Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Wolves of Pator rescued and freed 5,000 slaves as a wedding gift for Evanda Char?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Building a Ship  (Read 3464 times)

Kentt

• Clonejack
  • "Who Dares Wins"
Building a Ship
« on: 07 May 2012, 13:42 »

I'll post it here so the roleplayer community can check it out as well.  Maybe give a few smiles.  But I am restarting up an old project of mine of building a Lego Reaper (the old one) that is minifig sized.  This one also has a interior that I designed, as right now it is not pod-capable.  But it will be later.

So, here is the final picture of my progress so far, as a teaser incase you did want to check it out.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
Link to its Lego page :)

Edit: Hmm... I guess this also could have been in the "OOG/Off-topic Discussion" place... but it is still EVE related.
« Last Edit: 17 May 2012, 01:37 by Kentt »

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
Re: Building a Ship
« Reply #1 on: 07 May 2012, 14:47 »

LEGO! \o/
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #2 on: 07 May 2012, 15:58 »

WOOOOOT  :D

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 07 May 2012, 19:57 »

So. Much. Win.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Mathra Hiede

• Omelette
« Reply #4 on: 07 May 2012, 21:06 »

Innocence prooves nothing - Solen Sean

Kentt

• Clonejack
  • "Who Dares Wins"
« Reply #5 on: 08 May 2012, 04:53 »

Retractible landing gear that is held together by more then duct tape.  Even with the suspension pressed all the way down, the engine doesn't look like it's going to hit the ground.  Might be thinking of eventually having all the landing gear connected by gears so if one was moved then the others would.

...I guess now that the landing gear is made I should get around to finishing the cabin and top of the ship >.<

Oh, and I also have it on Flickr!
« Last Edit: 09 May 2012, 04:36 by Kentt »

Kentt

• Clonejack
  • "Who Dares Wins"
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2012, 22:51 »

One half of the ship is almost done... just will have to find a good way for the top wingy bit and reinforce a few parts.  Got most of the pilot's cabin done and even gave it a opening smuggling floor for people or a cargo of illegal boosters!  You can also see that I started putting more detail into the main engine there... going to work on that maybe tommorow.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2012, 00:03 »

Unsure if whatever program you're using allows you to do this, but it's possible to wedge a plate on edge between two lines of bumps on a surface; if you do it with a couple of longer plates, it can make a fairly stable connection for wingy bits.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Kentt

• Clonejack
  • "Who Dares Wins"
« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2012, 10:27 »

Unsure if whatever program you're using allows you to do this, but it's possible to wedge a plate on edge between two lines of bumps on a surface; if you do it with a couple of longer plates, it can make a fairly stable connection for wingy bits.

Hmm... I don't think the program (I am using Lego Digital Designer here) allows that, but I can give it a try.  If no, then maybe something that involves the technic pieces.  Thank you

Edit: Nope, it didn't allow that... so I had tried this.  With the top wing smaller, it should hold until the ship pulls that sharp turn or hard roll.  Then who knows what will happen lol.
[spoiler][/spoiler]
« Last Edit: 13 May 2012, 19:25 by Kentt »

Kentt

• Clonejack
  • "Who Dares Wins"
« Reply #9 on: 18 May 2012, 05:59 »

An update for today.  While being fueled by random genres of music playing from youtube, I was able to make the middle and finally connect both halfs of the Reaper.  I went crazy on the design on the inside... but I was surprised how easy it came together afterwards.  I am crossing my fingers that it will be strong enough to support the ship together if it were built in real life.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: 18 May 2012, 06:00 by Kentt »

Valadeus

« Reply #10 on: 18 May 2012, 08:37 »

Seriously, this is amazing dude! Keep us posted!

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #11 on: 18 May 2012, 10:05 »

I am crossing my fingers that it will be strong enough to support the ship together if it were built in real life.

Superglue and multiple supports.

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #12 on: 18 May 2012, 11:09 »

I am crossing my fingers that it will be strong enough to support the ship together if it were built in real life.

Superglue and multiple supports.

...do they make lego-sized duct tape?

Kentt

• Clonejack
  • "Who Dares Wins"
« Reply #13 on: 18 May 2012, 14:12 »

...do they make lego-sized duct tape?

Nope... but if I cut em in teeny tiny pieces I think that would be a laugh. :D

Kentt

• Clonejack
  • "Who Dares Wins"
« Reply #14 on: 19 May 2012, 07:15 »

This night I had some fun and worked more on the engines.  The 2nd and 3rd engine still needs adjusting to align where the dark grey transisions into a light grey.  And they need to be strengthend as they are held to the rest of the ship by two places near their fronts.  But other then that it is turning out well.  You can also see the extra reinforcing I did under the middle in the last picture.

And how I plan to have it land.  Maybe I'll get the top wing to fold downward and over the two smaller engines for "storage mode" while in a hanger or something.  That's a thought.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
Pages: [1] 2