Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Intaki Assembly responded directly to Julianus Soter's and other's request for information regarding Ishukone and Mordus Legion around Intaki Prime? For more, read here

Author Topic: [Planet] Ostingele VII  (Read 1955 times)

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
[Planet] Ostingele VII
« on: 07 Oct 2010, 11:36 »

Colony Common Name: Ostingele VII
Colony Local Name: Kapda
Governtment Type: Hybrid democracy/theocracy
Population: 225 million
Principal Exports: textiles

History: Settlers of the Ostingele VII colony found the jungle planet to be much like their home planet and benefited from the ease in adapting Intaki flora and fauna to the new environment. Early on, two animals in particular thrived on the planet, setting the stage for the colonies development.

The first was a small Intaki moth called the kakeeda that was imported for the silken fibers harvested from its cocoons. The kakeeda unexpectedly interbred with a substantially larger native moth, creating a new species called the vishaal. Because of the difference in size, a single season of vishaal harvesting produced as much raw silk as five years of kakeeda farming on Intaki. The silk was also significantly stronger, softer and more lustrous.

In addition, herders discovered that the planet’s native grasses produced changes in the physical characteristics of the goats and sheep that they raised. Among these were sleeker and softer wool.

Within a decade of the founding of the colony, it was producing large quantities of new textiles, which quickly became the standard for use in Intaki dress and décor. The textile market of Indradhanush — the colony’s capital city — bustles year round with activity. So much money flows through the market, in fact, Pend Insurance Investment Bank has a depository in orbit above the planet.

The people came to call the colony Kapda, a name that translates roughly as “the great tapestry of life.” The Kapdan colonists opted for a hybrid representative government, forming a popularly elected unicameral legislature called the Shaastragya Vyavasthaapak.

The executive power is given to “The Avatar.” The current Avatar, Sanjeevani, has led her people for 28 years. She is known for her warm demeanor and has made improving the quality of life of her colony’s children her main cause.

The Avatar of Kapda is selected from a special portion of the colony’s reborn population. This group, known collectively as the Gurus, serves as both the spiritual advisors and the planetary judiciary. The Gurus have their own standards for admitting members to their ranks and they are not shared with outsiders. However, adepts are ALWAYS reborn and usually between the ages of five and 10 when chosen for membership. To date, no one identified as an Idama has ever been selected.

When a reigning Avatar dies, the Gurus convene and select the new. Surprising to some outsiders, Avatars are usually young when chosen, with the median starting age being around 19. Those Guru who have spoken publicly on the matter have stated that because the Avatar is actually a reborn incarnation, their physical age in this lifetime is not an indication of preparedness and by choosing a younger candidate, it helps ensure a long and stable rule.

The importance of this is debatable, however, as secular members of Kapdan society note that the actual powers of the Avatar are constrained by the colony’s charter. The Avatar helps shape the Shaastragya Vyavasthaapak’s agenda and serves as the head of state, but has limited ability to assert control over the government.

Having the second largest population of the colonies still loyal to the Intaki Assembly and its location on the boarder of Gallente high sec, help to make Kapda a major player in Assembly politics. Generally speaking, Kapdans are the least likely to favor secession from the Federation and the Kapdan contingent in both the Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha lobbied vocally against the awarding of the development and defense contracts to Ishukone Corporation and Mordu’s Legion.

Kapda is also recovering the loss of its daughter colony on Ostingele IV. Although extraordinarily hot, an effort was under way to terraform the planet to serve as a mining colony, allowing access to the planet’s precious metal resources. However, a surprise attack by forces of Sansha’s Nation resulted in the loss of the entire colonial population of 2 million people. Following the tragedy, the Kapdan government abandoned all plans to develop the planet, leaving it to the capsuleer community to harvest its resources.

The textile market of Indradhanush helps make Kapda one of the wealthiest of the Intaki colonies.
« Last Edit: 07 Oct 2010, 11:39 by Saxon Hawke »

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Re: [Planet] Ostingele VII
« Reply #1 on: 07 Oct 2010, 12:13 »

Aah, I'm glad I never went through with this IGS post that stated how Ostingele VII was emptied by Sansha...

Though it was Ostingele IV that was attacked, that's a barren planet, so I retconned it to be planet VII...the only temperate planet in the system...

So /o\

Good though, just read through it thinking it was emptied.

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
« Reply #2 on: 07 Oct 2010, 12:54 »

Actually, I think at the time of the Sansha attack, IV was a temperate planet. The number of temperate planets dropped dramatically right before planetary interaction went into effect.

At one time, their were two temperate planets in the Intaki System and one in Agoze.

Arvo Katsuya

• Noble Appliance
  • Egger
« Reply #3 on: 23 Oct 2010, 21:43 »

May I offer a counterpoint? I hate to rain on parades when people place effort on quality descriptions, but I feel closely examining the physical features of the planets by view is needed to get a good idea of the planet, especially by comparison to others.

Compare Ostingele VII to... Vale II, or Kamokor IV.

I would suggest the planet is actually overall, a cold, dry, arid planet with barely much plant life at all. Icy mountains, tundras, desert... but not much in terms of grasslands or forested areas. Or perhaps the atmosphere lacks something, or the planet's water contains something that discouraged it from developing on the planet.

However, it seems like a fairly healthy planet. It is not heavily polluted by mankind, like Kusomonmon III, or Odotte II.
« Last Edit: 23 Oct 2010, 21:45 by Arvo Katsuya »

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
« Reply #4 on: 23 Oct 2010, 22:03 »

For most of my planetary information, I've gone with DOTLAN.

http://evemaps.dotlan.net/system/Ostingele/VII

Ostingele VII has an average temperature of 312.39 K or 102 F or 39 C. Of course that's a planetary average, meaning there could be icy tundra countered by very hot desert. But given that the average is pretty hot, I'd not be inclined to think of Ostingele as Hoth.