Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that the Solteur-class titans are not the same as the Erebus-class titans piloted by Capsuleers?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Disposition of your baseliner 'troops'  (Read 2526 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Disposition of your baseliner 'troops'
« on: 02 Feb 2013, 16:11 »

I had some fun world building with Adrith last year; we had a lot of fun discussion about various baseliner 'troops' working for our respective factions.   

Aldrith had done a lot of cool background work regarding his Cadre of Cyberknights and support personnel, and we had some fun stories with him doing a pretty extensive planetside raid and basically "putting to the sword" a whole bunch of Silas' cultists, brothels, and narcotics manufacturing plants.

'Twas good stuff, Amarr Victor and all that :P

Anyway I'd really love to hear about you all and your fightin' baseliners.  Some of you that aren't combat oriented might not have too much of that, maybe just a security crew on your ship, but let's hear all about it :)  The rest of you that are doing more 'fighting' what are you working with?   Do you hire mercs for your dirty work? Do you have a standing corporate 'security force' for defense, etc? 

Let's hear it!

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
Re: Disposition of your baseliner 'troops'
« Reply #1 on: 02 Feb 2013, 17:37 »

Perhaps fuse the baseliner threads together in a general 'how do you handle your non-Capsuleer personnel' thread?
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Lyn Farel

« Reply #2 on: 02 Feb 2013, 19:22 »

That Cyber Knight raid on Silas holdings was quite nice. It was enriching.

On my side I have never really tried to be very accurate on how my character handles baseliner employees. Especially when it comes to the military type. The only clear cut NPC character I got is a discreet Kameira body guard that do not appear or get mentionned very often...

Also, Lyn has no security crew on her ships. Any security crew can be defeated. She doesn't really care. She is immortal. Maybe someday she will get sabotaged, though, who knows, and she might come to change her mind about that. Anyway, good luck for anyone to pass through all the security between the station interior and the ship or her quarters.

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #3 on: 02 Feb 2013, 19:41 »

Katla maintains a company of some 200 marines, some of whom are ex-SARO (basically CONCORD marines, for those who don't know), though there are less of those now than there used to be. They are highly specialized in search-and-rescue missions, because their primary function is to extract survivors from outlaw ships and structures which are wrecked during agent missions. They are very selective about who they rescue - children and teenagers, predominantly, who are then funneled through the backdoors of the legal system until they end up as wards of Astropolitan Front, and are enrolled in the crew training program I mentioned in the other thread.

Because of their specialty, the company has been named "The Flower Pickers".
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Sakura Nihil

• Egger
  • Glory
« Reply #4 on: 02 Feb 2013, 21:12 »

I haven't really touched this issue yet... but I if were to sit down and think about it for awhile, it's likely that apart from ship crews, my characters would have negligible "troops", so to speak.

After all, they're not conquering territory or storming other ships, and the Nihils (Sak in particular) are likely to try and not make themselves targets rather than having a bodyguard or security detail.  I.e., keeping as low a profile as possible, staying away from very crowded places, just basically keeping their guard up and keeping out of bad situations.

Especially since the larger the force is, the more likely that one of them will betray you at a critical moment.  The fewer, the better, and all that.

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette
« Reply #5 on: 02 Feb 2013, 22:03 »

After being advised to hire one by another Capsuleer (and left for her paranoia to run away with the possible results of not having one for a while), Gwen has started maintaining a small security force of about 30 people at whatever station she's currently staying in. Most are paticularly skilled Ishukone Watch veterans that she picked up through her family contacts in the corporation, though I picture her not being too strict about it. She probably doesn't have them doing anything more then just guard her quarters, or follow her around when she's out and about.

...Like her crew, she probably tries her best to pretend they don't exist, for the same reasons.

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
« Reply #6 on: 03 Feb 2013, 00:12 »

Seph doesn't have regular soldiers of his own. His war is in space and he doesn't board ships, so he needs them not and so he never hired any.

Gesakaarin

« Reply #7 on: 03 Feb 2013, 01:14 »

Veikitamo has a coterie of five Achuran women she hired from an Intelligence unit of the Peace and Order Unit when she transferred to work in a Sukuuvestaa "Mergers & Acquisitions" firm. They conduct close personal protection in addition to assisting in managing her personal networks, information brokering, off-shore financial interests, and conducting the tasks of extortion and blackmail when required.

They were significant in explaining some of Veikitamo's rise to greater positions of authority in her firm in SuVee, especially when the people directly above her seemed to meet with accidents or committed suicide from the stress of their positions, but I haven't really focused much on what her Achuran mavens are doing these days.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 03 Feb 2013, 06:40 »

The Mithra family offers security and military services of quite diverse nature. Most of them are involved in the Imperial Navy on behalf of the Sarumite liege lords of the family.

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing
« Reply #9 on: 03 Feb 2013, 06:52 »

The armed forces of Kaztropol are diverse, as they are arranged along feudal lines. Each vassal is expected to raise a levy of troops when necessary.
They are generally arranged in a fairly informal manner, although some attempts at standardisation have been made, in a bid to reduce the inevitable squabbling over precedence amongst commanders.
Motorised formations tend to be more standardised, due to the more uniform characteristics of the vehicles.

In general, the organisation is along the lines of:
Up to ~12 in a Squad, commanded by a Sergeant.
A group of up to ~4 Squads form a Platoon, with a Lieutenant.
A group of 2+ Platoons to form a Company, with their Captain.
2+ Companies to form a Battalion, with a Major.
2+ Battalions form a Regiment, with a Colonel.
The Lieutenants and some Captains are usually minor nobles, though there are some commoners who have achieved the rank through righteous service. The higher officers are more important members of the nobility, although there are always arguments over who outranks who. It has been known for a vassal to create formations of minimum size, and appoint themselves a Colonel, despite being in command of fewer troops overall than a Major from a different vassal.
Other ranks within the formations are a matter for the relevant commanders, e.g. a soldier in a squad may be called a Rifleman, a Trooper, a Gunner, or any other title, depending on the whims of their superior.

The Order of the Scarlet Wombat is a knightly order, consisting of some of the most pious and righteous inhabitants, both men and women, who have sworn to uphold standards of Righteous Behaviour in Kaztropol, and to defend the population against interior and exterior threats.
A substantial proportion are currently engaged on the 3rd Kaztropolitan Holy War against the Savage Wombats of the Remote Eastern Wilderness.

The titles of the Order of the Scarlet Wombat are variable, depending on their current duties. There are some permanent titles, there are Masters of the Order, including one Grand Master.
The Masters have specific duties. There is one Master for the North, one for the South, one for the City of Kaztropolis, one for Foreign Expeditions. The Grand Master is chosen from the current Masters, through drawing of straws.
Individual Knights and groups of Knights of the Order are sent on tasks called Errands, Quests, or Crusades, depending on the wishes of the Marshal that dispatched them. This gives them the temporary title of Knight-Errant, Knight-Questor, or Knight-Crusader. The senior in a group may be called Knight-Commander, for the duration of the task.
The Explanatory Leaflet is a Leaflet that Explains.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #10 on: 03 Feb 2013, 07:12 »

On those rare occasions my character needed professional person-violencers, he hired them on the spot.

It rarely turned out well.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #11 on: 16 Apr 2013, 12:40 »

This bump is for Aldrith to share his cyberknights lore :P 

Order of the Weeping Sun fo life, yo.

I'm working on a few things also.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #12 on: 16 Apr 2013, 13:51 »

Pieter maintains Marines as part of his ship crews - useful for securing POWs recovered from space and so forth.

In addition he currently has a FleetMarDet and a combat logistics platoon deployed to an undisclosed location.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #13 on: 16 Apr 2013, 15:49 »

There are three basic levels of troops that Katrina makes use of.

Both Ishuk-Raata and RDC maintain their own paramilitary security forces, usually commanded by former Ishukone Watch members and comprised of mercenaries. These troops have more in common with Blackwater USA than any formal military. They tend to be loud, rude, and use force more often than necessary. However they get the job done often enough, even if they cause a mess of collateral damage and lawsuits from Federation civilians. Katrina makes use of them where using her own forces is not desired or needed. There is no current agreed upon visual look for these staff, so depictions may vary from player to player.

She also personally pays her own shipboard marines. Like her crews, these answer only to her, and are typically better trained but less heavily equipped than I-RED or RDC personnel.  For these basic marines, they tend to dress in all black SWAT type uniforms. Lightweight, making use of future versions of kevlar and ballistic plastics. They look very much like the Colonial Marines from the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica.

They specialize in close quarters fighting (such as within ship corridors or stations). They are ineffective in more open environments where higher caliber weapons and explosives can be employed. They are completely ineffective against the new DUST clone troops. Their armor can slow most small arms weapons to a non-lethal velocity, but a solid hit will still take them down. They are primarily armed with specially made shotguns or projectile rifles, the latter firing 'soft' bullets designed to flatten on impact so as not to penetrate bulkheads. They also do not carry high explosive grenades. Only flash-bang and smoke. All of their equipment is designed for use on ships, where a stray armor piercing bullet or explosion can vent atmosphere into space.

Aside from these two types of troops, Katrina also maintains a personal bodyguard. Each are named and protected with plot-armor, meaning I don't allow other players to kill them. They typically guard Katrina's home estate, and Katrina herself. More info on each is available by viewing my Backstage profile. Click my signature.
« Last Edit: 16 Apr 2013, 15:58 by Katrina Oniseki »

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #14 on: 16 Apr 2013, 16:57 »

:D Awesome post Silas!

Alright, so, back when I was doing the whole thing with KotMC and my alt's cyber knighthood merging, I worked out a pretty extensive background for Ger'Ante Otheiran's cyber knights called the Order of the Weeping Sun. Never really came out on paper, but this is as good a time as any to write it down.

It's an 250-man strong independent order that can trace its history back to the Udorian Conquests and the first Khanid who joined with the Empire. They have about an equal number of squires (trainees) at any one time who act as support staff. All matters of logistics, supply, weapon manufacturing and maintenence is handled internally, ensuring that they are not tied to any other outside forces that might affect their decision-making or come to harm should the Order come under attack.

Their traditional weapon is an ancient and obscure creation commonly called the Beam Halberd; a heavy laser rifle imbedded into a traditonal Khanid long-shafted polearm. However, for the last 1,500 years the Order has allowed all manner of more modern weapons systems to be used by its members, though many members still train exclusively in the use of the halberds.

Their heraldry consists of a deep red-orange sun-and-teardrop symbol upon a field of black. They commonly wear cream-colored tunics and robes bearing their symbol when not dressed for war. In the field their armor is black with red or red-orange trimmings with some blues and golds also occasionally apprearing in details.

The Weeping Suns are based exclusively on Khitaled IV, though they originated on Athra and have historically travelled throughout the Empire and taken part in many Crusades during their long history. They are know for a harsh, unforgiving demeanor towards both enemies and allies and have exacting demands when it comes to dicipline, honor and conduct in battle. They are both morally irreproachable and absolutely ruthless towards those who do not live up to their standards, even going so far as turning against supposed allies when they do not behave in a way they consider befitting their codes of honor.

More to come later perhaps.
Pages: [1] 2