Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that Frentix exists in a diluted version called Frenetix?

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dance and Culture Shift in New eden  (Read 5226 times)

Isobel Mitar

• Egger
Re: Dance and Culture Shift in New eden
« Reply #30 on: 28 Mar 2011, 04:57 »

Personally,  I have an approach similar to Borza, and if necessary explain names as something the translator does. ( http://www.eveonline.com/background/potw/default.asp?cid=apr02 )

The speaker uses a word in their own language and culture, and the translator finds a dance name that most closely matches the thing talked about for the listener. I explain made up dances as translator imperfections - the translator either did not know the original word at all, or there was no corresponding dance name that could be matched with any accuracy. :)

Isobel Mitar

• Egger
« Reply #31 on: 28 Mar 2011, 05:07 »

Then to some wild speculation in a separate post. The usual disclaimers about big cluster naturally apply. ;)

About Amarr dance styles, and Amarr formal balls:

I personally imagine upper-class Amarr public social dancing as regal, formal and elaborate. Something that makes upstarts without proper breeding and education stumble embarrassingly and show their common roots?  :P

I imagine mostly dances for small groups of both genders. Intricate dance figures, symbology traced to the floor by dance choreography. Moderately complex but not very athletic steps - stuff that looks good in formal robes, but does not create an undignified smell of sweat.

I imagine very little or no body contact at all - couples/groups might hold hands, a common token like a ribbon, or perhaps not touch each other at all, only connected by simultaneous movement. Possibly the person in higher social standing would "lead" if there are parts where one has to go first or decide on a variation of coreography. Perhaps pauses where some people in the dance set stop dancing for a bit to allow for court intrigue?

There would also naturally be less formal social dance styles for less public and formal occasions, where appearances and dignity would not be so much an issue. I tend to imagine Amarr as a people with a strict ideas about what is appropriate in public and private.

About waltzing:

If I had to pick a single Eve nation for waltz, to me personally waltz (and most other ballroom dancing) associates most strongly with Gallente. Specifically, a Gallente formal social dance feel.

Male-female couples. Partner held in close body contact encircled by your arms (and legs stepping between legs!). Couples dancing simultaneously in the same ballroom with very little personal space reserved for each.

Improvised freeform steps and figures based on simple basic step and rhythm. Easy to learn and participate in for everybody. And everybody does get to participate equally all at once, instead of, say, only after all the higher-rank people have danced.
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2011, 01:49 by Isobel Mitar »

Laria Raven

• Evil. In a dappy way. Kind of dappy-evil.
  • Wetgraver
    • All Alone In The Night
« Reply #32 on: 29 Mar 2011, 06:24 »

I personally imagine upper-class Amarr public social dancing as regal, formal and elaborate. Something that makes upstarts without proper breeding and education stumble embarrassingly and show their common roots?  :P

Something like a Pavanne, then?

Saede Riordan > Yeah and Leopold is the human pond scum. Laria's alright...ish.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #33 on: 29 Mar 2011, 17:17 »

Something like a Pavanne, then?

With galliards and gavottes and the like to show the oicks how it's done. Vigor, but controlled and refined vigor.
Pages: 1 2 [3]