Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Kaalakiota, or KK, is the largest of the Caldari megacorporations, and was run by Tibus Heth.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Guild Wars 2 Backstage Guild?  (Read 5379 times)

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
Guild Wars 2 Backstage Guild?
« on: 10 Aug 2012, 20:29 »

So I've been thinking. Of those who will be playing Guild Wars 2, how many of you will be looking for an RP guild? How many already have a place to go? The thought has crossed my mind that maybe we could work together to build a Backstage presence within Guild Wars 2, if there's enough interest for it.

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
Re: Guild Wars 2 Backstage Guild?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Aug 2012, 21:02 »

All of my YIS.

I'm totally up for it. Most likely gonna be Sylvari or Char so hope its inclusive of other races since I know you're gonna be a hoo-man.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 10 Aug 2012, 22:09 »

"Maybe."

Ulf's immersing himself in GW2 lore and seems to be enjoying it. I'm going to give it a go, after surprising myself by enjoying my blat in the last open beta.

We're likely to join "Tarnished Coast", which is the designated RP server for North America and is ping-closer to us than the one for Europe.

I'm still getting my head around the GW2 guild system: it seems you can have multiple guilds, that all your characters belong to all your guilds (guild membership is by player/account, not by character), and that you can represent only one guild at a time. I'm also unclear on the final decisions about the mechanics of being invited to other servers where you have contacts.

We'll likely start our own guild as a squad of the Iron Legion for our Char characters. Currently no plans beyond that, although someone should set up somewhere for Norns to have flyting contests.

Rin Kaelestria

• Egger
  • The fluffly Rinyan!
« Reply #3 on: 10 Aug 2012, 22:17 »

I already have plans on what server I'll be on and what guild I'll be a part of, for the most part. While you can join other guilds, rules are with the guild I'm going with is that I need to be more active with them then others. We'll see, though.

Misan

• Shady Thukker & Ninja Admin
  • Pod Captain
    • Serious Thukking Business - Blog
« Reply #4 on: 11 Aug 2012, 06:35 »

Haven't decided quite yet where I'll be (depends on what friends and some siblings do) but since the guild system does allow for multiple guilds I'm up for joining.

I'm mostly figuring out where I want to have the home server, as all it really matters for is WvW pairings. Probably going to be internet less after mid-September for a good while though, so I won't be super active.
EVE Blog and Project Status: on hold -- busy being Thukker-esque IRL.
Twitter
What I'm busy with, if you're curious.

Halete

• Egger
  • Just wants a friend...
« Reply #5 on: 23 Aug 2012, 06:04 »

Interesting. I know that I'm playing with a tight-knight group from outside of EVE I've played dozens of games with since more or less forever.

We're all Roleplayers, so I may have to poke around and see if I can get something started with my group. If so, it's a possibility you'll see me around IC!

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #6 on: 27 Aug 2012, 23:12 »

Thus far I'm liking the game, but can't find that many RP oriented guilds I'm interested in. Anyone thats playing know of any resources or sites?
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #8 on: 29 Aug 2012, 19:14 »

Is it worth getting? I'm considering it.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #9 on: 29 Aug 2012, 19:41 »

Is it worth getting? I'm considering it.

I'm enjoying it a lot. The crafting is surprisingly addictive. I'm mostly enjoying exploring.

I chose a thief first off, and later discovered this is considered one of the harder classes. You get good peak damage for a short period, so if your target is not too tough you win quickly, but then you run out of steam, and you're somewhat fragile.

Rangers seem to be much easier.

I started thinking I'd only play three characters, and there's already 6 on my wish list (and I only have 5 slots)

Upsides:
I like that cooperation is encouraged in a number of ways. I like that if I get stomped by a centaur and there's someone else around, they'll probably try to revive me.
I like exploring, and seeing the different places (you get experience for visiting new places).
I like the fact that a lot of it seems designed so that there are few bad choices early on that you can't retract later if you change your mind.

Downsides:
Bits of the game still aren't working (the Auction house has been down every time I've checked)
I miss being able to talk about the game mechanics IC
I'm not entirely sold on the idea that all your characters sharing the same bank and guild

I think it's worth it, but it's only really my second MMO
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #10 on: 31 Aug 2012, 06:46 »

Sleepy Mata update on GW2.

The game mechanics support thinking of yourself as a player, who happens to have a number of puppets/characters. Your characters share the same mail account (for non-NPC mail), a "bank account" where you can store stuff, and some achievements are totalled over all your accounts. As someone used to having alts actually have to deal with each other the hard way that's taking some getting used to. There are things about players coming to EVE from WoW-type games that make more sense to me now. It's tricky for our kind of immersive roleplay.

Parts of it are refreshingly easy: they feel like cheating. Other parts not so much: I accidentally clicked myself into my first PvP event today, was utterly confused throughout it, and now I'm officially a PvP bunny (no, really: they give you a rabbit icon). Must do something about that.

The market is coming online now. The developers explicitly liked the EVE market and wanted to emulate it. We've just discovered that there are some mechanics for setting party destinations and targets, so that's another thing semi-sorted. You still mostly can't kill people and take their stuff, but I think we might work up to something similar-ish.

So far I'd say it's a hybrid. I'm enjoying it as a single-player or duo game which happens to have other people around. I'm keen to find out what it's like with intentional groups.

Rin Kaelestria

• Egger
  • The fluffly Rinyan!
« Reply #11 on: 31 Aug 2012, 08:19 »

The developers explicitly liked the EVE market and wanted to emulate it.

Yup, absolutely right there. At one time they did claim that the inspiration behind how the Gem system worked was from EVE's plex system. I can't recall if they said their Trading Post was also EVE inspired, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was to some degree.

For those looking into purchasing the game now, I'm going to give a fair warning. Don't go to the main GW2 website to purchase the game. Reason for that is, they've temporarily disabled it. Here are a couple of links as to why:

http://techland.time.com/2012/08/29/guild-wars-2-producer-wed-turn-off-sales-to-preserve-the-game-experience/

http://www.facebook.com/GuildWars2/posts/10151098751069209

Halete

• Egger
  • Just wants a friend...
« Reply #12 on: 06 Sep 2012, 08:17 »

Did this end up going anywhere?

I rolled on Tarnished Coast (the unofficial NA RP server, as Mata mentioned).

Bastion Ravenholm in the guild Essence Flux, here.

Rin Kaelestria

• Egger
  • The fluffly Rinyan!
« Reply #13 on: 06 Sep 2012, 09:56 »

Did this end up going anywhere?

I rolled on Tarnished Coast (the unofficial NA RP server, as Mata mentioned).

Bastion Ravenholm in the guild Essence Flux, here.

I have no idea, honestly. I'm on an entirely different server at this time, and rolling in another guild. For those curious, "Henge of Denravi" server, Charter Vanguard guild, and you can find me under my EVE online name. (Though that's not the only character I have.) :P

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #14 on: 06 Sep 2012, 13:20 »

(Though that's not the only character I have.) :P

No kidding :). I have already bought an extra character slot to scratch the alt-itch. My original main character has  fallen a bit behind on the progression stakes...

I've created a private guild for Mata and me that I'm casually putting karma points in as I wander around with the aim of having a guild bank that we can share (more storage!), and once I've done that I'll be looking to find a guild to join for rp purposes.

I have got a little bit of random pick-up RP by helping people with their missions, (some of which has been lovely) but not a huge amount yet.
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"
Pages: [1] 2 3