Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Sansha Kuvakei was an industrial mogul before founding his Nation? Moar here.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: All time, Top 5 TV Shows  (Read 8960 times)

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
Re: All time, Top 5 TV Shows
« Reply #15 on: 20 Oct 2010, 13:32 »

Oh, fuck, forgot about Firefly and Wonderfalls. Blast.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 20 Oct 2010, 15:28 »

Firefly, Fringe, Stargate, How I Met Your Mother, Supernatural.

They change with time and seasons, sometimes I love stuff like Weeds, Mad Men, Castle, House, True Blood, V. But sometimes its something else.

Avatar was probably the best anime/animation series that I have come across because it actually had a start and an ending, and the whole series was about that story. Not your basic anime bullshittery where after the first 8-12 episodes it goes completely mindnumbingly crazy.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Saikoyu

• Omelette
« Reply #17 on: 20 Oct 2010, 15:51 »

@ Esna, yes Firefly counts.

@ lallara zhuul.  Watch anime from Japan, not the stuff that blows up on American shores, its all chopped up.  If you are okay with subs, you can usually find lots of fan-subs online.  If you like Avatar, you'll probably find something similar.  Sorry, Anime fan rant over.

And off the top of my head:

Firefly, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Battlestar Galactica (new one), Dr. Who (old, 8th doctor for the win), Macross: Frontier

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #18 on: 20 Oct 2010, 16:15 »

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #19 on: 20 Oct 2010, 16:26 »

Someone mentioned Frisky Dingo. It is most awesome too.

Indahar

• Stare Dad
  • Clonejack
« Reply #20 on: 20 Oct 2010, 16:50 »

Someone mentioned Frisky Dingo. It is most awesome too.
B-B-BOOSH! How they fit so many gags into ten minutes of television, I'll never have the pleasure of knowing.

And I forgot to add Avatar and Last Exile to my list of almost-there's. While I'm not a huge fan of Japanese animation, or work inspired by it, there are a few examples which amaze me.
Taylor Swift is My Goddess

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #21 on: 20 Oct 2010, 18:41 »

So much awesomeness that I forgot. Especially: The Mighty Boosh, Yes Minister (good call scagga, one of my most quoted TV shows ever) and Firefly.

I actually work some Yes Minister stuff into my rp from time to time, because I love the show so much.

And, yes, Frontline is amazing satire, as is The Hollowmen.

lallara zhuul

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 21 Oct 2010, 00:49 »

Forgot The Fast Show, Spaced, Red Dwarf, Earth 2 and Azumanga Daioh.

@Saikoyu: I do watch Japanese anime (is there such thing as non-japanese anime, because if it would not be japanese would it be anime? anyhoos.) It's quite common among those shows that after 8-12 episodes the original storyline disappears and is replaced some obscure pseudo psychological wankery or turns into fight scenes that last for three episodes.

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #23 on: 21 Oct 2010, 04:08 »

I don't think this is an easy set to come up with, because I can love a series today, but when I next watch it ten years from now I'll think it's crap, having aged gracelessly and been topped by other series.

Series which I liked, but wouldn't like to re-watch:

1) Twin Peaks. I loved this when it came out. Among the first series which totally hooked me in.
2) Star Trek: TNG. I liked it, but only because it was the only sci-fi out there at the time. I think it's shit now.
3) Babylon 5. Loved it, with its sprawling plot arc, but wouldn't waste my time with it now.
4) OZ.
5) X-Files. I put this grudgingly here, because I hate it now, but I watched it then and I was pretty riveted back in the day. It started a trend which brought a lot of shows dealing with supernatural premises to tv screens, so it played a positive part in tv history.

Other winning series:

1) BSG. The new show. Probably the best show ever.
2) Aeon Flux. I couldn't heap enough praise on this thing.
3) Star Trek: TOS. If you get past the camp, you can see that this series already pretty much did everything all sci-fi has ever done afterwards.
4) Deadwood.
5) Miami Vice.

Some other and more recent honorable mentions:
Carnivale, Sopranos, Jericho, Rome (first season only), Generation Kill, True Blood, Entourage, Top Gear.

On a contrary note, I find Stargate in its various incarnations offensively terrible (except the movie).

Right now, I'm not actively watching any series, but I should probably catch up on True Blood and the new Boardwalk Empire certainly has my interest.

Aodha Khan

« Reply #24 on: 21 Oct 2010, 07:27 »

should probably catch up on True Blood

Just finished watching it all last night. Good series but have you checked out Vampire Diaries? Much better imo.

Saikoyu

• Omelette
« Reply #25 on: 21 Oct 2010, 07:54 »

@Saikoyu: I do watch Japanese anime (is there such thing as non-japanese anime, because if it would not be japanese would it be anime? anyhoos.) It's quite common among those shows that after 8-12 episodes the original storyline disappears and is replaced some obscure pseudo psychological wankery or turns into fight scenes that last for three episodes.

Well, you could argue that Avatar is non-Japanese anime, but I'm veering off topic.  And what I meant is watch the stuff that doesn't get to America, but I was assuming you're in America, and don't already watch that stuff.  So, probably my definition of pseudo psychological wankery is different from yours. 

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #26 on: 21 Oct 2010, 09:19 »

1) The Office (US)
2) Doctor Who (including some of the classic stories*)
3) Arrested Development
4) Firefly
5) Cowboy Bebop

All five shows were/are immensely enjoyable to me through their entire runs and I can happily sit down and watch any episode from any point and still be thoroughly entertained.  #3 and #4 died too soon.

*which should keep my list within the rules

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #27 on: 21 Oct 2010, 14:20 »

Just finished watching it all last night. Good series but have you checked out Vampire Diaries? Much better imo.

You have got to be kidding me, but no - I haven't checked it out.

lallara zhuul

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: 21 Oct 2010, 16:42 »

You have got to be kidding me, but no - I haven't checked it out.

Vampire Diaries?

Watched two episodes.

The fact that close to thirty year olds were pretending to be high schoolers and were actually having the hots to the teenagers, was fucking creepy. It was like the dirty old man pedo paradise the whole series.

Kala

• Egger
« Reply #29 on: 21 Oct 2010, 17:13 »

imph, difficult one...

1. farscape

2. battlestar galactica

3. cowboy bebop

4. six feet under

uh...

5. the sopranos/the closer/house/buffy/veronica mars/american gothic

;.;