Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Emperor Heideran VII died on 17.09YC105  of Turit Disease just two weeks after the publication of his opus 'Pax Amarria'.

Author Topic: [Fiction Contest] The Brawl.  (Read 787 times)

Jonathan Morrison

• Clonejack
[Fiction Contest] The Brawl.
« on: 07 Mar 2011, 23:48 »

Smoke swirled lazily through the air to join the hazy layer hanging in the rafters of the room. The grey changing to a golden haze and back as it traveled under the overhead lamps providing barely adequate light to see by.

The figures sat hunched over the table eating a thick gruel out of bowls, while one sat back and smoked a cigarette, the origin of the smoke.

The small bar on the outskirts of the level provided the perfect meeting place for people who didn't want to be known in the higher levels where the big wigs did their business. Down here was the perfect place to meet and solve one's honor when it had been tarnished.

Two shadows crept through the bar doors, halting slightly to adjust to the low light level while simultaneously waving away a barely clothed waitress pressing herself on them. With a pout and a few choice words she stomped off in hopes of gaining someone else attention. The newcomers navigated the bar floor, moving around tables with unconscious patrons, occasionally lifted the rare valuable ring or watch left in the open.

The smoker sniggered to himself as they approached, "Nothing new eh Jorsh? Always the opportunist not that these slags need it anyways."

The others at the table laughed around mouthfuls of food while the newcomers shrugged and grinned, their white teeth reflecting in the poor light.

"Nothing like a few extra kredits for the off time we get when boss is docked up and not out in space," Jorsh replied, his tone lightened by his finds.

The other man coughed at the cigarette smoke before talking, "Well it looks like they're gathering up in one of the main storage hangars... The doors have been bypassed so security and such doesn't know what's going on."

Those around the table looked up in earnest as they finished their meal and stepped down off the stools while the leader looked around briefly.

"How many we looking at here boys?"

"I'd say most from what I saw of them trickling in there. Looks like they've left the slaves behind to maintain their lord's ship or whatever. Saw a few poles and such as well which won't be a match for what we've got waiting for em," the second figure replied, grinning.

"I've sent out the call already to gather everyone not already drunk or drugged out and looks like we'll have similar size, but we're better than them so it won't matter a tit," Jorsh replied to the laughter of the group. "We just need to get over there and handle business Krik."

A minute later the small group of men exited the bar, a few pausing to stretch and pull out metal, retractable batons, while the rest pulled out nondescript wands and checked them before continuing on.

---

The rapid fall of boots was soon joined by another group and then another group until it all meshed into a multitude of stomping, running feet down the back corridors and alleys of the appointed hangar deck.

Figures emerged from them into the stark power lights above the main hangar blast doors, the subtle blueish and green hues of their uniforms bathed in light. Many wore leather jackets with dark red and black patches signifying the ship they crewed.

When all had gathered Krik shoved his way to the front of the massed crew men and began speaking loudly, "I'm glad you all could make it as tonight we show these slaver chumps who the real men are. We're gonna show them what real honor is about and we're gonna do it right and we're gonna do it mean."

The responding chorus of yells and cheers vibrated off the corridor walls, stopping people on the fringes of the entry way. Krik signaled for his men to calm down.

"When we go in there hold nothing back. Show these robe wearing pukes who really rules the skies and why we're always going to be better than they are!"

After another chorus of yelling and cheering, Krik nodded over to Jorsh who pulled a pack out and wired into the hangar door panel. A few moments later, the massive doors began to grate open showing the expansive hangar beyond and their targets waiting for them in the middle, their beige clothing catching easily in the light.

The crew entered the hangar and then waited while Jorsh closed the doors behind them, the resounding boom causing heads to turn back and look at the finality of the situation; there was no getting out of it now.

--

Krik and Jorsh walked at the head of their amassed crew members and walked the remaining few feet to the opposing gang's leader, a tall man dressed in robes of amber and beige. He towered over the two Caldari, but they showed nothing in response while looking up to his face.

"You all are about to receive righteous punishment for your blasphemies. You should be honored that we've decided to cur your tongues and show you the true light and justice that is the way of Amarr Victor!" The man cried out to the uproarious response of his men.

The Caldari men looked at one another and sniggered to themselves, causing the Amarrians to glare at them with hatred.

"You can be all righteous you want slave driver, but we've had higher and better codes and morals before you were even a thought in that shitty god's mind of yours," Jorsh responded in his deep baritone voice. The Caldari crew laughed at the discomfort of the Amarrians.

Krik slashed his hand down cutting off further argument and posturing. "We're gonna settle this now I hope you have a God to look after you when we're done with you all here tonight."

With that the leaders walked back to their crews, the hushed atmosphere charging as the crews prepared to fight one another, back alley gang style.

Poles, tools, and brass knuckles came out of pockets and robes and slapped against empty palms. Then Krik and another handful pulled out their wands and activated them, a faint red energy cascading around the tips to the gasps of the Amarr.

"You'd bring those things here you devious bastard!" The Amarr leader yelled out upon seeing the devices.

"You afraid that your fucking god isn't going to protect you now or something Jaadar? I thought you had nothing to fear with your self righteousness and all that shit?!" Krik yelled back as he readied himself.

The Amarrians yelled as they charged the Caldari and the crews met with a resounding clap of bodies. Poles and tools flashed in the light as they were brought down on backs, arms, legs, and heads. Men of both sides dropped, covered in blood and tried to get back up, but were trampled in the press of bodies while others didn't get up at all.

Krik slipped around two Amarr and stabbed them in the backs with his wand and grinned wickedly as he watched them spasm and roar in pain while their nerves were flayed with energy. He never saw Jaadar come up behind him and hit him square in the temple with a metal pipe and was knocked to the floor with blood pouring from his head.

Jorsh yelled and barreled through a group of fighters and tackled the Amarr to the ground where they began wrestling. Jorsh's greater strength and speed eventually won through as he began choking the leader with his hands.

He almost succeeded in choking the life out of the Amarr until a loud report of a pistol rang out suddenly.

--

The brutal melee halted suddenly, weapons paused mid stroke as everyone looked towards the hangar doors and the two figures standing there.

One was dressed in gold embroidered robes, his arms crossed in front of his chest, his brown hood pulled back to reveal a scarred face, dark with rage. The other was shorter by a few inches, but his massive bulk made up for it. His grey eyes clouded over in disbelief and hostility as he lowered his pistol.

"That will damned well be enough!" he yelled easily across the hangar. The men of the different crews separated slowly, dragging their bloodied friends back into their ranks.

The robed figured strode forward with a determination and yelled for the instigators of the fight. Nothing happened at first and then Jorsh and Jaadar slipped out of their ranks and met their leaders.

"You've gone beyond disgracing us. This ... this sneaky underhanded fighting shames everyone! You should know better Jaadar that the Lord frowns upon such things. I dictate who we enlighten and save, not you," The robed Amarrian yelled at his crew captain. He stopped and looked at his Caldari counter part in silence.

"I take it that Krik isn't among the living if he isn't here taking his shame as he should. For that you'll pay the price he would have Jorsh," The Caldari leader said calmly before raising his pistol and shooting Jorsh through the head, decorating the hangar floor in blood and brain matter. "The rest of you be damned. I've canceled all of your contracts. You've disgraced me, my ship, and yourselves and now you'll deal with the consequences. Don't even think to ask anything of me ever again."

After that the Caldari pilot walked back out of the hangar leaving what used to be his crew gaping in disbelief at Jorsh's corpse and the fact they no longer had jobs. Many broke out in cries of anger and injustice while others fell to the floor and wept to themselves.

The Amarrian leader looked at his men again before speaking again. "You all will pay penance as slaves to the current crew and families aboard my ship or you will find work elsewhere. You will be below those that I hold as slaves and will be treated as such. Consider yourselves lucky I don't execute all of you for what you've done here now."

Jaadar stammered at his captain before stopping and dropping to his knees in resignation. "Lord I would rather you take my life than let me live with the shame I've brought upon yourself and our God."

The captain turned around and laid his hand in Jaadar's head before replying, "You will not receive the easy way out of this. I will not take your life and you will no longer be welcome in the Empire except as a slave to pay for your sinfulness. Those who wish to have some sort of life remaining will report to post right now or find another way of living. It seems you have one right here."

The Amarrian captain turned and walked out of the hangar, his robes trailing behind as some of the crew followed in his wake, whispering praise to their God, while others collapsed to the floor and prayed for forgiveness that was not coming.

The Caldari pilot met his fellow outside of the hangar and nodded in respect. "You've done something that I could never after what just happened here. I hope we may meet in space some day and fight with respect of one another."

"You're kind of have no honor Juoshikken, however I can allow respect between us. I shall meet you on the field of battle and respect that we perhaps meet eye to eye on one thing," The Amarrian replied holding his hand out which Juoshikken shook.

"Until then Lord Kur Azum. I await that day with great anxiety and anticipation," Juoshikken replied releasing the handshake and turning away to walk back to his quarters and now crew-less ship.

The Amarrian said a short prayer and then went the opposite route to his own hangars to pray for guidance and help with a blasphemous crew and the hopes of getting more respectful men to maintain his ships.