Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That "because of Falcon" is passé?

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New Rule proposal  (Read 4910 times)

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
Re: New Rule proposal
« Reply #15 on: 19 Apr 2010, 04:03 »

The EVE answer for this issue would be 'Harden the Fuck Up'.

But all are welcome here, even the tenderest of special flowers!  :)
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #16 on: 19 Apr 2010, 05:49 »

The function of this rule is not to cover all cases that may or may not be flame-baiting or trolling.

Instead, it is to make clear to community members that hiding behind a ruleset will not be tolerated, and the perception that a user is attempting to hide behind a ruleset in order to avoid mod action will be swiftly acted upon. The likelihood that the action in question will be reversible and transparent is so high as to nearly assure it, and thus damage from being overly proactive is mitigated down to the near-nonexistant.

The rule reserves the...I would almost say right, but it's not exactly what I'd go for; they're mods. They have protocols.

This rule reserves the means for future moderators to make flexible and active judgements on the spot when users act up without having to codify what stepping over a line is in all cases. It strengthens the institution of proactive, transparent, and reversible moderation with a heavy dose of personal judgement.

The mods are our peers, or so we hope. As such, they get to judge us and express their opinions just as much as we get to give input on forum rules.

Yeah, that sounds about right maybe?

What do you think?

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #17 on: 19 Apr 2010, 09:46 »

Re: Cia's question, I appreciate this. I rarely resort to "obscene" language, and when I do, it's for specific effect. And when someone else does, I interpret it as a way of hardening their stance. "I don't care if this offends you."

HTFU is great and I drop it in many contexts, but it doesn't particularly fit the mission of this site as i understand it. Of course, crafting a relevant "rule" could prove very difficult, but certainly a guideline that reminds people to take into account that their choice of words will influence how others interpret their statements would fit.

TL;DR: if you tell somebody to "HTFU", don't get all surprised when they assume you're hostile.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #18 on: 19 Apr 2010, 09:55 »

words like 'fuck', 'cocksmoker', 'buttpirate', 'cumsmuggler', 'mouth breathing knuckledragger' and 'mom',

F-bombs are one thing.  All the rest of that is namecalling/direct insults (unless someone's mother happens to also post on the forum, I guess?)... doesn't really add anything useful to a discussion.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #19 on: 19 Apr 2010, 10:17 »

What about non-directed hostility of that sort? Or at least, not directed at other forum members. Personally, if I detect a large amount of anger, whether or not it's "real" and whether or not it's directed at me, I shy away from the discussion.

So thread titles that have a particularly unfriendly thrust may not encourage widespread conversation, despite the poster's actual intentions.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #20 on: 19 Apr 2010, 12:15 »

Personally (that is, this isn't any kind of 'official' answer), I think that MMOs and role-play in general are more than just 'games'; they're hobbies.  Checkers is a game.. two people can sit down, play a game, share a laugh and be done with it.  People generally don't get too emotionally invested in games.  Hobbies, on the other hand, bring out a lot of passion in most people.  Folks can get quite a bit more worked up over something they invest a lot of time and energy into.

I understand why a heated thread could be a turn-off to some readers, even if none of the rules are technically violated.  At the same time, I don't feel that a hobbyist's passion should be stifled.  I would suggest that if something seems a bit over the top, even if you can't point to an item in the Rules about why it's "out of line", if you genuinely believe that a thread is getting out of control then click the report button and be as clear in your description about why you're reporting it as you possibly can be.  We'll all see it and even if no direct action is taken, it will draw our attention to a thread that might otherwise not have been noticed as potentially problematic (nearly a thousand posts in three days - oy vey!)

We are not going to be "outing" people who click the Report button, so there should be no need to worry about forum revenge or that sort of thing.  We're also keen enough to spot it if someone decides to abuse the Report button with frivolous report spam, so anyone who worries that they might be targeted by such may rest assured that a Report will not automatically result in moderation.  There will be no "winning the forums by Report Wars." :)

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #21 on: 19 Apr 2010, 12:32 »

RP and MMOGs in general are of course hobbies, and forum dramaz generally don't drive most players away from the games they support. But the drama can drive members away from specific communities (and I refer here not just to Chatsubo, since most of us have seen the same effect in other places).

As much as I intend to continue to participate here, I don't yet feel like I should publicize it to folks with an interest in EVE immersion but not a strong connection to the self-selected "EVE RP community". I don't yet feel that the site has settled down to that point, because friends of mine would likely show up and after thirty minutes say "omg that place is batsh*t insane, wtf is wrong with Casi?!"

Hopefully that will change sooner rather than later.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 19 Apr 2010, 12:57 »

F-bombs are one thing.  All the rest of that is namecalling/direct insults (unless someone's mother happens to also post on the forum, I guess?)... doesn't really add anything useful to a discussion.

Sounds like a challenge :D

I've already used them in the context of adding something useful to a discussion.

So did yo:D

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #23 on: 19 Apr 2010, 13:09 »

Fuck.

Lall, the question moderators will likely ask themselves in invoking rule eleven when they review the posts of a potential troublemaker is whether that user's purpose to make trouble or be disruptive without breaking the rules.

No specifics are reserved because one cannot cover all specifics. Goading people into trying to do so for the sake of humoring you is...less fun than a lot of other shit you could be doing. I promise, man.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #24 on: 19 Apr 2010, 13:14 »

I don't really think meta-profanity, in this sense, is what Hav and SN intended, agreed.
Pages: 1 [2]