Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the DED and the Sisters of EVE cooperate on audits of megacorps? (The Burning Life p 35)

Author Topic: This is NOT a stab at moderators.  (Read 1457 times)

Boma Airaken

• Egger
This is NOT a stab at moderators.
« on: 08 Mar 2011, 04:25 »

To continue where we left off:

Frankly I am with Ben 100% on this. New stuff needs to be embraced and not shot down. Sure I am going to set the record for third ban in record time, but as it stands currently, I don't care.

The remark about "8 years of dedication" so what. You are stale and old and you violently oppose anything new, weird, and offhand.
Moderator Comment Insults, flaming, generalizations.

RP needs to start evolving if it is going to continue to happen. The Slaver vs. Heathen and other loyalist shit is so played out and boring it has become embarrassing and is a huge turnoff to people I have met who express an interest in RP. Is it bad? In its current form, hell yes.
Moderator Comment 'ur doing it wrong', generalizations, flaming.

Dig deeper. Amarrians? Pick a royal family already. Matari? Pick a tribe. Caldari? Pick a mega or go Ethnic/Achura.

The old school is just too broad and ripe for mudslinging. It is too comfortable and too easy.

Ok so my Forum fu is bad, what with moderator comments being all wonky and me not knowing how to format them via C&P and all that.

Anyways. Here is my problem.

I LIKE backstage. I like it ALOT. Except for one thing. One thing that, like all other forums in RP communities suffer from. Either elitism, or an "everyone is a winner lets all hug" mentality.

I made a post, referenced above, where I addressed the RP COMMUNITY AS A WHOLE. I did not generalize certain characters. I did not tell any specific character, corporation, or alliance that they were "doing it wrong". You could perhaps perceive the "stale and old" comment as being addressed to certain persons, but it obviously wasn't.

At the end of the day I posted general opinions about general RP. My fear is that backstage is taking the elitist road and just turning in to yet another "we don't like this guy or that guy, and that guy said ghey and thats offensive to that other guy, or that one guy challenged one of our big contributors and we don't want him to cry so were gonna censor the fuck out of that guy that said that about that guy" kind of environment.

Is this a forum dedicated to EVE RP or is this a social club for the people the owners/moderators like? Why can't we challenge the RP of others? Why can't people be given 5 minutes to challenge mine before my posts get moderated?

Late night ramble I know. I am sick of getting banned and moderated for having an opinion and encouraging off the wall new RP. I am sick of getting banned or moderated for telling someone to quit crying after they are officially recognized by CCP in the news and want more.

I am sick of having to be MORE THAN NICE about stuff I don't like and desperately want people to be able to hate my face if I do something THEY don't like.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Re: This is NOT a stab at moderators.
« Reply #1 on: 08 Mar 2011, 04:52 »

You have never been moderated for encouraging RP, and noone has been moderated for 'challenging' a 'big contributor'. Moderation comes as a result of violating the guidelines. Full stop.

Whether you address a specific player or people who engage in a particular sort of RP ('Slaver vs Heathen', 'loyalist shit', etc.) you are still being insulting and flaming.

It doesn't really matter who 'you' is in "You are stale and old and you violently oppose anything new, weird, and offhand." It is still a generalization, and insulting, and flaming.

It is a forum dedicated to Eve RP, but it has rules and guidelines. We do require people to be polite, and post constructively, and not insult each other, among other things.

A few quotes from the FAQ:
This forum is an OOC place for EVE roleplayers to discuss the game and roleplaying. It is a place to exchange ideas and share information. It is a place for positive, polite debate. It is a place for discussion, not arguments.

It is a place for civil and courteous conversation. It is not a place for flamewars, bullying, point-scoring or other asshattery. (The Mods reserve the right to define 'asshattery' as behaviour not in line with the forum's purpose). It is not a place for people to show how 'wrong' others are. It is not a place for the ventilation of personal vendettas. It is not a place for insults, either veiled or explicit. It is not a place for telling other people they are 'doing it wrong".
Q: So you want us to act all lovey-dovey?
A: Yes. Deal with it.

Q: Doesn't being polite to people I disagree with make me a hypocrite?
A: No. It makes you a grown-up.

Q: Isn't that against my right to free speech?
A: Right again. Deal with that, too.

Q: Isn't all this subjective?
A: Yes. The Mods do their best to be fair, but inevitably, this is a subjective standard. Another thing for you to Deal With.

Q: What about free and frank debate?
A: Strange as it may seem, given some of the forums on the internet, but it is possible to have an honest exchange of views without being rude, hostile, offensive, aggressive or bullying. That kind of behaviour destroys communities, virtual and otherwise, and Will Not Be Tolerated.
Q: So I can't disagree with anyone's RP?
A: Sure you can disagree. Just do it politely, I'll even venture to say nicely, and remember that they have as much right to their opinion as you have to yours. For example: Player A writes: "I see the Intaki as space hippies." Player B answers: "Of course they aren't space hippies, there are no hippies in Eve." That would be the WRONG way to answer. The RIGHT way would be something like "Really? I see the Intaki as more techno-buddhists. That's how I play my character, but hey, it's a big Cluster, right?"

Those are among the guidelines you agree to when you sign up. I know not everyone likes them, but not liking them doesn't mean that they don't apply to you. You can characterize it as 'everyone is a winner, let's all hug' if you'd like. I would suggest instead that if you have a position that stands on it's own merits, it will ultimately win out based on that, rather than on the particular sort of rhetoric used.

You might start by explaining how you would build things that are new, rather than getting involved in tearing down the things you feel are old.

If you would like a board that encourage a more robust style of debate, you might try Chatsubo. That difference is a large part of why some of us went off and created Backstage in the first place.

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #2 on: 09 Mar 2011, 00:46 »

Well, since my obviously inflammatory previous post was murdered by Silver, I'll just say this: want a hug?
« Last Edit: 09 Mar 2011, 03:27 by DosTuMai »
do { aLittleDance(); make(aLittleLove&); cin.get(down); } while(tonight);
Quote from: Raynman37
Go down to the end, take a left at etc and you should see usr right there in front of you.

Major JSilva

« Reply #3 on: 09 Mar 2011, 02:55 »

Well, since my obviously inflammatory previous post was murdered by Silva, I'll just say this: want a hug?

I murdered one of your posts when was this??

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #4 on: 09 Mar 2011, 03:28 »

Well, since my obviously inflammatory previous post was murdered by Silva, I'll just say this: want a hug?

I murdered one of your posts when was this??
Fixeded it for you. =]
do { aLittleDance(); make(aLittleLove&); cin.get(down); } while(tonight);
Quote from: Raynman37
Go down to the end, take a left at etc and you should see usr right there in front of you.