Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the Battle of Tears, between Minmatar and Ammatar forces in YC102, was one of the highest casualty battles ever fought in New Eden.

Author Topic: Bank of France....In space?  (Read 2793 times)

Kaleigh Doyle

Bank of France....In space?
« on: 02 May 2011, 21:46 »

A silly subject for hopefully an interesting topic. I've been contemplating forming a new corporation designed to be a bank with a roleplay hitch.

My initial concept would be starting a bank that offers loans to individuals and corporations with projects that encourage pro-egalitarian ideals (pro-fed, pro-republic). This could range from a newbie pilot in the Federation looking to get established with their first mission ship to a pro-fed organization looking for capital to erect a POS. Initially, investors in the bank would buy shares in the bank, and the capital would be used to provide loans to those in need. The loans, provided they aren't defaulted on, would garner interest to be paid back to the investors on a monthly basis.

The corporation would hire two kinds of employees- bank officers who handle the details of the transaction requests, gather the background on the individual, and their proposal, and make assessments on the risk involved in making the loan. Ultimately, I as the CEO would make the final decision on all loans and have sole access to bank funds. The others would be loan 'enforcers', who would essentially be the muscle of the organization that pro-actively seeks out payment from deadbeat defaulters that may have scammed the organization. I kinda like the idea of extorting deadbeats.

Obviously there are several hurdles to overcome:

:eek: Finding investors who trust in this idea and my oversight of the corporation to invest their hard-earned isk with the hopes of gaining a long-term profit from the company. Arguably, I think this is probably the easiest of difficulties to overcome.

:bear: Finding respectable clients within our narrow RP concept that will actually utilize the service this corporation provides.

:yar: Developing a loan system that minimizes the risk of the bank and its investors, while encouraging customers to build a trusting relationship with the company. In other words, the bank isn't going to front 1 billion ISK loans to disreputable individuals with no proven record with the corporation.

Some of the cool parts about this, in my eyes, is we provide a valid, ingame service that enhances other character's game play. The roleplay motivation and direct impact on those decisions might encourage players who aren't necessarily RP centric to adopt our ideals, impacting decisions in-game. The corp model encourages everyone to invest in the company and see it's success, even the muscle. The corp standing system allows our clients to build an active reputation with us with some real consequence.

So there's my concept, and I'd appreciate any overall feedback on it.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.

Kaleigh Doyle

Re: Bank of France....In space?
« Reply #2 on: 03 May 2011, 09:36 »

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #3 on: 03 May 2011, 10:51 »

New branch of the Bank of Luminaire looking to bankroll capsuleer ventures?  I rather like the idea.  Lot of trust issues to overcome, given how we've seen these sorts of projects fail in the past, but with the right polish (and especially the RP angle) I think you could definitely get something moving again. 

Presume you'd use wardecs to enforce collection activities?  That's a rather :curly moustache: element.  Would you just  go for a level of monetary damage equal to or some multiple of the loan value or actually try to ransom and extract the money by threat?  Whatever the goal, you'd need to bring on a crack team of combat pilots.

Chowda

• Egger
« Reply #4 on: 03 May 2011, 11:19 »

Kudlow N'cramer would likely invest considerably in such a venture. 

An idea I was toying around with for the political party page project (still in the works, on an Evelopedia anal retentive rampage - leave me alone) was having Kudlow raise funds for a national progessor scholarship fund.  Basically, the isk donations would be for roleplaying purposes, 100% of the donations going to newer pilots exceeding in militia.  What I was going to do was ask around the bigger corps for candidates and then check the killboards to see how active they are the amount of isk they burn flying in militia.  The stipulation being they linked the the yet to be created page in their bio. 

not sure if I'll ever go through with something like that, but that's what I came up with for worthy Federation recipients.       

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #5 on: 03 May 2011, 12:13 »

I suppose my main area of concern in the area of discussion on these boards is whether the egalitarian angle is broad enough to gather enough support or if im shooting myself in the foot with it.

Chowda

• Egger
« Reply #6 on: 04 May 2011, 09:25 »

I suppose my main area of concern in the area of discussion on these boards is whether the egalitarian angle is broad enough to gather enough support or if im shooting myself in the foot with it.
Depends.  Are we talking equality at birth and under the law, or equality through government equalizing outcomes?  Big difference between the two and both have been called egalitarian.   

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #7 on: 04 May 2011, 09:30 »

Depends.  Are we talking equality at birth and under the law, or equality through government equalizing outcomes?  Big difference between the two and both have been called egalitarian.   
Uh, I don't really know any Commies in EVE, and considering I was originally talking about the Federation, probably the former rather than the latter.

Chowda

• Egger
« Reply #8 on: 04 May 2011, 10:53 »

Uh, I don't really know any Commies in EVE, and considering I was originally talking about the Federation, probably the former rather than the latter.
I was referring more towards affirmative action for immigrants, isk and scholarships to the poor, stuff like that.  Just by the bit of confusion, I think you have your answer. :)

You may have better luck finding pilots who like fighting for the Fed, open to at least the immersion aspect of why they are fighting found by reliable references in the FDU, and use the loans as a learning experience for them somehow.  Some may embrace it, some may shrug it off. 

Just throwing spitballs.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 04 May 2011, 18:04 »

How are capsuleers egalitarian?

Are you considering pursing microloans to new characters?  What collateral will you be willing to take for those loans?

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #10 on: 04 May 2011, 20:15 »

How are capsuleers egalitarian?
I think the question would be how they could behave egalitarian, and in the context of the Federation and capsuleers I was implying that this project could encourage corporations and capsuleers in general to adopt democratic and egalitarian principles. This means there would be a strong discouragement to lend to individuals who support slavery, caste systems (see Minmatar tribalists and Amarrians), piracy, and dictatorial entities. In other words, capsuleers thinking about democracy outside the borders of the Federation and out to 0.0.

In all honesty though I've pretty much scrapped the idea that we'll be solely pro-FED but we will be based in the Federation.

Are you considering pursuing microloans to new characters?
Honestly, I think my largest customer base will emanate from characters under six months old; the kind that are still discovering EVE and maybe trying to get into their first battleship. The kinds of money 0.0 and experienced players will want to request from us will most likely be unreasonable, especially if they don't have any collateral or reputation with our corporation.

What collateral will you be willing to take for those loans?
Well, some will be unsecured loans and if collateral is provided our willingness to loan will increase. Once a customer has established a good rapport with the institution we'll be more willing to loan more and with less interest.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 04 May 2011, 21:23 »

In other words, capsuleers thinking about democracy outside the borders of the Federation and out to 0.0.

In all honesty though I've pretty much scrapped the idea that we'll be solely pro-FED but we will be based in the Federation.
This makes me think you will want to operate on the "edge" of the Federation and encourage those corporations to succeed on the frontier and beyond.