Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Vitoc is the antidote to a deadly toxin, not the poison itself?  For more information see Vitoc.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: [Split] Evemail/log sharing discussion (EULA, privacy, consent, etc)  (Read 5144 times)

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?

Perhaps CCP sought...

Didn't Seri post in an IGS thread asking about her? That's not really CCP seeking anything.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV

He sent a mail to Omune, but I was wondering about a degree of exploring that CCP does on Backstage and/or Chatsubo (Dropbear did link a tongue-in-cheek post from Backstage on EVE Fiction about me wanting to die happily regarding getting into PF somehow).

Completely different topic, anyway, that I might bring up elsewhere.

Sidetrack over yo

Syylara/Yaansu

• Egger

A couple of quick responses,

Criminal and civil issues are entirely different and I've mostly meant to keep to the civil suits side of things, poor use of the word "illegal" on my part.  I'm in no way trying to say that posting some chat logs constitutes criminal activity described in the CFAA and ECPA.  Furthermore, doesn't libel require you to prove not only false/misleading statements, but damages deriving from such?

I actually have no problem with our having zero claim to "virtual assets" but that comes from a general dislike for the idea of tying real dollar values to in-game assets and the implications for taxing and trading that brings with it.  So without valuation of assets, we would be left trying to quantify "I was not able to have as much fun after he blew up my ship."  I'm very much aware the EVE allows far more flexibility in behavior than a typical MMO, but I also think that the abuses that do spill over into real-world criminal behavior get glossed over sometimes and so the implications (lax rules breed malicious behavior) are often missed.  Circumventing security systems, DDoS attacks, and other abuses/violations (outside the game itself) have occurred in the name of "cut-throat fair play", but this discussion would (and has) taken years of study to just scratch the surface of.

However, I do see a fair point about how activities of "uber-spais!" and the turmoil and turbulence they bring to the game (which I'm quite welcome to see) would be hugely suppressed.  But then again, laws always have trouble with ambiguity and separating the "spirit" from the "letter".  As the saying goes, you can't legislate morality.

Finally, I'm not arguing from one extreme or the other.  There is no "the" alternative and if there were, I wouldn't be proposing it.  There is a continuum between the extremes with a long gradient of opinions (and furthermore, along multiple axes), mine just falls "elsewhere" not on the "other" side :9.
« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2011, 14:47 by Syylara/Yaansu »

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki

Just to throw this out there:

In my state recording any conversation and subsequent use of said recording requires only the permission of ONE party in the conversation. Therefore, I can record any conversation I'm a part of and do whatever I like with it because I am consenting to it.

As has been mentioned, it might be considered unethical, but it is not illegal.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran

... doesn't libel require you to prove not only false/misleading statements, but damages deriving from such?

Yep. Loss of dollar value = "damages." That's covered by the "is actually defamed"-- that is, actually suffers damage to value of reputation-- requirement of libel.

If I remember, there have been cases of people whose reputation was SO bad that no amount of libel could actually do further damage, resulting in zero recovery.

I actually have no problem with our having zero claim to "virtual assets" but that comes from a general dislike for the idea of tying real dollar values to in-game assets and the implications for taxing and trading that brings with it.

Yeah, but keeping the value of "virtual assets" at zero would probably require some fast legislating. Otherwise, "things," real or not, have whatever value people agree to assign to them. That is, if you can sell a certain item to any of a large number of people for X amount of money, "X" is probably pretty close to the item's value.

(Edit: Also, in the United States, declaring the value of your intellectual property to be zero might constitute a legislative "taking," meaning that the gov't would have to pay you for your loss.)

So without valuation of assets, we would be left trying to quantify "I was not able to have as much fun after he blew up my ship."

Strictly speaking, we have that anyway-- at least for extreme cases. It's hard to prove and the courts are skeptical, but intentional infliction of emotional distress, a.k.a. "outrage," is a cause of action.

(Mind you, it has to be REALLY extreme; the old standard is that it must be the kind of conduct that causes a listener, upon hearing of it, to exclaim, "Outrageous!")

Circumventing security systems, DDoS attacks, and other abuses/violations (outside the game itself) have occurred in the name of "cut-throat fair play", but this discussion would (and has) taken years of study to just scratch the surface of.

Yes-- and many of those actions are both against the EULA and illegal. They're cutthroat, but not fair play, pretty much by definition.

I'll assume for the moment that you're not saying we should tone down the competitive nature of the game because it motivates people to cheat.

As the saying goes, you can't legislate morality.

A very important thing to remember.

Finally, I'm not arguing from one extreme or the other.  There is no "the" alternative and if there were, I wouldn't be proposing it.  There is a continuum between the extremes with a long gradient of opinions (and furthermore, along multiple axes), mine just falls "elsewhere" not on the "other" side :9.

Oh, I'm aware that what you're arguing isn't all that extreme, politically. The problem is the practical effects of acting on your objections.

Let's say we got to keep rights to our characters-- our creative work on "the System," but Iceland passes a law saying that virtual objects have no value. Leaving aside the difficulty of legislatively devaluing intellectual property, the EULA's choice of law is Iceland, so-- all good, right?

Well, except that, as you said before, the EULA deals with your rights relative to CCP, not to other players. Now, since Abel (who lives in Oklahoma), Baker (who lives in New York), and Charlie (who lives in England) don't live in Iceland, and are in possession of intellectual property rights that might have considerable value under the laws of anyplace BUT Iceland ...

Let the lawsuits commence!

... However, take a guess what area of law is pretty consistent internationally (mostly for practical reasons, that is, so that commerce can go forward without massive legal battles)?

Yep. Contracts.

CCP probably cannot make you contractually agree that your IP shall have no value, since that is like asking you to agree that the sky where you live will always be gray: you have little direct control. It can, however, ensure that all that value belongs to it, thus disarming any fights over the area.

Is it perfect? No. Is it 100% fair to you, the creator? Maybe not. Is it a workable, effective legal means to achieve what CCP set out to do?

Yeah, pretty much that.

It doesn't take an extremist to object to certain of CCP's terms, but the results of eliminating those terms is, nevertheless, extreme-- and I'm hard-pressed to think of another way they could have done it.

A contract is "do it yourself" law. Literally. CCP crafted an EULA that would establish a legal framework in which Eve would work. It's something I have difficulty faulting them for, especially since I'm hard-pressed to come up with a coherent alternative.

[Lawyer's disclaimer: the contents of this post are meant for casual argumentative and/or educational purposes, and should NOT be taken as legal advice. Rely on them at your own risk!]
« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2011, 19:11 by Aria Jenneth »

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic

It's bad manners to share EVEMail and chatlogs without permission, but that doesn't necessarily make it illegal. As has been mentioned before, there's no 'opt-out' in EVE. You agree to the EULA to opt-in and go on about your business.
As the disclaimer says "we own your pixellated ass, bwahahahahahahahahaha."
Unless we all went around copyrighting our IC personas and names, there is nothing we can do about others using logs. But only then would it be a libel case as CCP owns everything ingame.
If it were possible to sue over what's been said/done ingame, I'd be bankrupt and in jail because of the people I've given verbal and pixellated beatings to. Not to mention stolen assets and embezzled funds. Oh, and scam alts.

[Mandatory disclaimer[?]:I'm not a lawyer, just a bitch.]
do { aLittleDance(); make(aLittleLove&); cin.get(down); } while(tonight);
Quote from: Raynman37
Go down to the end, take a left at etc and you should see usr right there in front of you.
Pages: 1 2 [3]