Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Lai Dai megacorporation has far ranging interests, is one of the foremost research companies in the cluster, and has strong links to the Khanid Kingdom?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Presenting "Family portrait" by Candra  (Read 5552 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Presenting "Family portrait" by Candra
« on: 12 Jan 2011, 05:15 »

I chose Candra purely because their art was very bright, vivid and detailed, which is exactly what I wanted to capture for a Gallente family portrait, as opposed to something :grimdark: as always. They also specialize in busty and voluptous women, and since female Gallenteans are supposedly the Hottest Women in the Galaxy™, I thought it would be fitting for Rhea.

The uniform I think is spectacular, it contrasts directly with a concept Caldari uniform here. While an equivalent dress uniform may not carry over into Incarna (if any uniforms are made at all), that can easily be explained by the FDU updating their uniforms by that point. The six service ribbons are from Seriphyn's GFMC days, while the red braid I figured may recognize him as either a CEO or having a senior position in the FDU (at least in the sense of the occupancy war at any rate). The sash I never really thought about, I figured it just added more character. In retrospect, it could perhaps be a "caste identifier" as a nod to his Jin-Mei heritage (though, I imagine the Jin-Mei have their own Federal uniforms altogether).

Rhea's outfit is based off of this. It is in respect of Seriphyn's [half-]racial heritage and the very diluted blood of the children (1/2 ethnic Gallente, 1/4 Jin-Mei, 1/4 Deteis). The kuashi is another element that adds to this design while maintaining the mainstream styles of Gallente/Mannar in the sense of flesh exposure and so on.

Anette was always described as 'exotic' looking, and I think Candra captured this fantastically. I always wondered how she got blue eyes, however, but Seriphyn's father has blue eyes, and so does Rhea, so I'm sure :genetics: explains it fine. If I ever get another ludicrous amount of money to spend again, I may see if Candra could develop a "poster pin up" of Anette in her 20s, as a famous Gallentean actress/activist...donned in skimpy/broken armour and carrying a weapon or two (that sorta stuff is the artist's speciality).

Anyway, I hope you think it's as awesome as I do. Feel free to show some support for the artist as well, their deviant page is there.

[spoiler]I also embarassed myself in front of the artist by being overthinking and constantly fickle...I still need to get over the trauma of shame...[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2011, 05:32 by Seriphyn »

Shalee Lianne

• Wetgraver
Re: Presenting "Family portrait" by Candra
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2011, 05:22 »

Wrong. Ni Kunni women are the hottest!

Shalee Lianne

• Wetgraver
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2011, 05:23 »

ps.  I don't actually see the picture...?  Where is it? Should I click something! ::sleepy::

(edit)
............nevermind, found the clicky button. 

Awesome picture btw.
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2011, 05:24 by Shalee Lianne »

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jan 2011, 05:27 »

What I want to know is what that baby is plotting...

His eyes... they are a portal into true madness. The kind that stares back!
* Mizhara goes to gibber in a corner for a while.

Edit: And it'd appear the DA comments agree, heheh.
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2011, 05:30 by Mizhara »

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jan 2011, 09:57 »

I like it! And yes, the baby is a bit creepy...  :lol:

Vieve

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jan 2011, 10:19 »

Love the colorwork and detailing on Anette's dress (which also looks like something an actual little girl would wear).  The diagonal pleat on the bodice also makes a nice complete arc with Rhea's sash while it echoes Seriphyn's, pinning her into the core of the picture while also suggesting that she'll go in the same direction as Seriphyn when the family unit breaks up (his hand on her shoulder, separating her from Rhea, also suggests that).

Also, holy damn, the baby's still plotting something.  Rhea's nicely positioned to be supportive of whatever he's plotting, too, since she's holding the kid and not touching either Seriphyn or Anette.*

*KPS/MPH may vary.  I've been looking at government contract language all damn day.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #6 on: 12 Jan 2011, 10:39 »

Thanks Seri. When next I agonize myself over what DA artist to ask for a commision from based on style, ability to take commisions and all that, I now know who to ask.

How much did you pay for that lovely picture?

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #7 on: 12 Jan 2011, 11:28 »

I love the baby. Can I corrupt the child even more? =P I mean, Dossie would make a great godmother for such a twisted looking child.
Stewie, look out, there's a new evil genious baby on the street.
do { aLittleDance(); make(aLittleLove&); cin.get(down); } while(tonight);
Quote from: Raynman37
Go down to the end, take a left at etc and you should see usr right there in front of you.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 12 Jan 2011, 12:12 »

This picture makes me feel as if the family is concealing a terrible secret... cannibalism or something.

And no-one's ever suspected them of it because of their winning smiles.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #9 on: 12 Jan 2011, 12:36 »

I love the baby. Can I corrupt the child even more? =P I mean, Dossie would make a great godmother for such a twisted looking child.
Stewie, look out, there's a new evil genious baby on the street.

Sanshas beat you to it.

But yeah, nice bling, even if there isn't nearly enough of it.

Also, Seri's a terrible father. Who lets their daughter wear a dress that short? *buries the social networking sites of Z's 16-year olds*
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
« Reply #10 on: 12 Jan 2011, 13:57 »

<-- This

And very nice work.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #11 on: 12 Jan 2011, 20:24 »

This picture makes me feel as if the family is concealing a terrible secret... cannibalism or something.

And no-one's ever suspected them of it because of their winning smiles.

funny, I was rather thinking the same thing. They're just not quite right, they're just a bit too perfect, a bit too happy.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 12 Jan 2011, 22:45 »

It's the plotting baby. I'm sure of it.

No, in all seriousness, this is absolutely amazing artwork.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Major JSilva

« Reply #13 on: 13 Jan 2011, 00:38 »

Nice work it turned out very well.

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #14 on: 13 Jan 2011, 02:06 »

<-- This

And very nice work.
Khanid are the sexiest. Followed swiftly by Vherokiorawhateveritsspelt then Achuran. Jin-Mei post-Carbon are going to be hawt, pre-Carbon Gallente don't really get a mention unfortunately.
do { aLittleDance(); make(aLittleLove&); cin.get(down); } while(tonight);
Quote from: Raynman37
Go down to the end, take a left at etc and you should see usr right there in front of you.
Pages: [1] 2