heaven' constellation in Curse is the former location of the Third Jove Empire and the current headquarters of the vast Angel Cartel?

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: World Ship News ???  (Read 5645 times)

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
Re: World Ship News ???
« Reply #15 on: 17 May 2011, 12:51 »

It took quite some time for CCP to get an Emperor on the Golden Throne.

Even then they botched it up.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Jocca Quinn

• Wetgraver
« Reply #16 on: 17 May 2011, 13:33 »

Thanks for locating this for me, I had no idea it was player made, reads quite well to me.

At least I didn't imagine it.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #17 on: 17 May 2011, 13:38 »

I suspect the player writing it is someone who is also with Mercury
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #18 on: 17 May 2011, 15:39 »

I have it on good authority that is not the case, but it should be in that Mercury would benefit.

Verone

• Dirty Gurista Loyalist
  • Egger
  • :3
    • Veto Corp.Com
« Reply #19 on: 17 May 2011, 15:57 »

Incorrect.

I've been made aware of who's alt it is after asking around a little, and doing some research to confirm initial suspicions, and said person isn't involved with Mercury afaik.

Still, all credit to the inventiveness I guess  :)

Yoshito Sanders

• Egger
« Reply #20 on: 17 May 2011, 21:46 »

Just because you guys can write something quickly doesn't mean it's something that CCP would accept. Over the course of a year from late 2008 to late 2009 I wrote a chronicle-length story every week. That doesn't mean that if I was in Abraxas's position that I'd be getting twice as many chronicles out the door. I assume they have to go through a lot more checks and balances than a player would, they probably require editing and checking stuff with a comb to make sure it doesn't contradict PF.

Also, if they've changed where they're focusing resources, that's probably a good thing. Chrons were nice and all, but getting a story every 2 weeks that added little to the backstory or overall plot of the world wasn't really the best way to do things. Sure, every so often we'd get something that was tied in to the overall story, but more often than not we got Extinction Burst or King Slaver which, while interesting stories, didn't really have much impact on the storyline.

If they're trying to make a coherent wiki for the backstory, I think that'll be excellent once released. Because the backstory isn't exactly well fleshed out at the moment. If they're truly taking the story seriously, that's the first thing they need to do, instead of adding bits and pieces here and there which wind up contradicting each other later or never being followed up on.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #21 on: 18 May 2011, 08:02 »

Well, the latest one by Aicar is pretty funny. EVE's Colonel Gaddafi!

Zenga zenga!

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #22 on: 18 May 2011, 10:29 »

Quote from: Yoshito Sanders
Also, saying that CCP doesn't care about the story and RP is rather laughable, considering that the Incursion expansion was altered massively because of player response to the live events.

I hate to take up the bitter vet role yet again, but I'd argue the exact opposite.   The decision was made before any of the actual ground work had been laid, so it's not like they had to go back and changed anything.  Additionally the decision, which has permanent and far reaching affects on the story line, was made on a whim.   

I’m not saying it wasn’t a good decision, the Sansha do make the most sense, but it was a last minute change made without much oversight or interest from the higer ups, like say Helmar.  There are a handful of people at CCP who care about the story line and it’s at best a minor collateral job for any of them.   They get marching orders to make up something flashy for the next expansion and no support, input, or oversight from their bosses.

Tbh, I think the guys actually doing this stuff, even Tony G,  are doing a pretty good job with the other demands on their time and the limited resources they have to use.   It's the big whigs that deserve our EMO angst.

Well, the latest one by Aicar is pretty funny. EVE's Colonel Gaddafi!
Zenga zenga!

Out of curiosity, is Aicar your alt?  My gut tells me she is, but I'll believe you if you say she isn't.
« Last Edit: 18 May 2011, 10:31 by Hamish Grayson »

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #23 on: 18 May 2011, 12:04 »

but more often than not we got Extinction Burst or

I still suspect Extinction Burst is CCP subtly making fun of the playerbase for not understanding Wspace yet.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #24 on: 18 May 2011, 12:19 »

I still suspect Extinction Burst is CCP subtly making fun of the playerbase for not understanding Wspace yet.

I preferred Nikiruu's explanation. Its one of the dev's trying to let out in a way that won't get him fired, that there is no solution to wormhole space, there is no way to figure out the puzzle.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #25 on: 18 May 2011, 17:16 »

Out of curiosity, is Aicar your alt?  My gut tells me she is, but I'll believe you if you say she isn't.

I know who it is, but revealing the "main" would just negatively influence how people respond/react to Aicar. In EVE RP, people only assume the worst of others, everyone out to get each other etc.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #26 on: 18 May 2011, 17:47 »

In EVE RP, people only assume the worst of others, everyone out to get each other etc.

Fixt. ;)

Shae Tiann

• Sweet little bad girl
  • Egger
    • Sweet Little Bad Girl
« Reply #27 on: 18 May 2011, 20:14 »

I always figured it was a suggestion that we were supposed to think (and act) outside the box about the Sansha stuff :3

I'd like to suggest that this thread should be moved to Player-Driven Content. The writer of the article in question is either a player (which I believe is the truth) or posting as one; either way, it's not CCP-sanctioned content.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #28 on: 18 May 2011, 20:27 »

[mod]Fair point! Done![/mod]

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #29 on: 19 May 2011, 19:11 »

I preferred Nikiruu's explanation. Its one of the dev's trying to let out in a way that won't get him fired, that there is no solution to wormhole space, there is no way to figure out the puzzle.

Whenever someone tells me there's nothing to figure out, or no solution to a problem, I immediately tend to suspect that they're hiding something or lying to me. I'm usually right :D
Pages: 1 [2]