Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Guristas co-founder Jirai Laitanen, also known as Fatal, was podded in YC106, but suffered from severe memory loss and motor impairment because he only had an inferior clone on standby.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: EVE - Origins Trailer  (Read 8388 times)

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
Re: EVE - Origins Trailer
« Reply #60 on: 29 Apr 2013, 14:16 »

Relevant to characters vs relevant to Players.

The NPC powers of EVE have been relevant to characters, because it is the NPC powers that design ships, provide capsule training, and give reasons to fight.

If and when player corporations are allowed to design ships (does that ship design competition count?), or have buddy referrals start in their own space, or various other things that replace NPC functions, then the setting, whether it is of flourishing or fading civilisations is entirely irrelevant to both player and character.

Perhaps, but I very much doubt we're ever going to get anywhere near that far. For one thing, null-dweller wish-fulfillment fantasies aside, high security space is NOT going away until CCP decides that life is not worth living.

You're mistaking a changing canonical background for a vanishing canonical background; I don't see that happening at all, especially with CCP's renewed support for its storyline.

If the canonical background has no effect on anything a player may wish to do, then it might as well have vanished, regardless of how many books, films, TV series are based on the EVE setting.

If it's Tuesday, the Empress is blonde.
\o/

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #61 on: 29 Apr 2013, 14:23 »

If nullsec alliances are to be spun as the "new empires", I see an additional two problems there. One is the lack of truly deep cultures - "I have a smoking bee on my flag and you have a little virus on yours" doesn't really amount to a culture, let alone compare to that possessed by the vast and varied Big 4 or pirate factions.

The second is the fluidity of nullsec politics.

"GRR ARGH YOU ARE MY DEEPEST ENEMY AND WE SHALL FIGHT FOREVER!"
*Expansion released, nullsec politics shift, blocs move around.*
"My brother!"
*Coalition failcascades for some reason, remnants merge into two others.*
"GRR ARGH ENEMY KILL" etc

It's not very condusive to writing deep, long-term stories about, and that's before we even get into trying to interact with them.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #62 on: 29 Apr 2013, 14:28 »

If the canonical background has no effect on anything a player may wish to do, then it might as well have vanished, regardless of how many books, films, TV series are based on the EVE setting.

If it's Tuesday, the Empress is blonde.

Louella, I'm pretty much flat certain this isn't what empires seeing their power wane means. Among other things, that would mean dropping all NPC faction wars, which is not going to happen even if I do think they could stand to shake up the current ones a bit.

The empires could all collapse into civil war, and there would STILL be capsuleers playing favorites. CCP hasn't emitted the slightest whiff of eliminating empire sovereignty or otherwise taking them and their cultures and beliefs and distinctions and agents off the stage. Why are we talking as though they were?

For my money, the real horror would be writing a rich, detailed world and then just letting it sit there and turn slowly to stone while capsuleers whirled pointlessly around a static edifice. I've been in worlds that did that; the sense of futility eventually crushed my will to continue, even though I loved every other part of it.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #63 on: 29 Apr 2013, 14:32 »

Losing grip does not mean lost completely. People are jumping to the extreme. Capsuleers do represent a grave threat to the empires, as they are amassing resources and military might approaching that of the empires, but that does not mean the empires are going to just shrivel up and die.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #64 on: 29 Apr 2013, 14:37 »

Losing grip does not mean lost completely. People are jumping to the extreme. Capsuleers do represent a grave threat to the empires, as they are amassing resources and military might approaching that of the empires, but that does not mean the empires are going to just shrivel up and die.

Agreed. Even if CCP is planning a story of "ascension" in which a very few ascend to near-godhood on the backs of the many, bringing a crushing age of tyranny and darkness to New Eden, it is a tale that will not reach its bitter conclusion until long after the game has finally been discontinued.

A few hundred years, say.

At which point, even if the game is still around, I probably won't be.

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal
« Reply #65 on: 29 Apr 2013, 15:33 »

Agreed. Even if CCP is planning a story of "ascension" in which a very few ascend to near-godhood on the backs of the many, bringing a crushing age of tyranny and darkness to New Eden, it is a tale that will not reach its bitter conclusion until long after the game has finally been discontinued.

A few hundred years, say.

At which point, even if the game is still around, I probably won't be.

I see hi sec in a time of diminishing npc empire power (with the player led nullsec barbarians on the periphery) as being similar to the scenario described in Asimovs Foundation series. We as players are in a role with privileged insight and perception of the break up and fading out of imperial power but these things will take generations. In the Foundation books the average citizen of the galactic core had no idea the empire was a rotting corpse for hundreds of years while generals and warlords fought increasingly desperate campaigns on the frontiers. When it all came down might be analogous to concord shutting off their conflict limiters and all hispec becoming nullsec and the barbarians eating the corpse of the throneworlds , but that wouldn't ever actually happen within the lifespan of the game for obvious reasons.

In fact in the shorter term I could see nullsec being allowed to expand outwards in new space while the static controlled current nullsec might eventually go,to low or hisec with the payoff being player alliances getting a cut of all transactions and taxes. Thus effectively becoming proper empires themselves.

Anyway, doom and gloom scenarios probably overstated. But CCP do need to grow some balls and introduce proper reasons for nullsec alliances to fight each other in earnest again though. Without huge scale slaughter, devestation, fiscal annihilation and gnashing of teeth there really won't be much of a look in for the little guy.

They could also use an expansion or two to rebuild the alliance system, introduce political and ideological traits (advantages and disadvantages) and systems to differentiate alliances in game mechanics and force the leadership to make actual choice and sacrifices in the interests of a more interesting player led nullsec with actual variety and diversity.

But that's another story.

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #66 on: 29 Apr 2013, 23:34 »

Unfortunately, these good ideas will have to grapple with the inherent realities of gaming/nerd communities; for every aspiring Harbinger of Change and Glory intent of Building the Grand New Paradigm, there are 10,000 well-organized mouthbreathers whose only goals are to find nice things, shit on them until they collapse from the sheer fecal weight, and use the pile of rubble to reach the stars and draw penises on them.

CCP talks a lot of game about giving power to players, but they know better; they spend a LOT more effort trying to protect EVE from them.

tl;dr - Don't hope for nice things. We can't have nice things.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #67 on: 30 Apr 2013, 02:11 »

Rich and detailed world?

Capsuleers a grave threat?

Power comparable to the empires?

Three very common parts of player fiction.

Backstorywise CCP has given very little to the players, the players have pretty much filled in the blanks, through extrapolation, using real life as a reference point, other sci-fi sources and what they dreamed that a sci-fi setting should be.

Very little of what any roleplayer in EVE interacts with, or uses in their roleplay has anything to do with CCP created content. Most of what they use is player created content that only references CCPs material and is very rarely directly based or reliant on it. Most backstories are exactly that, so personalities based on those backstories... you get the picture.

Mainly because of CCPs hardon for retcons.

Capsuleers are not a threat to the empires in any shape of form.

CONCORD dictates completely how they interact with those outside of the capsuleer class.
That is one CONCORDs primary functions.

The power thing?

You have empires that have been taking advantage of the resource rush that has come with space exploration for centuries, for two thousand years in the case of the Empire.
The empires have colonized planets, built the infrastructures that exploit the capsuleers, they have populations in the trillions and what do capsuleers have?

Supercaps, space stations and POSes.

Which are all manned by the people recruited from the populations of the empires.

Try to fly your titan against the empires when your flight crew tells you to fuck off.
Try to use your POS without crew on your mining ship or the POS.
Same goes for your space stations.

Capsuleers have no loyalty of, or power over baseliners, which make everything that they use work.

Sure, your current crews might stick around during your uprising, but you would have no way to get new crew, without the infrastructure that the empires have to train and educate them.

I really need to eat my brekkies before reading these forums.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Aelisha Montenagre

« Reply #68 on: 30 Apr 2013, 02:14 »

Pretty much 100% sure that Graelyn's scatographic (I know, not a real word) overview is correct here.  Lore wise, i reckon we'll be seeing a 'reaching outwards, upwards and downwards, element with the reverentially mentioned 'system discovery' stuff and gate building.  Why sack Rome when you have your own new frontiers to explore and open up? 

The first decade has been the birthing pains of the capsuleer 'race' as a mass proliferated entity, with all of the loyalties present in our decisions, be they malign or benevolent.  The next decade?  Personally I expect the next ten years to be the equivalent of the 'troubled childhood' of the capsuleers.  We're going to scrape a few knees and scare the crap out of our 'parents' (the Empires), especially towards the end of the decade when they realise that if they did their job well, we'll eclipse them in the not too distant future (but that doesn't make them any less important in their own right). 

Decade 1: Declaring we're here and intend to stay

Decade 2: Realising our potential within the game world, with all of the fear, heartbreak and potential benefit that entails

Decade 3: ????

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #69 on: 30 Apr 2013, 08:08 »

Capsuleers are not a threat to the empires in any shape of form.

CONCORD dictates completely how they interact with those outside of the capsuleer class.
That is one CONCORDs primary functions.

The power thing?

You have empires that have been taking advantage of the resource rush that has come with space exploration for centuries, for two thousand years in the case of the Empire.
The empires have colonized planets, built the infrastructures that exploit the capsuleers, they have populations in the trillions and what do capsuleers have?

Supercaps, space stations and POSes.

Which are all manned by the people recruited from the populations of the empires.

Try to fly your titan against the empires when your flight crew tells you to fuck off.
Try to use your POS without crew on your mining ship or the POS.
Same goes for your space stations.

Capsuleers have no loyalty of, or power over baseliners, which make everything that they use work.

Sure, your current crews might stick around during your uprising, but you would have no way to get new crew, without the infrastructure that the empires have to train and educate them.

I really need to eat my brekkies before reading these forums.

This is an argument for the ages and it really isn't new even if the trailer sort of brings it back to the fore again. I continue to disagree with Lallara's vision, which is ultimately based on what Lal wants for the game and not on what the game is actually telling him/us. Sorry dude, but that's how it is!

You say "capsuleers are not a threat to the empires in any shape of form"? Well, CCP has been saying the contrary for a long time and they are saying it again. If it hasn't become axiomatic then it should now as it is being reiterated into a defining vision for Eve development.

We can certainly talk about how much that is reflected in game, sure. Or "how much of a threat" in in-game terms. We'll end up talking a lot about what specific mechanics are there simply to facilitate gameplay on an OOC level and what are truly supposed to be representative of the setting. That's possibly an interesting discussion (but a ultimately a digression) and something that has been going on from the beginning, as well.

I also pretty much agree with Jade said here:

I see hi sec in a time of diminishing npc empire power (with the player led nullsec barbarians on the periphery) as being similar to the scenario described in Asimovs Foundation series. We as players are in a role with privileged insight and perception of the break up and fading out of imperial power but these things will take generations. In the Foundation books the average citizen of the galactic core had no idea the empire was a rotting corpse for hundreds of years while generals and warlords fought increasingly desperate campaigns on the frontiers. When it all came down might be analogous to concord shutting off their conflict limiters and all hispec becoming nullsec and the barbarians eating the corpse of the throneworlds , but that wouldn't ever actually happen within the lifespan of the game for obvious reasons.

I think that's pretty spot on.

However, speaking of my game experience, I never met an empire that could keep me down. Sure, I can't topple them or even unseat their sovereignty from a system, but I can keep doing my business without them really being a factor. I can run amok at will in at least low-security space. Capsuleer power is certainly not limitless, but it is vast. And it is growing. They have a great capacity for independent existence. All this certainly amounts to them being a threat.

Also, who says my ship crews have to come from the empires? They could come from 0.0 colonies. Neither do I subscribe to the idea that the empires could pull my plug and restrict me out of doing anything in game. I could be -10 with all empires and still keep on truckin' to a large extent.

But ultimately it comes down to Lallara's vision for Eve being different from mine. I'm just saying that Lal isn't listening to what CCP is saying.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #70 on: 30 Apr 2013, 11:21 »

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #71 on: 01 May 2013, 12:26 »

It's probably the same thing as affects every other synthetic setting - fantasy settings, sci fi with/without aliens, etc.

developers write a few things about stuff, forming what looks like a solid wall.

Then thousands of nerds shove their brains into the cracks, and lever it all apart.
\o/

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #72 on: 02 May 2013, 02:36 »

Something I missed earlier - the grumpy Caldari guy has the Jita monument on the viewscreen behind him.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #73 on: 02 May 2013, 03:58 »

Something I missed earlier - the grumpy Caldari guy has the Jita monument on the viewscreen behind him.

Saw it instantly, helped ID the grumpy State dude as grumpy State dude in Jita 4-4.

You know, in case it wasn't clear who he was supposed to be beholden to.

Sakura Nihil

• Egger
  • Glory
« Reply #74 on: 02 May 2013, 16:29 »

Saw this while I was at Fanfest, cracked the fuck up.

Caldari Commander is not amused! :P
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6