Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the 25ers were a political activist organization that fought for repealing starship licensing fees, laying the foundations for the independent capsuleer community.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: What's too far..  (Read 6973 times)

Random Lost Soul

Re: What's too far..
« Reply #30 on: 25 Oct 2010, 06:48 »

To put it bluntly:

AGE RESTRICTIONS:
YOU MUST BE 13 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER TO USE THIS WEB SITE. PLEASE READ OUR AGE REQUIREMENTS IN SECTION 3.3 OF THIS AGREEMENT UNDER WHICH PARENTAL CONSENT MAY BE REQUIRED UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS.

Children as young as 13 can use the site, and the game.  Children that young could potentially RP in-game.  They could read the forums, etc.

6.1   The Message Board service enables you to participate in chat forums on various game-related topics. You may also post a message on the Web Site’s bulletin board. You acknowledge and agree that if you submit any Content to forums, you will be solely responsible for such Content. CCP will not be liable in any way for any such Content submitted. You further agree that you will not:

I   Submit any Content, which is harassing, abusive, threatening, harmful, libelous or defamatory, encourages conduct that could constitute a criminal offense or give rise to civil liabilities, or is unlawful in any other way.

Whether it is "accepted" by the RP community or not, someone roleplaying a pedophile could potentially be a harmful influence to minors playing this game.  I would aggressively pursue this person being banned from the game for attempting this, as well as insisting that the proper authorities were alerted to this.

If my child were to interact with this person, and he were to "roleplay" his character and bring up pedophilia, there would be legal ramifications of this.

So you tell me.  What's too far?  I would say that my right to do as I wish ends where another's right to do as they wish begins.  That includes enjoying the game and not being subjected to material that can be considered harmful, inflammatory and opens one up to legal action.  The individual in question had best be prepared for the negative consequences of those actions.

Also, depictions of violent acts on children can have legal ramifications in some countries as well.  So, the difference between harming a child physically, emotionally, etc. is really moot.  Harm is harm.  Yes, there are dark aspects of the EVE setting.  Should all of these be fair game to those playing a game based on this setting?  I don't believe so.  Graphic depictions of murder, rape, sexuality and other things are really best left to the "backstory" and left out of in-game venues for the simple fact that children can and do play this game.  Do children RP?  Not usually, but it's not unheard of.  There are also parents who play the game who don't want to see someone talking about hurting children in any way shape or form.

So in short, if I ever see anything like this, I'll report it.

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette
« Reply #31 on: 25 Oct 2010, 07:11 »

I do not think what is "too far" depends so much on what is depicted, but on how and why. Doing something (pretty much anything) "for the lulz", let alone to provoke and annoy other players, is in my books "going too far". On the other hand, I cannot think of a theme that could not be dealt with in RP - if done with taste, with something else in mind than just being an arse towards others.

Of course, as pointed out, one has to consider the fact that one does not know the audience, and that EULA forbids some things you might otherwise consider acceptable.

And of course, "I find this acceptable RP" does not mean that I will ICly interact with you if you RP it. My character's opinions of enjoyable company are much more limited than my opinions of what RP is enjoyable. :)

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #32 on: 26 Oct 2010, 15:30 »

for epic lolz

This is the thing I object to most.

I have pretty broad tolerances, especially for fictional material. Epic lolz usually means trying to aggravate people who don't desire to be subject to a particular type of interaction.

Arvo Katsuya

• Noble Appliance
  • Egger
« Reply #33 on: 26 Oct 2010, 15:42 »

Alright everyone. Everybody that said the word, please put isk into the jar.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #34 on: 26 Oct 2010, 15:58 »

If the distinction is between someone who RPs these activities versus someone who RPs a character who engages in those activities, that's quite something different IMO.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #35 on: 26 Oct 2010, 19:19 »

If the distinction is between someone who RPs these activities versus someone who RPs a character who engages in those activities, that's quite something different IMO.

okay yeah, this I can definitely agree with. Having a character and saying, they are a complete monster, they are a pedo, etc, etc, is in a completely different ballpark then actually rping out that.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #36 on: 26 Oct 2010, 23:24 »

Just going to point back to my original post at the end of the first page. This person not only would honestly believe that they were being genuinely funny, but probably would also attempt to RP it out "for the lulz". It's not like they're a particularly well-respected member of the community to begin with, to be fair, but that's kinda beside the point.

Assuming my guess as to who it is is accurate, anyway. I've not been given any reasons to think it's not.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Mathra Hiede

• Omelette
« Reply #37 on: 29 Oct 2010, 05:26 »

Just going to point back to my original post at the end of the first page. This person not only would honestly believe that they were being genuinely funny, but probably would also attempt to RP it out "for the lulz". It's not like they're a particularly well-respected member of the community to begin with, to be fair, but that's kinda beside the point.

Assuming my guess as to who it is is accurate, anyway. I've not been given any reasons to think it's not.

While I applaud your potential in critical analysation Morwen that really isn't hugely needed in my mind to say that you probably suspect someone, as plenty of people with half a brain can get 2+2 and make 4, or even 5 if you get my meaning.

In regards to the OP.

I am deeply and completely disgusted by the idea of such RP.

In my mind, it has no place anywhere in our society or being, be it in reality or fictionalised.
Ghost mentioned the idea of a Complete Monster, if someone wanted to create a character like that for shock value on an OOC level, as was mentioned in that link it should never be for "lulz" Value.

I doubt that they should have a place except in the hallows of darkest fiction, which EVE isn't entirely about, sure its dark, murky and disturbing in some respect - but there is no need for the deepest and darkest black to tarnish all the other shades of grey that give it such depth and contrast.

And I agree with what Louella said about tarnishing RP'rs in general.

Stuff like that gets out, doesnt matter how but it does - and when it does word gets around, when word gets around about something like that, the mental tarnish is applied to all of that genre, ie a GM Car breaks down, and is recalled - GM's entire reputation is tarnished, despite the quality of any other products.

The same with us RP'rs, if we get tarnished with one RP'rs stupid idea the entire community suffers and all we work for and play to enjoy becomes distinctly less so because of it.

Innocence prooves nothing - Solen Sean

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #38 on: 29 Oct 2010, 10:38 »

I would point out that slavery is in this game. If you think back through all the moral crimes and atrocities that have occured because of slavery, then they exist in this game. Child abuse included.

People, however, willingly roleplay slavers, even if moderate, are still apart of a fictional institution that officially supports and justifies such crimes.

Just pointing out the fallacy of automatic, kneejerk condemnation of the OP. I still think that RPing it would be outright wierd though. In fact there's no need to get all vindicated about the morality of it. People will see it, be sickened, and no one will RP with them, and said RP will pass over.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #39 on: 29 Oct 2010, 10:48 »

Pages: 1 2 [3]