Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That 'Ancestors choke!' is a Caldari expression of disbelief or astonishment?

Author Topic: Spammers  (Read 1692 times)

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Spammers
« on: 21 Nov 2010, 09:29 »

We've had an increasing (though still fairly minor) issue with spammers registering accounts in order to spam links with their profile pages.

Please be careful of clicking links on new members profile pages, particularly if they have a nonsense or very generic (mjsullivan, jamesmitchell, etc) name.

I've gone through and banned the current crop, and hopefully we won't need to introduce any new hoops to jump through for registrations.

Edit: If you somehow get banned by accident, but are a legitimate member, shoot me a mail IG, and I'll get it fixed for you.
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2010, 10:36 by Silver Night »

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Re: Spammers
« Reply #1 on: 04 Jan 2011, 23:54 »

Due to an increase in spammers, I've enabled email activation for new members. New members will now receive an email with an activation link, which they will need to click before they are allowed to post.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jan 2011, 09:15 »

In light of a recent heavy increase in spam registrations, I've installed a package that will require new members to answer Eve-related verification questions. Due to a conflict, this means that the reCAPTCHA had to be disabled. I am hopeful, though not positive, that this won't explode in my face. If it does, I will go about getting the mods to work together.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jan 2011, 09:40 »

Will also be going through and deleting spammy looking members who haven't posted anything. I will try not to catch any legitimate members, but if I do simply re-register - I won't be banning IPs or anything unless there is actual spammer activity.