Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Hyasyoda megacorporation is part of the 'liberal' faction, but is internally extremely conservative in business and its internal culture, with a great deal of pressure for employees to 'fit in'? It is still largely owned by the founding Osmon family.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: So my wife just popped open a trial account...  (Read 5029 times)

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
Re: So my wife just popped open a trial account...
« Reply #15 on: 18 Oct 2010, 17:05 »

So the question is, how do I get my wife to play EVE?

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #16 on: 18 Oct 2010, 17:48 »

You show her the really good Incarna char portraits and say she can be a tailor. A fabulous intaki tailor. And that there's already a line of perfumes in the game.

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #17 on: 18 Oct 2010, 17:50 »

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #18 on: 18 Oct 2010, 19:14 »

Usually for women, the social aspect is as important as the "game fun" aspect, therefore i would conccur with everyone suggesting Eve-U

However if she is just interested in the killing, Agony Unleashed can be another option for "training ground".

Also, if its the above, but she just wants to throw herslef into action and has you as the "provider", then sign her for some RvB (red vs blue if you aren't familiar with the acronym).

In any case you are already doomed. She will beat you in 3-months time.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #19 on: 18 Oct 2010, 20:10 »

You show her the really good Incarna char portraits and say she can be a tailor. A fabulous intaki tailor. And that there's already a line of perfumes in the game.

A lot of the women I know who play Eve are likely to tell you to fuck right off if you tell them this.

The people who say "There should be more hello kitty spaceships to attract the wimminz" really get up the noses of the completely competent killer pilots who just happen to be played by female gamers.

Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #21 on: 18 Oct 2010, 23:49 »

A lot of the women I know who play Eve are likely to tell you to fuck right off if you tell them this.

The people who say "There should be more hello kitty spaceships to attract the wimminz" really get up the noses of the completely competent killer pilots who just happen to be played by female gamers.
Boldface mine. I was taking it from the perspective of someone who was looking to involve a first-time MMO player or a roleplayer that came out of tabletop, mostly because I've heard of married EVE-guys using these things successfully for getting their other halves to dip a toe in the water. Can't just assume the little lady's a frag doll, now can we?
« Last Edit: 18 Oct 2010, 23:52 by Ashar Kor-Azor »

Isobel Mitar

• Egger
« Reply #22 on: 19 Oct 2010, 00:21 »

I believe for most people it is 1) having in-game or game-related activities they enjoy and 2) a community they like that hooks people to Eve.

Your wife has you to help her figure out how stuff works in the beginning, which is very nice. :)

Perhaps try to figure out a way for her to try out different activities she thinks she might like and, just as importantly, help her to find a nice corp she will hopefully enjoy? Someplace with the kind of people she can befriend and an atmosphere she likes.

Isobel Mitar

• Egger
« Reply #23 on: 19 Oct 2010, 04:08 »

Women are people. Female gamers are gamers. There is no single "women like this" just like there is no single "men like this".

Some players play Eve for the combat pvp. Others enjoy trading, industry, mission running, spying, or what have you.

Personally, I think giving a wrong impression of a game is not a good way to talk people into playing it.

Eve does not really have a lot of tailoring/perfume content so a player that comes looking for them will be disappointed. And that pitch won't convince a player that thinks tailoring/perfume content is dull to give it a try, either.

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #24 on: 19 Oct 2010, 10:06 »

>.>

The few times this question's come up, it's been brought up by people clever enough to deal with female gamers, frag dolls, or roleplayers who are already into the other features EVE has, setting or crunch or whatnot. I tend to assume it's about getting the kind of girls into EVE that thrive on having some room for social stuff and feminine obsessions in the game.

As the CEO of a corporation that has historically appealed to female gamers with its in-character recruitment stance, I'll merely tell you that I'm familiar with all kinds. It's just that, frankly, you can figure out what appeals to most of the ladies with a little bit of forethought if you know them. The only ones you need to cast about for a niche for are the ones who'll thrive in it :P

Perhaps the problem is that the initial statement did not contain the caveat 'if none of the more obvious features of EVE appeal readily to win out over other pursuits.'

Benjamin Shepherd

Shalee Lianne

• Wetgraver
« Reply #26 on: 19 Oct 2010, 10:55 »

Is your wife going to be an rper?  If so, I think deciding what kind of character she will want to play will have a big influence on what direction you should point her in.

I've heard great things about EVE Uni and I know they do pvp, I see them around Amamake all the time.  Hell we've fought them plenty of times.

As for the whole girls and hello kitty bs, ugh.  Not all females want to fly rainbow colored ships and 'make' things.  I could give two fucks about industry.  I want to shoot things and I want things to die because I am shooting them, and then probably I want to blog about it.

Please stop stereotyping :P

Btw, if your wife is interested in Amarr Faction War, send her our way.  We have a few girls in the corp and are very newbie friendly.

~ Shalee

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #27 on: 19 Oct 2010, 11:14 »

>:|

For the FOURTH time, before everyone else with the appropriate anatomy chimes in to ensure that we recognize their being no different from the rest of the psychotic counterstrike monkeys that populate the Tranquility server:

NO ONE IS STEREOTYPING THE WHOLE OF THE FAIRER SEX.

THERE WAS, HOWEVER, THE UNFORTUNATELY UNSPOKEN INSINUATION THAT SINCE MOST WOMEN SHARE A TREMENDOUS NUMBER OF INTERESTS WITH MEN WHEN IT COMES TO GAMIN' - INCLUDING, YES, THINGS THAT DO NOT HAVE THE BARBIE LOGO ON THEM OR INVOLVE TEA-PARTIES OF THE POLITICALLY NON-ALIGNED VARIETY - IT WAS PAINFULLY OBVIOUS HOW TO GET THEM INVOLVED.

HENCE, THE PROFFERED SOLUTION CONTAINED ABOVE SPOKE TO SITUATIONS WHEN THIS WASN'T THE CASE.

I DO NOT THINK HAVING A WOMB MAKES YOU LOVE KNITTING OR POETRY OR GOING TO THE MALL, EITHER. NO ONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND DOES. HAVING A WOMB ONLY MAKES YOU AT RISK FOR HYSTERIA.

SHEESH.
« Last Edit: 19 Oct 2010, 13:13 by Ashar Kor-Azor »

Shalee Lianne

• Wetgraver
« Reply #28 on: 19 Oct 2010, 14:07 »

...no need to yell.

/shakes head.

Men.

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #29 on: 19 Oct 2010, 14:46 »

Silly girl can't tell bolded text on a forum from someone shouting at her :P
Pages: 1 [2] 3