Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The True Slaves are loyal, implant controlled slave troops of Sansha Kuvakei? Moar here.

Author Topic: Here's what 3 GTX 580 video cards do.  (Read 3947 times)

Benjamin Shepherd

Here's what 3 GTX 580 video cards do.
« on: 03 Mar 2011, 14:30 »

Taken from GDC '11. Thank you, computers, for being a decade ahead of console tech.

And please, for the love of god, try not to complain about how game plots are more important than graphics. This is a completely different topic. :mad:

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: Here's what 3 GTX 580 video cards do.
« Reply #1 on: 03 Mar 2011, 14:52 »

Uh, what game is that?

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #2 on: 03 Mar 2011, 15:03 »

Uh, what game is that?

Just a tech demo from GDC, looks very Deus Ex imo.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #3 on: 03 Mar 2011, 15:07 »

I would hit^H^H^Hplay that. Graphics and story matter but so does setting...

Anyway, yeah, that's pretty awesome.

Crucifire

« Reply #4 on: 03 Mar 2011, 15:26 »

Very nice!

Probably can't give the video cards all the credit though as there's most often a CPU bottleneck where it holds back the two or, in this case three, cards. The additional CPU cycles caused by the triple GPU's will still be too much on most recent top of the line systems. I'd like to see the specs for the entire system they used for the demo, it's gotta be a monster!

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #5 on: 03 Mar 2011, 18:00 »

Pretty.

I dunno, I've always been a bit of a graphics whore, but at the same time, I think that there is way too much focus on graphics now. Honestly, the standards attained by HL2 were fine. I don't need bokeh or whatever is the trickery du jour to immerse me in the game. I need something that looks like a reasonable facsimile of the world, sure, but none of the bells and whistles mean shit if the game has little player agency, or it is firmly on the rails for generic action plot #261 or yet another fantasy epic, or the difficulty levels rely on ever-increasing hitpoints and dumb bosses.

I think that it's a real problem for the industry when all the focus of the mainstream is on making games look as cinematic as possible when almost every other area has stagnated over the last decade. AI in particular has stood still. If anything, most games seem to have dumber enemies than they did in the original Half Life.

I'll go as far as to say that most of the releases I have played in the last five years have been dull as shit. They have looked pretty, but have all suffered with the increasing shallowness that is endemic in modern game development.
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Lyn Farel

« Reply #6 on: 04 Mar 2011, 05:01 »

Awesome. I work in graphic conception and this touches me a lot. Lets just hope this can be coupled with enormous Deus Ex-like scenarii *need*

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #7 on: 04 Mar 2011, 07:01 »

I have more!

Keep in mind that the post-processing effects are stylized with a film noir look, so not every game will be as gloomy or grainy.
« Last Edit: 04 Mar 2011, 07:03 by Benjamin Shepherd »

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #8 on: 05 Mar 2011, 03:38 »

Pretty nice, but, I'll have to agree on what Wanoha said, 100%.

Funnily enough HL2 was also my 'it won't need to get much nicer than this, honestly?'

I've seen Crysis at a friends place. Monster graphics, but the enemy AI wasn't especially impressive. Good, but nothing much above the line-cut.

Incidentally I still love all the classics, myself. Half-Life, Age of Wonders, Baldur's Gate 2, Warcraft 3, The Total War series... can hardly wait for Shogun 2. (Medieval 2 is still a pretty good game despite the awkward factional AI etc.)

Many new games out are pretty damn good to without relying on graphics alone. RecetTear is win, games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age and Fallout 3 (loved F1 and F2 too, btw) keep entertaining me. Their grapics are not killer-line either.

Besides, I don't want to play any shooter any time that is soo realistic in graphics that I'd think I'd shot some guy in RL. No thanks, I preffer my pixelated foes dropping with little horror, tyvm.

Also there is EVE. Wonderful graphics, but still so much content. The Enemy AI is yet to be beaten... wait a sec...

Lyn Farel

« Reply #9 on: 05 Mar 2011, 05:25 »

I find the graphics of EvE pretty crappy personally. Their textures are ok for a MMO, light effects too. Particules effects (lasers, projectiles, etc) are desperatly tasteless (remember homeworld that did 100 times better 3 years before trinity ? It was not due to amazing new graphic technology but artistic skills for immersion and feel of realism). Their planets are cool, but definitly not amazing (see Infinity the Quest for Earth). EvE graphic immersion is totally unexistant (excel in space nobody ?).

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #10 on: 05 Mar 2011, 09:35 »

« Last Edit: 05 Mar 2011, 09:37 by Benjamin Shepherd »

Benjamin Shepherd

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #12 on: 09 Mar 2011, 07:24 »

I love drooling over shiney pixels, but the best effects will be with a HD screen.
Shiney, shiney is great. As long as I have shineys, I'm happy and plotline can go perform mitosis.
do { aLittleDance(); make(aLittleLove&); cin.get(down); } while(tonight);
Quote from: Raynman37
Go down to the end, take a left at etc and you should see usr right there in front of you.