Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The founder of Zainou Biotech, Todo Kirkinen, was the first person to have his mind transfered into a machine? Ishukone owns a majority stake of Zainou.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: What is your quest?  (Read 9067 times)

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
Re: What is your quest?
« Reply #15 on: 19 Nov 2010, 20:26 »

I'm more worried about the cogwheel-rainbow-biohazard-banana speech bubbles than the Cthulhu doll. What manner of mad plan could that chibi be explicating?

As for quests, getting the people who drove him into capsuleering to quit bothering him would be a good start.

Alternately, to dream the impossible dream.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #16 on: 19 Nov 2010, 21:39 »

Alternately, to dream the impossible dream.

:eek:

Vlad Cetes

• Rick Rollermeister
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #17 on: 19 Nov 2010, 23:26 »

TAKE OVER THE WORLD!

Vieve

« Reply #18 on: 20 Nov 2010, 05:44 »

I'm more worried about the cogwheel-rainbow-biohazard-banana speech bubbles than the Cthulhu doll. What manner of mad plan could that chibi be explicating?

Plan
Cogwheel: "So, I have an idea about what to do next!"
Rainbow: "It's going to be fantastic!  Here's where I think we..."
Biohazard: "...what is that smell?"
Banana: "...and what is that oozing down the wall?"

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #20 on: 20 Nov 2010, 16:51 »

I had this in mind. Although I suppose training for new ship types would be a boring quest.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
« Reply #21 on: 20 Nov 2010, 17:25 »

Well, if you got the allusion, then I'm just going to go over here and feel like a jackass.

Indahar

• Stare Dad
  • Clonejack
« Reply #22 on: 24 Nov 2010, 08:01 »

To sleep with Jamyl Sarum.
This, and Indahar wants to help form a stronger, more cohesive central government for the Republic that can provide consistent security and social services to all resident Matari tribal populations.
Taylor Swift is My Goddess

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
« Reply #23 on: 24 Nov 2010, 11:05 »

To sleep with Jamyl Sarum.

Hahaha...  :eek::lol:
Impossible!!

------------
What is your quest?
I have no idea...  :(

Inara Subaka

• Egger
  • Business Woman
« Reply #24 on: 24 Nov 2010, 11:54 »

This, and Indahar wants to help form a stronger, more cohesive central government for the Republic that can provide consistent security and social services to all resident Matari tribal populations.

[Obligatory&half-joking] They had a stronger, more cohesive central government that was providing security and social services to all of the Matari. Then they decided they wanted to be "free" of that stronger central government and return to their tribal-esque style leadership by causing a rebellion against the established government. This government still exists, and we know it best as the Amarr Empire.[/Obligatory&half-joking]

As for Inara's quest... She's actually rather simple in her endgoals. Complete and total security and provision for 'her and hers'; in the end it will be a peaceful existence split between her estates in Devoid and the ones she's working on establishing in Curse.  At least, if she has her way; but until then, she's going to provide and protect in the way she's best capable (doing business with those that are willing to negotiate).

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #25 on: 25 Nov 2010, 17:31 »

I find it interesting how most characters have a "big goal" in mind...it is likely the effects of being a capsuleer and having that much power. Goals like protecting the State, ending slavery, all sorts of grand heroic things...

But because Seriphyn sees his role as a capsuleer as more of a continuation of his previous career, it's less about saving the world. It's just doing his job, freedom and liberty are a thing for the university students to waggle their chins over.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #26 on: 25 Nov 2010, 18:04 »

I guess Esna's quest could be described as "to move the Amarr Empire, bit by bit, into a postion where there can be a collective realisation that new, more modern positions on many things need to be taken and that many old practices are no longer workable and need to be updated."

Of course, he wouldn't mind wiping out the Blood Raiders in the process...
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #27 on: 25 Nov 2010, 19:04 »

Unless your character just exists from day to day without any driving force, he likely has a quest: something specific he wants to achieve. This isn't something generic like "bring justice to New Eden," nor something trivial like "move his Rifter from Rens to Hek". Luke wanted to destroy the Death Star, Li Mu Bai wanted to recover the Green Destiny, and Jerry Thompson wanted to figure out what "Rosebud" meant.

What about your character? What is your quest?

"I have traveled the cluster seeking answers to the questions of who and what I am. I was given hundreds of different answers, each describing me differently from the last one. It was not until I asked the Sleepers themselves those questions did I realize I possessed the answer.

I am human, but in a way that defies contemporary mind. My illness has only changed how I function, not stripped me of my humanity. I am no more outside of the human world than the machines that compose my body.

My actions were selfish, I make no attempts to disguise that. It is my hope that I may one day undo what I did, and in its place achieve something respectable. What tasks or goals Nation will have for me, I do not know. But I am willing." - Ghost Hunter to Mifra Savsousi during his assessment upon his return to Nation space.

tl;dr - The central goal for Ghost was met during the release of Apocrypha, and now he follows Nation in whatever capacity demanded of him.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #28 on: 25 Nov 2010, 19:12 »

I guess Esna's quest could be described as "to move the Amarr Empire, bit by bit, into a postion where there can be a collective realisation that new, more modern positions on many things need to be taken and that many old practices are no longer workable and need to be updated."

Of course, he wouldn't mind wiping out the Blood Raiders in the process...

With the long life-span of Amarrians, that might take a few hundred years...

In NZ, there's a definite feeling that as the old right-wing reactionaries die off, many social changes are becoming more possible. If you divide polls by age groups, the younger people are much more liberal about things like gay marriage, legalisation of certain low-damage drugs, and ending slavery prison reform.

And every five years, the age of people supporting the more liberal lines increases by a few years...
Once all the wrinklies are dead, we'll be a more liberal society.

Is there that same age-based difference in opinion in the Empire do you think? Or is Esna basically pissing into the wind?
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #29 on: 26 Nov 2010, 00:52 »

With the long life-span of Amarrians, that might take a few hundred years...

In NZ, there's a definite feeling that as the old right-wing reactionaries die off, many social changes are becoming more possible. If you divide polls by age groups, the younger people are much more liberal about things like gay marriage, legalisation of certain low-damage drugs, and ending slavery prison reform.

And every five years, the age of people supporting the more liberal lines increases by a few years...
Once all the wrinklies are dead, we'll be a more liberal society.

Is there that same age-based difference in opinion in the Empire do you think? Or is Esna basically pissing into the wind?

On the one hand, my intuition is to say that the overall state of the Empire is likely to be dominated by the House the current Emperor or Empress is from - i.e., Kor-Azor and (God forbid :P ) Tash-Murkon would produce more liberal rulers who would swing the Empire towards a more liberal state as a whole, while the more conservative houses such as Ardishapur and Sarum would produce more conservative rulers, etc etc.

The problem with this is it hasn't happened. In fact, we've instead been treated to the exact opposite - a series of rather liberal and open Amarrian leaders who've been making one step after another in opening previously barred doors (i.e., reuniting with the Khanid Kingdom, the release of the 9th gen. slaves). Even those Heirs you might expect to see leading the charge against change - Yonis Ardishapur comes to mind - have been swept up in it.
I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop, and for the Empire to swing toward the dark and nasty side, for some time; I think CCP may have played with this some during the reign of Karsoth viceroy. Unfortunately, given the way things were written, Karsoth and the Empire in general came out reading more like Stupid Evil rather than the Lawful Evil that I suspect CCP was more aiming for, which may have put them off of it in the long term.

Anyhow, back to the questions at hand: Is Esna's plan reasonable?

My answer is yes, but only in the long term, as Ulphus said. The Empire is an extremely slow-moving juggernaut socially, and it it will take many generations of Holders before we see anything approaching what Esna is aiming for being accepted on a wide scale. Given, however, the current trend of liberalism continues in the Empire, and the "shifts by the dominant House" theory does not hold, I think he'll get some - if not all - of what he's pushing for.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4