EVE-Online RP Discussion and Resources > CCP Public Library

FTL communications.

<< < (2/4) > >>

Louella Dougans:

--- Quote from: Casiella on 09 May 2010, 12:16 ---But what about the proliferation of remote agents (e.g. epic arcs)? And let's not forget space-based agents like at the data centers, COSMOS, etc.

--- End quote ---

The data centre and cosmos ones, are generally pretty close by, so you could use radio or laser link, or other such lightspeed communications.

The remote agents are an interesting thing though. Hmm.

Casiella:
Okay I've reread the source article, and I don't see any real problems with the new novel. After all, pilots could have their images stores in a distributed fashion and just transmit emotes or other low bandwidth data that gets rendered for the agent, sort of like today's virtual worlds. Full BE across these links would probably be another matter though, as the OP notes.

Esna Pitoojee:
There's another way of looking at this, which is that FTL bandwith may have more to do with the processors at either end of the signal than the bandwith itself.

Casiella:

--- Quote from: Esna Pitoojee on 09 May 2010, 14:16 ---There's another way of looking at this, which is that FTL bandwith may have more to do with the processors at either end of the signal than the bandwith itself.

--- End quote ---

Did you read the article? Specifically, the next-to-last paragraph.

Horatius Caul:

--- Quote ---Personally, I'm a purist when it comes to Comms (heh). Yes, a capsuleer can mentally broadcast his voice in his ship (demonstrated in the Jovian Wetgrave), and all communications are essentially electronically-carried telepathy. That said, chat systems are chat systems. I believe that Fluid routers have very slim bandwidths, rendering anything beyond symbol-based chat amazingly expensive and inconvenient. I realize that many roleplayers enjoy broadcasting their holographic images to places, but I find that grating on my view of the PF.
--- End quote ---
That's me, from here.

I offered this solution as a way to explain holographic avatars running on a low-bandwidth net:

--- Quote ---This said... I believe it has been suggested that NEOCOM transmissions can be sent with subtext (such as emotive gradients, voice imprints, etc) that the receiver can use to manufacture a more 'alive' message than pure text. This could then be expanded: A capsuleer sends a 3D avatar to his favourite bar. The bar stores the avatar, and whenever the capsuleer wishes to visit it remotely he can send subtextual cues to the holo-system, allowing it to animate the avatar accordingly. It might be a bit 'uncanny valley' but it might serve for interaction.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version