Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Hak'len (AKA Kresh liquor) is toxic to non-Caldari?

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Quick Questions involving Rogue Drones  (Read 4390 times)

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
Re: Quick Questions involving Rogue Drones
« Reply #15 on: 07 Jan 2013, 19:50 »

I don't believe that rogue drones are evolved to a human level of consciousness yet. Mostly animal instincts (through hive minds) and an emerging consciousness that seem to think like a little child / infant most of the time, depending on the hives.

Unless though, of course, some hidden rogue drone societies exist somewhere else that are a lot more evolved than the clunky, hungry things we see in missions and all around ingame...
Trying to compare Rogue Drones to a "human level" is a terrible, terrible mistake. Instead, try considering them as an alien race that evolved... somewhere else. "Incomprehensible" is an apt descriptor. Totally different value system, thinking process, priorities, etc. Learning speed that outstrips ours by such ridiculous magnitudes that a single lowly drone could in ten seconds complete what for a human would be a lifetime of study and experimentation.

If we're gauging the power of their intellect, they can open spatial anomalies with their "minds" while we glorious capsuleers can at best amount to piloting armed lunchboxes toward them with our comparably pitiful capsule-dependent gray matter.

Oh, and if you were a newly birthed sentient species fleeing in fear from your vengeful creator, would you hang out in solar systems where they live? Or perhaps... some place in between... in my imagination, the rogues we encounter are the most rudimentary scuttling calculators, sent out as vanguards and scouts by some distant, malign and absolutely bizarre intellect, meant to get shot and die to allow said intellect to figure out how our weapons work.

I this description
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

JinOtsi

• Clonejack
« Reply #16 on: 07 Jan 2013, 19:52 »

I don't believe that rogue drones are evolved to a human level of consciousness yet. Mostly animal instincts (through hive minds) and an emerging consciousness that seem to think like a little child / infant most of the time, depending on the hives.

Unless though, of course, some hidden rogue drone societies exist somewhere else that are a lot more evolved than the clunky, hungry things we see in missions and all around ingame...
Trying to compare Rogue Drones to a "human level" is a terrible, terrible mistake. Instead, try considering them as an alien race that evolved... somewhere else. "Incomprehensible" is an apt descriptor. Totally different value system, thinking process, priorities, etc. Learning speed that outstrips ours by such ridiculous magnitudes that a single lowly drone could in ten seconds complete what for a human would be a lifetime of study and experimentation.

If we're gauging the power of their intellect, they can open spatial anomalies with their "minds" while we glorious capsuleers can at best amount to piloting armed lunchboxes toward them with our comparably pitiful capsule-dependent gray matter.

Oh, and if you were a newly birthed sentient species fleeing in fear from your vengeful creator, would you hang out in solar systems where they live? Or perhaps... some place in between... in my imagination, the rogues we encounter are the most rudimentary scuttling calculators, sent out as vanguards and scouts by some distant, malign and absolutely bizarre intellect, meant to get shot and die to allow said intellect to figure out how our weapons work.

Citation needed.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 07 Jan 2013, 21:27 »

I think he has made some of the canon for rogue drones :D

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #18 on: 07 Jan 2013, 21:52 »

Citation needed.

http://tomczerniawski.wordpress.com/e-on-chronicle-the-eighth-plague/

Enjoy :p

JinOtsi

• Clonejack
« Reply #19 on: 08 Jan 2013, 00:49 »

Citation needed.

http://tomczerniawski.wordpress.com/e-on-chronicle-the-eighth-plague/

Enjoy :p

I stand corrected. I still question the validity of E-ON articles though, as they're hardly accessible for all the RPers.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #20 on: 08 Jan 2013, 01:31 »

The same could be said for the books. At least this EON article was written by someone involved in creating the original PF for the game. I'd take HG over TonyG any day.   :yar:

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #21 on: 08 Jan 2013, 01:47 »

I know that they sometimes (or used to) spout out binary that would translate to stuff - that may be what you're thinking of? Unfortunately I don't have any logs. If you look at some rogue drone mission guides, they probably have it in there though?

Yeah, there's at least one lower-level mission where they call you a loser in binary when you warp in.
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #22 on: 08 Jan 2013, 02:53 »

The level 4 mission 'Attack of the Drones', where you get ambushed by 4 trigger spawn cruisers is where you get 'bzzt...more prey...bzzt'.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #23 on: 08 Jan 2013, 03:11 »

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #24 on: 08 Jan 2013, 03:15 »

I don't think I've ever treated the Rogue Drones as a true intelligence. Then again a large part of my character's background involves time spent in the Kalavela Expanse and it wasn't pleasant. So I'm a bit biased.

That said, any mission I've ever done involving Rogue Drones, seems to involve either an "Infestation" or "a mad scientist" either way, clearly the only correct response is to nuke everything...

Lyn Farel

« Reply #25 on: 08 Jan 2013, 04:33 »

I don't disagree with that. That's precisely my point.

They are extremely specialized, as you say, computing power, learning curve, opening spacial anomalies in a glimpse, etc.

I sure see them as a very alien mind and entity. As I said I also can easily imagine they have hidden masterminds somewhere and what we see are only stupid, retarded minions.

However what I also see in the canon is that some people have the code to control them just like that, making them helpless. I was specifically refering to these retarded minions we see ingame, not the wider entity we can imagine behind.

Jocca Quinn

• Wetgraver
« Reply #26 on: 08 Jan 2013, 05:11 »

There is a rogue drone in the gallente cosmos that gives out a coule of missions, it used to use a jovian avatar (before the new char generator).

If I remember orrectly it hangs out at a planet somewhere (can't find my notes) rather than in one of the agent sites.

I think it has been damaged in someway and requires your assistance to repair itself. I beleive that it shows itself as belonging to the ORE.

Edit: found the evelopedia entry.
http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Drone_Mind
« Last Edit: 08 Jan 2013, 05:13 by Altarica »

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #27 on: 08 Jan 2013, 06:09 »

There is a rogue drone in the gallente cosmos that gives out a coule of missions, it used to use a jovian avatar (before the new char generator).

If I remember orrectly it hangs out at a planet somewhere (can't find my notes) rather than in one of the agent sites.

I think it has been damaged in someway and requires your assistance to repair itself. I beleive that it shows itself as belonging to the ORE.

Edit: found the evelopedia entry.
http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Drone_Mind

Yeah my character's been sending people to get her Drone Mind Embryos from that mission for ages now :D

I'm currently collecting piles of rogue drone fluff items and other 'sciency' junk that might be useful in RP, with the hope that eventually a method comes along to pour all that stuff into a big cooker and get interesting things out.

Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #28 on: 08 Jan 2013, 12:31 »

The descriptions of the rogue drone officers also suggest intelligence, amongst other things.

so since drones can be bartered with, and conduct their own experiments and investigations into things, then they're intelligent and have some form of culture.

Maybe they're smarter than people, maybe they're not. It will be up to CCP's writers to determine that.
\o/

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #29 on: 08 Jan 2013, 19:22 »

I see it as grimly fitting if some of the more advanced models picked up the scientific method, and experimentation, via dissection of their creators' violently-pincered-out brains.
Pages: 1 [2] 3