Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the 25ers resurfaced in YC106 to protest the monopoly then held by the empires on deadspace warp beacon technology.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Capsuleer is going the way of the dodo  (Read 3222 times)

Dex_Kivuli

• Dex 2.11b
  • Egger
Capsuleer is going the way of the dodo
« on: 04 Oct 2010, 16:22 »

It is with great disappointment that I discovered this in my morning perusal of the capsuleer headlines:
http://capsuleer.evesuite.com/blog/

So Capsuleer is going to be no more. I find this sad. It was a great app, with great utility. Makes me wish I'd donated more ISK to them, but I suppose ISK can't pay to feed the family.

My worry is that this will cause a slow decline in Eve subscriptions. I'll just come out and admit it: sometimes I struggle to log in to Eve. The motivation slides, and the prospect of logging in to New Eden isn't that appealing.

However, on many occasions Capsuleer has kept me going. It's reminded me a skill is about to finish. I've pressed the update button, only to realise one of my accounts has lapsed (leading me to log in and sort it out). Hell... at times, just seeing the little icon on my iPhone encourages me to log in for some station spinning.

My concern is that this might cause Eve to take a hit. While I'm not screaming "the sky is falling", less subscribers is a Bad ThingTM.

Benjamin Shepherd

Re: Capsuleer is going the way of the dodo
« Reply #1 on: 04 Oct 2010, 16:26 »

I highly doubt people will stop playing EVE just because they can't get an app that makes things simpler. The benefits outweigh this 3rd party app.

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #2 on: 04 Oct 2010, 16:43 »

I highly doubt people will stop playing EVE just because they can't get an app that makes things simpler. The benefits outweigh this 3rd party app.

Chances are someone else will take over/move into the market, so to speak. I wouldn't fret too much.

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
« Reply #3 on: 04 Oct 2010, 16:59 »

A shame that marketing probably decided there was no budget for it, as it did get a lot of attention from various CCP people. EON decided against sponsoring it in the end as well.

Such a shame though, I am sure with donations the money for the server could be gathered, even if development wasn't really continued. Skimming over the eve-o thread I believe there are reasons why it is not going open source. I still remain hopeful they can find someone who wants to pick it up.

I highly doubt it is going to cost any subscriptions. My blog on the other hand might see less readers, since being on the blog pack and thus being included in capsuleer does show in Analytics. It's not a huge percentage, as most readers -- in particular the faithful reader group -- connect through RSS clients, twitter or direct links, but still it is one less method to acquire new readers who might one day become part of the faithful group. Oh well :(

Personal benefits aside, I will miss it. I have it running on my ipod touch, which allows me to check skill training away from home. Seems I am going to have to upgrade my crappy phone to an Android one to get Aura now.

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #4 on: 04 Oct 2010, 17:51 »

yeah I can't think this will actually harm subscriptions, that'd be like people quitting eve because evemon is being ended.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #5 on: 04 Oct 2010, 19:22 »

This is the first I've heard of this product and/or service.

That may have something to do with the fact that my phone only cost $20 when I bought it two years ago.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Graanvlokkie

« Reply #6 on: 04 Oct 2010, 23:54 »

Ive never used this app, as it was only avalible for Iphones. I can see perhaps why a paying company might not pick it up. You are marketing to a small selection of people, a portion of whom only have Iphones, and a portion of Iphone users may want to use the product.

Cant see it having any impact on subscriptions.

For skills: Log into Eve-Gate.
For blogs: Use an RSS reader.
« Last Edit: 04 Oct 2010, 23:56 by Graanvlokkie »

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #7 on: 05 Oct 2010, 01:14 »

I didn't even know this existed until just now. >>
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #8 on: 05 Oct 2010, 09:48 »

Eh. First, I use an Android phone, where Aura does pretty well (though I understand it doesn't quite match all the features of Capsuleer).

Second, I can't imagine somebody dropping EVE because a tool they liked has gone away, any more than they'd drop EVE because a tool they want doesn't exist.

And third, if enough people really enjoyed it, someone else will pick up the baton and run with it.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #9 on: 05 Oct 2010, 18:59 »

I didn't even know this existed until just now. >>

Me neither. Saying conscript- errg subscribers will decline over it is an exageration, imo.

Never liked Iphone anyhow - I got one, it was extremely expensive for it's services, and stopped working randomly for no reason at all. I got an older MP# player later, nearly for free, and it's yet to break. Pluss, I can add MP3 songs from my PC on it, with the Iphone I was told you have to DL the songs for money - that's right, I'll have to but all my music all over again because I can't import from my PC. Worthless crap.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #10 on: 05 Oct 2010, 22:16 »

I have an iPhone, because I received it as a gift, and telling you family you're refusing their expensive-as-shit gift isn't my thing.

Then the original one broke, and I was excited to get something else. Bad news, because we bought the originals, we somehow qualified for a free 3G one.

So now I have a second iPhone. I freaking hate Apple and their weak products. ><

'Cept iPods. My original one is still serving me well. :3

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
Will never happen to you

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 05 Oct 2010, 23:29 »

Oooops, meant Ipod in the above post. Silly me.

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
« Reply #12 on: 06 Oct 2010, 00:44 »

I don't get what people do with Apple products that they break so easily, my ipod sees a lot of use and it just runs like a charm.

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #13 on: 06 Oct 2010, 01:05 »

I don't get what people do with Apple products that they break so easily, my ipod sees a lot of use and it just runs like a charm.

Well, the other side of that coin is people that complain about their PCs catching viruses or BSODing. Worse yet when I ask them what they were doing prior... yeah, Jack, I've got no idea how your PC got malware after you downloaded 5 free mmos from Korea and didn't scan any of the programs, must be that PCs just suck.

But, back on track. Personally, the motivation that keeps me going is my plans on EVEmon. Looking at the shiny ships in my future, and imagining getting to fly them gets me all giddy indeed. Although, it does cause me to see if I can somehow skimp on recommended skills to get said ships faster... prolly not a good thing, but I'm impatient. ._.

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
Will never happen to you

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 06 Oct 2010, 04:21 »

If you go by recoomendations and certificates, I've found they are all mostly bullshit anyway. Many will say that having all lvl 5's in skills are a must for the certificate and that this and that certificate is then 'needed' for the ships and such. Utter rubbish. I've not seen the need, for instance, in gun spec 5 of any given gun. It takes forever and only gives a 2% damage increase per level, you only need level 1 to use the T2 gun anyway - take it to 4 and leave it at a respectable 8% increase in damage, why waste weeks, or months, on that 2% increase?

There are a multitude of other examples, like [racial] drone spec 5, fighters 5, the advanced learning skills on 5 etc.

On the other hand, basic support skilsl like hull upgrades, engineering, navigation, shield upgrades, mechanic, weapon upgrades etc. are not jsut good to have on lvl5, but quite needed for alot of things I take for granted these days. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to not be able to fit that mod your main has had available for years, on that nice industrial toon of your because that spesific skill was not lvl5 yet and so on...

Entire thing's about balancing it out, gettign the needed/useful skills to 5 and leaving the ones that are not too important on 4 and such.

Skills granting new abilities and ships to fly are part of my motivation too. I love the sense of real progress tihs game has. There is no end game. A god of PVP am I? Can still master so many industry skills, to name only one alternative.

That and RP. And the PVP. And to balance out PVP and to have another sense of progress and prowess, industry. I can't wait to sink my teeth into industry and T2 production and research. Self-built Toys, hell yeah.
Pages: [1] 2