Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Serpentis Corporation was initially a Gallentean research firm that evolved into a drug cartel? Read more here.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Character development-is Ava a dead end?  (Read 7602 times)

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
Re: Character development-is Ava a dead end?
« Reply #15 on: 12 Nov 2012, 16:08 »

Oh.

Then come back? I thinks?

And meh. Thats part of the problem. Lots of peopleto call Ava heathen, very few to be called heathen with =(

Lets switch characters. Let me play Ava for a while, then you can play Merd? ;)

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #16 on: 12 Nov 2012, 16:10 »

Consider joining Re-Aw. AFAIK, they are pro-republic, corp-is-IC, relaxed and don't make to much noise. May want to see what they do and consider the options for a more... low-key and chillaxed existence.

Other than that, the more universal one that has been offered, just for repetition; figure out what you wanna do in EVE, then go do it and paster your RP on that. Instead of, the other way around. And if nothing interests you anymore, well. I'd be sad to see you go, but there is no point in playing/paying for non-entertainment.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 Nov 2012, 17:33 »

I'd be sad to see Ava go. So would Arnulf himself for that matter. He has a little bit of a crush on her but has never felt it appropriate to express it.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #18 on: 12 Nov 2012, 17:41 »

I'd be sad to see Ava go. So would Arnulf himself for that matter. He has a little bit of a crush on her but has never felt it appropriate to express it.

Maybe he should have.

Rin Kaelestria

• Egger
  • The fluffly Rinyan!
« Reply #19 on: 12 Nov 2012, 18:33 »

I don't know if it's too late to try, but it wouldn't hurt?

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #20 on: 12 Nov 2012, 18:51 »

LOVE IS IN THE AIR

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 13 Nov 2012, 03:11 »

All stories have an ending.

It is not a bad thing.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

NISYN Aelisha

« Reply #22 on: 13 Nov 2012, 03:50 »

Both the Minmatar and Amarr have struck me as intensely hard to roleplay, which originally I though was merely my personal distaste for portraying (though not seeing portrayed) characters from those backgrounds.  However, it seems that time and time again the pressure of fighting against the broad strokes of stereotype and 'bad fic' related to the two is the main contributing factor.  It is similar to a discussion with an in game friend regarding perceived 'State roleplayer unity versus Federation fractiousness', the fiction suggests that despite internal pressure the State is collectivist, and thus people who like the idea of collectivism gather under the banner to rp.  This is not to say it is universally true, but it was an interesting point of conversation.  Essentially, people enter racial/national rp pre-configured by what they have read, for better or ill.

Now I am DEFINITELY not saying 'go State' - god knows that just turning around and throwing a template over your years of hardwork would be patronising at best, outright insulting at worst.  What I am saying is that all of us should look at the divisions within our racial/national roleplay basis and try to see why so many are content to form tiny groups with minimal growth (SKADI being the exception with it;s desire for growth).  RP in isolation feels safe, primarily.  Listening to the IGS, this fine forum and even The Summit gives a false flag for the identification of legitimate, active roleplaying groups beyond 'we post words'. 

There is a seething underbelly of closet roleplayers that Veikitamo has tapped into on our end, and I'd love to see SKADI potentially tap the same source, though they need handling with kid gloves as they grow into their own characters.  The main question here is, do you as the player wish to engage in the effort?  I can tell you now I do not, and that is why I am glad and proud to count myself as a member of a corp with Veik and Desi to tirelessly populate it.  EvE is a trying game, burn out is often inevitable if temporary and the community is simultaneously the best and worst there is.  You clearly have high standards and I would urge you to never let go of them, they have been forged by previous actions you have taken exception to and those lessons will serve you well in avoiding future drama-harvest occurring with your brand too close to the fallout to avoid attention despite being innocent. 

I will close on the issue I found difficult when writing this post, I do not know you awfully well.  We have a lot of area of residence, rough age, gender, political alignment info going around in OOC, but it is very difficult to advise a personal, enjoyable fictitious experience when the mind of the other person is unknowable due to 'lolinternet'.  I do hope that I have helped in some way, and would welcome further discussion. 
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2012, 03:52 by NISYN Aelisha »

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #23 on: 13 Nov 2012, 07:10 »

The issue isnt the "lack of growth". The issue is the virtual nonexistence of Minmatar RP at the moment outside of Ushra'khan. I admit, I am puzzled by why corporations like WHG grow so nicely, but SKDI did not. However, I have also pulled SKDI out of FW for an indefinite length of time, due to simply hating everything about the current FW environment, which likely wont appeal to people who want an RP corp. Will SKDI stay out of FW? I dont know..?

When SKDI did grow, it was almost universaly alts. Im sorry, if my corp isnt enticing enough to join on a toon that will actually be used, id rather that person did not join. There exists a body of Caldari RPers that WHG was able to draw from.

There is NOT the same body of Minmatar characters. Any that do appear run off to join U'k or Defiant Legacy and that is that, so they can continue the godawful "DIE BURN KILL I HAS SUFFERED AT TEH HANDS OF TEH SLAVERS" cycle. There is a lot more depth to Minmatar than that, just as there is a lot more depth to the Caldari than being mindless collectivist drones.

Joining Lutinari and having it roll over and die almost immediately sucked. It sucked a lot. Gottii, Matariki, Mirabi, and a few others represented pretty much all that was left of the non-rawr Minmatar community. I am the only minmatar player in the Summit or active even here, an overwhelmingly large part of the time.

Thanks for the advice.

NISYN Aelisha

« Reply #24 on: 13 Nov 2012, 07:22 »

Thanks for explaining your position more thoroughly, I can see there are a lot of factors I have not been able to account for due to little prior knowledge. 

I, myself, am an avid advocate of 'tribal minmatar' roleplay, focused on their unique culture(s) instead of an Amarr-centric 'reactive counter culture' that the groups you mentioned seem to represent.  It may be a limited insight, but Bruce Parry's Tribe series impressed upon me the effect of ushering tribal communities into the modern world, especially that it is possible for them to thrive in such an environment whilst retaining their cultural heritage.  I would dearly love to see this vision, as I feel it marries nicely with yours, realised - but alas I would make for a terrible minmatar roleplayer.  The 'modern savage and noble primitive' mentality is really a disservice to the minmatar, as a capable, innovative and competitive race - regardless of their technological and resource handicaps (which are being overcome if their recent, more solid looking ship designs indicate). 

Short of herding fresh blood roleplayers into an isolation tank and bombarding them with BBC documentary series and lectures on ethnography and tribal culture in a post-colonial world, I really feel that the lack of education with regards to the social issues represented in the modern Minmatar Republic will always hamper, stymie, then polarise the way in which Matari rp expresses itself. 

Sorry this has taken a bit of a downer, but I do see a massive uphill struggle to start an introspective minmatar roleplaying environment.  I would be happy to have Ael 'discuss' ICly the Minmatar as she is a great lover of other cultures, even if in a transitory 'them and us' way - but she would merely be a tourist spinning her own opinions, and you need more than that.  I am encouraged by your focus as mentioned in your post though, and would love an OOC chat over the weekend or sometime when you are free to bounce around how we see the Republic outside the skins of our chars.

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #25 on: 13 Nov 2012, 07:34 »

I'd like to talk sometime!. And yes, I am big on tribal (and intertribal) RP. The Amarr are the bad guy. Hating amarrians dosent make someone Minmatar. There's a lot more to it.

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #26 on: 13 Nov 2012, 07:38 »

The 'easiest' way to grow an RP corp if you don't have a big name you can advertise with, in my experience, is how Scagga built up Delictum back in the day. They'd trawl forums/channels for fit new players (correct character race / able to spell somewhat correctly / other) and then simply approach them with an IC invitation to join the corp.
A surprising ammount of people is willing to join up if you offer them a modicum of education (tipps on skill training, how to fit ships and make money, baby steps of pvp) and maybe a bunch of free t1 ships to get blown up in.

The only problem with that approach is that it takes a lot of time and effort to build up a first generation of responsible corp members who know how to perform those tasks and how to teach new blood.

It's much easier to recruit people who are not adamantly "rp'ers" to begin with because a.) there are way more of them, b.) they don't have a set-in-stone background story yet and c.) they'll learn about their corp's faction by you.

I hope this is at least somewhat helpfull. Good luck either way - it'd be a great loss to see you leave  :s

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #27 on: 13 Nov 2012, 07:41 »

I have to say, I agree with Laerise on this.

Its much easier to take a non-RPer and turn them into an RPer than it is to take an established character and fit them to what you need, or pull them away from their established holes in the ground.

Sometimes?  Those people wont be the most active RPers, but they will usually be active pilots at the very least.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Gesakaarin

« Reply #28 on: 13 Nov 2012, 08:09 »

If the situation your character is in makes you the player feel like you're on the fast road to bittervet and unsubbing, personally I think finding a new vision is preferrable than feeling trapped due to the weight of in-game history. Looking back, all the times I went on extended Eve breaks was that I would get exhausted trying to show the depth in the Fed beyond the stereotypes but I would give up when it felt that all that was available from others was just, "Freedom and Liberty, We're the Good Guys" to the point it just felt useless putting in the effort anymore.

I'm not sure if the situation is the same with you Ava, but do you still believe in what the Minmatar have to offer and more importantly are there aspects or niches within it that you do find enjoyable and provide the depth you want and drive you to explore it? Because I think if you're not passionate to some extent in what you want out of your RP you'll always find the lack of motivation to do anything about it.

Just try and find something that makes you go, "Damn, this is should be interesting," Then go full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes. :)

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #29 on: 13 Nov 2012, 08:10 »

Oh, if you don't mind there is one more thing to add.

From what I can tell there seems to be a cycle of growth/shrinkage in the RP community. In my experience these intervals are about half a year to a year long and they can be evaluated pretty easily by checking the IGS thread headers (for lack of a better source than "my gut feeling").

There are times when "the RP crowd" flocks to a certain new fad and all of a sudden you seem to be spending more time in recruitement interviews or noobie-pvp-training drills than anything else. This usually abates after the newness of the fad wears off.
The cycles seem to migrate specifically from empire-loyal to pirate and then back to, in many cases another empire, empire-loyal.

The reason why I'm posting this is that I've lived through quite a lot of these cycles by now having been in a single corp for almost.. what, six years now? It can be, nay, it is super frustrating to see the big crowd move on, especially when you have sunk so much effort into their training  :lol: but the important thing is to realise that there'll be another upcycle again and to enjoy the calm down-cycles by doing solo-pvp (ava and my way of dealing with it iirc), diplomacy and forum pvp (hi rodj :D ) or writing awesome RP articles and stories.  :yar:

Edit:

If the situation your character is in makes you the player feel like you're on the fast road to bittervet and unsubbing, personally I think finding a new vision is preferrable than feeling trapped due to the weight of in-game history. Looking back, all the times I went on extended Eve breaks was that I would get exhausted trying to show the depth in the Fed beyond the stereotypes but I would give up when it felt that all that was available from others was just, "Freedom and Liberty, We're the Good Guys" to the point it just felt useless putting in the effort anymore.

I'm not sure if the situation is the same with you Ava, but do you still believe in what the Minmatar have to offer and more importantly are there aspects or niches within it that you do find enjoyable and provide the depth you want and drive you to explore it? Because I think if you're not passionate to some extent in what you want out of your RP you'll always find the lack of motivation to do anything about it.

Just try and find something that makes you go, "Damn, this is should be interesting," Then go full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes. :)

Damn good points there. I can't stress how important the "damn the torpedoes" part is. It's very easy to get frustrated and hung up with it all.
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2012, 08:12 by Laerise [PIE] »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5