Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Sukuuvestaa megacorporation owns as much as 1/3 of all real estate in the Caldari State, and is considered one of the State's most ruthless corporations?

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Family Structure in Eve  (Read 6145 times)

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Re: Family Structure in Eve
« Reply #15 on: 21 Apr 2010, 10:52 »

Well, marriage (in some form or other) is a near constant in human cultures as I recall. At least historically, up to this point. Now, it isn't always between one man and one woman. Historically, one man and multiple women is a common model, but that is historically (more on that in a minute).

In Eve, I'm sure one man/one woman is still common. I suspect that other models are also fairly common, perhaps depending on where you look. I don't just mean which empire, but down at a more local level, particularly with empires that are less homogenous culturally (Gallente, Minmatar, most of the 'minor' factions, perhaps some places in the Empire.)

In the State, there is evidence of some cultural taboos, the one we know about for sure being homosexuality. On the other hand, there is heavy use of growing children in tubes. That means that in terms of reproductive strategy, women don't have to go through an entire pregnancy. I would be interested in finding out about the State's (or perhaps it would be by corporation?) position on abortion. If the attitude about homosexuality is population-driven, it suggests potentially a corresponding anti-abortion stance (particularly when they can grow the kid in a tube instead).

OFC given the ability to grow population on demand via tube child programs, a taboo on homosexuality seems maladaptive. Cultures do change only so fast, though. It may be rooted in the pre-diaspora (pre-tube-child) culture too, Caldari Prime not being the nicest place to live.

Anyway it seems to me that the tube child program essentially removes practical, reproductive issues for nearly any family arrangement. That doesn't mean the culture is in a place where people could actually take advantage of that (particularly in more conservative parts of the State). There might be more liberal corporations (not in the political sense, since Hyasyoda, for example, is liberal politically, but being one of the oldest corporations and run by the same family might have a more conservative culture internally, whereas NOH is 'practical' but strikes me as having a liberal internal culture) that are open to non-traditional models (whatever the traditional models are, for the Caldari).

There is also the issue of entirely new family models arising solely from tube child programs. One of my characters was raised in a crèche, and 'family' to her is siblings (some closer than others, not necessarily blood-related). In her crèche, there wasn't a strong parental bond with supervisors etc, so the extent of her 'family' is the other kids from the crèche. This gives rise to an idea of non-blood relations being 'family' in (to her) a very real sense.

This also means that her domestic arrangements growing up were not unlike being in barracks, with everyone living largely in common areas.

Outside the State, particularly in the Federation, I imagine that they have the tech for tube child programs, but not the Caldari cultural baggage. So, assuming someone can afford tube-growing, it opens up a great many possibilities.

I also suspect that whatever 'traditional' is for the Caldari, you see a lot of 'non-traditional' among the Guristas. Kinda the point, after all.  :D

I suspect that in the State, setting aside the tube-kid part, there might be a lot of extended family living together. Probably also common in the Empire. I do wonder how things like inheritance are worked out in the Empire, since by all evidence there is essentially gender equality. Oldest child? What if there is a child from before a given marriage, and one from the marriage? Who inherits what? Seems like it has potential.

Others have a better grip on the Republic than I do, and I think the stuff that has been written about it is fascinating. I have thought a lot about Thukkers, and imagine it might be 'it takes a ship to raise a child' in many cases.

I wonder about people who travel far, often, but unlike the Thukkers not with their family. If you fly for the Cartel, say, and you only go 'home' once in a great while. Do those poor men and women in frigates in .5 Republic space have families waiting for them back in Curse? Husbands, wives, or some other arrangement (as doesn't seem unlikely with the Cartel) waiting, worried, for word from them?

I've a character (Hilion Narath) who is an ex-Cartel pilot. He never settled (and his family background was growing up with a large extended family of well-to-do commoners in the Kingdom) but surely there are pilots in that situation who do try to start a family, of whatever stripe. Maybe there are certain arrangements that would work particularly well, for that? Larger family groups for example, to provide support.

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #16 on: 21 Apr 2010, 12:24 »

I think of the majority of EVE players being Caldari, and I expect a preponderance of State-originating mouth-breathers among the playerbase who use expressions like 'no homo,' and I giggle at how this correlates with State culture.

[mod]using "mouth breathers" to refer to other players, isn't really on, is it? Please don't do this.[/mod]
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2010, 13:59 by Louella Dougans »

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #17 on: 21 Apr 2010, 12:31 »

At least in the little spot Lae' grw up in marriage is seen as just the perfect way to seal a contract, much better than by handshakes or signatures anyways.

The khanid flavour texts I know point us towards a distinct rolemodel for their families, where the men are occupied by whatever tasks they have (the example is warfare iirc), and the women have to run the household and their families business in their husbands absence.

On the topic of household slaves I think a good way to deal with them is by taking roman society (I know, *hiss bitch* romans aren't amarrians) and their handling of slaves ... or most other societies who dealt with people of such status on a daily basis.

In general I think marriage out of love would be, if not looked down upon, at least be considered a show of weakness or a childish affliction. The amarrians do not strike me as very kind towards the individual when the greater whole is concerned and I guess this involves family life as much as anything else.

P.S.: Political marriage also makes for a good background for intrigue and other such fun stuff, which, as many early chronicles (i.e. Dam Torsad), are all too common amongst the upper class of the empire.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 22 Apr 2010, 10:52 »

Polygamy of the Ni-Kunni.

That would be an interesting mess to roleplay with.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #19 on: 22 Apr 2010, 10:57 »

* Casiella rolls a Ni-Kunni male. >.>

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #20 on: 24 Apr 2010, 10:33 »

Historically, a lot of cultures are polygamous. OFC, going back to the tube kid thing - and gender equality - it would seem to open the door to women having multiple husbands being more likely than in current cultures (since as I recall, historically, it is most often the other way round).

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #21 on: 24 Apr 2010, 10:43 »

Most often, sure, but I recall polyandry (as opposed to polygyny) being practiced in Nepal... I think it was?

Anyway, yeah, harems FTW.
* Casiella cloaks and hightails it for the covert cyno.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #22 on: 24 Apr 2010, 11:00 »

As I recall there is a matriarchal, and matrilineal Muslim culture somewhere in Indonesia too (though I don't recall rules about marriage for them). It is just less common.

What about rules of inheritance etc in general? How names are passed on?

Jakiin

• Sorceror of Semantic
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #23 on: 24 Apr 2010, 11:40 »

Jak was the only child and thus only apparent heir to a Holder family in the high end of the Kingdom's political sphere (Though they own very little actual land - most of their Holdings are space-based). It was a typical one man/one woman couple (Though I've never been of the belief that homosexuality is considered a 'sin' in Amarr, unless I've missed something) but he spent almost all of his time in classes, being tutored by his guardian slave Kaarn (Who he still brings along with him), being lectured by his father (Stern man), or playing with his friend (And now sweetheart) so he doesn't have a very strong relationship with his mother (Are the brackets annoying you yet?).

Vieve

« Reply #24 on: 27 Apr 2010, 09:40 »

I started writing about the complicated family relationships of my characters, but I started laughing and couldn't stop.

In this corner of the EVE sandbox, I have a mother, her two (or three) daughters, and a son and grandson who I'm grateful are both way too young to have around as PCs or invested NPCs.  That's not even counting their extended family.   Or the ones of my completely unconnected alts.

Good grief.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #25 on: 01 May 2010, 19:52 »

See, I would worry that I would have trouble portraying a 'non-standard' (by current western standards etc) family structure well. It's outside my experience, which I suppose is part of RP, but I would still be concerned about it.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #26 on: 02 May 2010, 13:17 »

Writing about it (perhaps not in the context of your main character) might provide a great opportunity to explore the implications of such a "non-standard" family. How does the Intaki "rebirth" concept affect things, for example?
Pages: 1 [2]