Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Sarum family is known for being the most belligerent royal family?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: How strong is your factional loyalty?  (Read 12843 times)

Vikarion

Re: How strong is your factional loyalty?
« Reply #60 on: 21 Feb 2011, 09:42 »

Also I'm gonna have to rail you about the State bit hear though I'm sure It wouldn't be uncommon as say a compeitition of sorts to support your megacorp because in the state you live and work for your mega corp. Though usually it just be for the state as individualism is neglected upon in the state. Problem si the caldari are usually a silent people so public support like that would be minimal I'd assume

I'd really like to know how this whole bit about the Caldari being silent at one sporting event in TBL is prima facie evidence that the whole culture is "quiet". Every other source of PF we have about the Caldari - that I am aware of - portrays them as rambunctious, unruly, competitive, rebellious, and expressive. Remember, the old character creator had the Caldari with tattoos, they are portrayed as loving sports and gambling, and they often hire out as mercenaries. Silent is, from my perceptions and reading of the PF, the very last thing the Caldari are. Yes, they are subtle and cunning at times, but those do not imply silence either.

In addition, while they are "collectivist" in nature, they certainly aren't so economically in any way. I like to think of it as such: if you had a group of Gallente and gave them a ball, they'd probably invent a game where everyone chased the person who had the ball. If you gave the Caldari a ball, they'd form teams with the objective of violently taking the ball from the other side. They like to form teams, groups, and then go do something.

But a silent culture? I really can't see that at all.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #61 on: 21 Feb 2011, 09:52 »

"rambunctious, unruly, competitive, rebellious, and expressive"

Sounds like those darned Gallentean and Minmatar youth to me. "Unquestioning loyalty" to a corporation doesn't sound rebellious or unruly (though there are of course dissedents). Self-expression is similarly a Gallente/Minmatar thing, with the fashion of the former, and the tattoos of the latter.

Anyway, perhaps people should consider character before faction? My own allegiance is to the UK not because of standing for freedom, good governance, people's welfare, cups of tea etc. etc. but because simply I've grown up here, and this is my country. Similarly with Seriphyn, it's not like "I serve the Federation because I believe in it" (and if he didn't he'd go join the Empire for some bizarre reason), but because he's grown up there, and that's shaped who he is. He's cynical and satirical about most things, realizing that freedom/liberty is just a PR tool, but does realize there are some truths to it. He thinks it's the best place to live purely because he would be a very different person if he lived somewhere else.

Of course, that is a massive retrospect. When I first started, it was because "yay democracy good guys" back when I was a rookie RP and utter newb.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #62 on: 21 Feb 2011, 11:39 »

"rambunctious, unruly, competitive, rebellious, and expressive"

Sounds like those darned Gallentean and Minmatar youth to me. "Unquestioning loyalty" to a corporation doesn't sound rebellious or unruly (though there are of course dissedents). Self-expression is similarly a Gallente/Minmatar thing, with the fashion of the former, and the tattoos of the latter.

I view all of the factions as much more multi-dimensional than that. I think there is ample evidence that the Caldari have a deep creative and artistic streak. I would also say that just because Caldari have a variety of cultural pressures, that doesn't mean they can't, don't, or wouldn't express themselves.

I would agree with Vikarion about 'rambunctious, unruly, competitive, rebellious, and expressive'. I think that it is the form it takes that would show marked differences from the Gallente or Minmatar. That is, I think most often Caldari work on the level of some collective entity, rather than as individuals - particularly when it comes to the competitive and rebellious parts. Whether it's at the level of a corporation, a department, or some other organization.

I think there might be this impression that the Caldari culture is this very set and old thing where everyone and their interactions are carefully delineated by the culture. That doesn't mesh with the fact that aside from the Minmatar, the Caldari have gone through more change, more recently, than virtually any other culture in Eve. The war, the ascension of corporations as a form of government, the exile, etc.

Edit: And to bring things back on-topic, I've had a Caldari keychain for the past 4 or 5 years.  ;)

Vikarion

« Reply #63 on: 21 Feb 2011, 14:27 »

And, as usual, Silver says it more concisely than I can, in a nicer way.  :P

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #64 on: 21 Feb 2011, 15:49 »

And, as usual, Silver says it more concisely than I can, in a nicer way.  :P
The only follow-up to it is - Why isn't Silver running a mega's capsuleer counterpart?

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #65 on: 22 Feb 2011, 20:50 »

The only follow-up to it is - Why isn't Silver running a mega's capsuleer counterpart?

When I recruited Silver into Re-Awakened, he said he'd only accept if we promised never to promote him into a position of responsibility, like ever.

I suspect that he's not really cut out for running a mega-corp.
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #66 on: 22 Feb 2011, 20:56 »

When I recruited Silver into Re-Awakened, he said he'd only accept if we promised never to promote him into a position of responsibility, like ever.

I suspect that he's not really cut out for running a mega-corp.
IIRC, I actually talked to him about it at the time; he wasn't/isn't interested in helping run a corporation.  I simply didn't remember when I posted.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #67 on: 22 Feb 2011, 22:49 »

Also I'm gonna have to rail you about the State bit hear though I'm sure It wouldn't be uncommon as say a compeitition of sorts to support your megacorp because in the state you live and work for your mega corp. Though usually it just be for the state as individualism is neglected upon in the state. Problem si the caldari are usually a silent people so public support like that would be minimal I'd assume

I'd really like to know how this whole bit about the Caldari being silent at one sporting event in TBL is prima facie evidence that the whole culture is "quiet". Every other source of PF we have about the Caldari - that I am aware of - portrays them as rambunctious, unruly, competitive, rebellious, and expressive. Remember, the old character creator had the Caldari with tattoos, they are portrayed as loving sports and gambling, and they often hire out as mercenaries. Silent is, from my perceptions and reading of the PF, the very last thing the Caldari are. Yes, they are subtle and cunning at times, but those do not imply silence either.

To be fair, and without trying to derail the thread.

I wouldn't use the words "rebellious" or "unruly" pre se. The Caldari can be forceful when they want to be, yes, as shown by the war against the Federation. In that sense, they can be rebellious.

However, I compare their rambunctious behavior more to ancient soldiers of Greece or Rome. The Legionnaires and Myrmidons (yes, I mythic examples count) could be considered highly energetic and competitive, not unlike the Civire. However, their loyalty was nothing but undying, and they followed their leadership more zealously than other soldiers of the time.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #68 on: 23 Feb 2011, 18:38 »

As a player I've no particular loyalties to one faction over another but I have a certain fondness for the Gallente Federation. I've always liked the Feds, perhaps because I started as a Federation RPer and the description at the time suited my interests the most. Maybe i see the Feds similar to B5 with the Black Eagles as they Psicorp aspect or that Much of the Federation reminds me of New Systems Commonwealth from Andromeda - High ideals and dark truths. The years old Fed shirt is my favourite and I still enjoy my coffee and tea from the Fed mug.

IC Vince's loyalties lie with the Guristas faction wise, though it is certainly under a lot of strain due to Venal still being aligned with Kuvakei and his Nation. He has a good deal of personal issues about the Nation.

Kazzzi

• Egger
« Reply #69 on: 05 Mar 2011, 09:44 »

I has a sekrit.

Kazzzi doesn't really care about slaves.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #70 on: 05 Mar 2011, 23:28 »

To be fair, and without trying to derail the thread.

I wouldn't use the words "rebellious" or "unruly" pre se. The Caldari can be forceful when they want to be, yes, as shown by the war against the Federation. In that sense, they can be rebellious.

However, I compare their rambunctious behavior more to ancient soldiers of Greece or Rome. The Legionnaires and Myrmidons (yes, I mythic examples count) could be considered highly energetic and competitive, not unlike the Civire. However, their loyalty was nothing but undying, and they followed their leadership more zealously than other soldiers of the time.

I actually rather enjoy this discussion, any way we could get it moved to thread specifically about the Caldari State?
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #71 on: 06 Mar 2011, 16:48 »

RL, my main loyalties go to my winged munkehz.
do { aLittleDance(); make(aLittleLove&); cin.get(down); } while(tonight);
Quote from: Raynman37
Go down to the end, take a left at etc and you should see usr right there in front of you.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #72 on: 06 Mar 2011, 18:03 »

Nikita's extremely loyal to the cartel, this is mostly because they let her be the ruthless monster she is, and play into her sociopathy.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Cmdr Baxter

• "The Old Man"
  • Egger
    • The Synenose Accord
« Reply #73 on: 08 Mar 2011, 17:24 »

I've never been able to break out of a trend of playing the iconic military men who lack sins in their pasts and do everything for "king and country" (past examples include a Royal Navy captain in the MMO "Pirates of the Burning Sea," and a first sergeant in Star Trek RP). I've tried RP'ing in the past as criminals, or shadowy cloak-and-dagger figures with mysterious pasts, but inevitably I find I can't associate with them and develop the characters. (I realize it's bland compared to other more colorful characters but it's what I do well.)

So when I play there's always been a strong military spin to my actions, thoughts, and calculations, and this influences factional loyalty. Loyalty to the Caldari Navy can and will always trump loyalty to the Caldari State.
« Last Edit: 08 Mar 2011, 17:28 by Cmdr Baxter »

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #74 on: 08 Mar 2011, 17:43 »

Casiella's loyalties are not what they apparently seem.

Like Vieve, I think they should be obvious, but from time to time it becomes clear that that's not the case.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]