Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

When level 4s first came out, they used the Belt NPCs and not the lesser Complex NPCs?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sex and slavery  (Read 4642 times)

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
Sex and slavery
« on: 24 Oct 2010, 23:52 »

I'm veering off the original topic matter somewhat here, but one of the 'features' of slavery is that as a slave you generally don't get to choose who you have sex with, in what circumstances, or who is the other parent of your children. Do think about that sometime.

A couple of comments from Earth history on this, intended anecdotally rather than a part of a case, although I play that they're true enough in parts of the Amarrian Empire.

Slaves as (intentional) sex-toys:

Along with the wealth that poured into Rome in the century before Augustus came to power (about 130-30 B.C.) came a craze -- especially among the rich -- to import Greek art, customs, and people into Rome. Wealthy Roman gentlemen adopted the fashion of buying slaves to satisfy their sexual whims. Upper-class people took it for granted that the elite male would have his pretty boy toy to make love to. He would also have his female love toys -- all under the same roof with his wife. But it is important to remember that these sexual habits -- shocking to us, perhaps -- were not problematic for the Roman elites, since it was love between unequal partners. And, legally speaking, it was sex between the owner of the property and his property. Considering that a beautiful boy or girl slave cost about as much as a Mercedes, not to have intercourse with your slave would be like buying a Mercedes and never driving it.

John R. Clarke, Roman Sex: 100 BC - 250 AD, p.88

And a pop-culture reference to what the genetics say about slavery in the US (I'm in a hurry, but this seems pretty typical):

African Americans, just like our first lady, are a racially mixed or mulatto people—deeply and overwhelmingly so. Fact: Fully 58 percent of African-American people, according to geneticist Mark Shriver at Morehouse College, possess at least 12.5 percent European ancestry (again, the equivalent of that one great-grandparent). As a matter of fact, if I analyzed the y-DNA (which a man inherits exactly from his father, and he from his father, etc.) of all the black players in the NBA, fully one-third (somewhere between 30 percent and 35 percent) would, incredibly, discover that they were descended from a white male who impregnated a black female, most likely a female slave, just as a white man did Michelle Obama’s third-great-grandmother. In the ‘60s, we were fond of saying that we are an “African people.” Well, our DNA proclaims loudly that we are a European people, a multicultural people, a people black as well as white. You might think of us as an Afro-Mulatto people, our genes recombined in that test tube called slavery.

http://www.genealogywise.com/profiles/blogs/professor-gates-michelles

I play that genetics are important and difficult for the Returned not only because some of us were bred -- like dog breeds -- for extremes of physical work or other reasons, but because there's often too much Amarrian in the male line. Some Amarrian slaveholders took a very personal interest in their breeding programmes.
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2010, 00:09 by Silver Night »

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Re: Sex and slavery
« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2010, 00:12 »

[mod]Split from 'What's too far...' topic.[/mod]

Kazzzi

• Egger
« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2010, 01:25 »

No way, Amarrians would never bang their slaves.  :roll:

Borza

• Kuru Khai
  • Omelette
  • We come for our people
« Reply #3 on: 25 Oct 2010, 03:00 »

I'd better page Black Necris.

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette
« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2010, 07:18 »

I've seen this used as a theme in someone's background (uncertain parentage, and details would be a spoiler of characters other than my own, so we'll skip them). I liked the way it was done; no explicit mentions of sex but some very nice exploration of lots of stuff. Likewise what I have seen about the breeding program stories Matariki mentiones, I have liked; tastefully done and seems to respect the topic.

I have to say though that I have a personal genuine dislike to the "I am a sex slave of So-and-so!" RP though. When it seems clear that it is done for the personal, partly sexual, enjoyment of the players involved, it seems to me to belittle the actual issue.

Again, to go back to the original thread; what "goes too far" is less about the subject matter but about how you use it.
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2010, 08:52 by Elsebeth Rhiannon »

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #5 on: 25 Oct 2010, 14:50 »

I've had to dance around this one before.

Grae owns...a garage full of mercedes. They see...use...not that often, and nothing brutal, but still.

It's one of those things that I decided early on that an Amarrian, even a more progressive one, would probably do, much like the Roman example above; it's just not that strange a practice in the Empire.

The trick is not to go blabbing about it all day. It's a crass topic that just slaps people across the face OOC-wise. I might drop a hint to some ERPer trying to get into my pants ("Oh, stop it really, I have people for that.") but that's about it.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #6 on: 25 Oct 2010, 15:02 »

I've had to dance around this one before.

Grae owns...a garage full of mercedes. They see...use...not that often, and nothing brutal, but still.

It's one of those things that I decided early on that an Amarrian, even a more progressive one, would probably do, much like the Roman example above; it's just not that strange a practice in the Empire.

The trick is not to go blabbing about it all day. It's a crass topic that just slaps people across the face OOC-wise. I might drop a hint to some ERPer trying to get into my pants ("Oh, stop it really, I have people for that.") but that's about it.

I agree with Graelyn on this subject. It is something that happens, but is not spoken of.  To speak of it would be a breach of common decency, though there is nothing particularly 'wrong' with it, among Amarrians anyway :)
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #7 on: 26 Oct 2010, 00:02 »

I agree with Graelyn.

Like so many things in amarrian society, what you do behind closed doors is done behind closed doors and has to concern noone else.

Goshien

• Wetgraver
« Reply #8 on: 26 Oct 2010, 15:09 »

Sex with slaves (differing greatly from sexual slavery) has substantial history behind it even into the modern era. I see no reason that this trend would discontinue even through space and many thousands of years. Like I do in life and with my character (who actually owns no slaves) I try to stay out of the gritty details.

Probably one of those things everyone does but nobody talks about.

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #9 on: 26 Oct 2010, 15:27 »

I'm veering off the original topic matter somewhat here, but one of the 'features' of slavery is that as a slave you generally don't get to choose who you have sex with,

But, I don't generally get to choose with who I have sex with either. Sometimes I go up to some girl and say: 'I chose you', but it rarely works....  :cry:

This isn't restricted to slaves. Most women in nearly all historical societies (and even in many modern societies) don't get to choose who they marry, who they have sex with, or where, when and how.

The whole concept of free choice in such matters is pretty modern.

Graanvlokkie

« Reply #10 on: 27 Oct 2010, 00:43 »

Sex with slaves (differing greatly from sexual slavery) has substantial history behind it even into the modern era...

Sex with slaves = Amarr
Sexual slavery = Gallente

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 27 Oct 2010, 01:56 »

I'm veering off the original topic matter somewhat here, but one of the 'features' of slavery is that as a slave you generally don't get to choose who you have sex with,

But, I don't generally get to choose with who I have sex with either. Sometimes I go up to some girl and say: 'I chose you', but it rarely works....  :cry:

Fair point. I'd been thinking of it in the negative, but had phrased it in the positive. As a slave, you generally don't have right of veto, or much in the way of "freedom to try your chances and exert your preferences in the selection market".

This isn't restricted to slaves. Most women in nearly all historical societies (and even in many modern societies) don't get to choose who they marry, who they have sex with, or where, when and how.

The whole concept of free choice in such matters is pretty modern.

Interesting, isn't it?

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #12 on: 27 Oct 2010, 03:13 »

Sex with slaves (differing greatly from sexual slavery) has substantial history behind it even into the modern era...

Sex with slaves = Amarr

I take it you're both using some meaning of "sexual slavery" other than the usual one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_slavery

24/7 D/s lifestyle isn't the topic on the table.

Graanvlokkie

« Reply #13 on: 27 Oct 2010, 05:33 »

Sex with slaves = Amarr

I take it you're both using some meaning of "sexual slavery" other than the usual one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_slavery

24/7 D/s lifestyle isn't the topic on the table.

Im refering to the exact definition you linked. "Sexual slavery" includes forms of forced/unwilling prostitution. Having sex with a slave is very different from a women who has been forced into prostitution.

In the Amarr Empire people would have unconsensual sex with thier slaves, which is very different to women who have been forced into prostitution by persons or because of circumstances or situation.

Because of the nature of the Federation, forced prostitution would be common in the Federation.
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2010, 05:47 by Graanvlokkie »

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #14 on: 27 Oct 2010, 05:52 »

I don't know that you can compare things as easily.

Esp. since in the Amarr empire, women have as much right to their own property and stuff as men do.

Which i don't think was teh case in Rome? or other societies.
\o/
Pages: [1] 2