Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mind Clash is a hugely popular sport throughout the cluster, and is centered on the willpower of two opponents? Read more here!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Villains with or without mustaches ...  (Read 3385 times)

Gesakaarin

Villains with or without mustaches ...
« on: 02 Mar 2013, 05:15 »

I think it needs to be clear to Caldari RPers that we should not be expecting positive outcomes for our faction. It may happen, but prior history and current story suggests that we have been and will continue to be the designated villain, continuing to perform standard villainous actions for the benefit of the heroes of the setting. I'm not trying to be negative, so much as I want to caution against enthusiasm. Even if we somehow get rid of Heth, our faction is not going to be portrayed positively, and the most we can hope for by our actions in FW is to constrain CCP from a litany of continual defeats in the news, due to incongruity with in-space actions.

I don't think there's anything wrong with being the villains of a story (truth be told, there's got be something that needs to be said in having the innate initiative of antagonists) so long as it doesn't descend into some sort of caricature or vaudeville, "Put the damsels on the railroad tracks!" I'm not sure if current events have actually reached that point, even with Heth in the picture it's very interesting because in my own experience at least it has lead to my own character questioning themselves and trying to figure out where their loyalties lie. They're not easy questions to ask nor are they easy answers to find.

In the end though, what should I care for the opinions of the Caldari held by others? I'm having fun, I'm enjoying it, that's all that matters to me.
« Last Edit: 02 Mar 2013, 08:43 by Ciarente »

Lyn Farel

Re: Re: Caldari Arc
« Reply #1 on: 02 Mar 2013, 07:13 »

They all say that their favorite faction is somehow stomped upon by CCP.

Amarrians complaining that nobody love them, and looking like retarded fools times and times again, or not very happy about space lesbian empresses.

Minmatar complaining that they have no PF/lore and that they have been abandonned by CCP for eons with no government.

Gallente complaining that they look like lethargic oysters in most events, taking hits and never giving them back.

Caldari complaining about Heth, or whatever.

For now on Caldari are the faction with the most dramatic events happening. Probably a way to get rid of Heth in itself, which can explain why.

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
Re: Villains with or without mustaches ...
« Reply #2 on: 02 Mar 2013, 08:43 »

[mod]Topic split to move discussion of general factional portrayal out of the specifically Caldari arc thread. [/mod]
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #3 on: 02 Mar 2013, 16:56 »

In the end though, what should I care for the opinions of the Caldari held by others? I'm having fun, I'm enjoying it, that's all that matters to me.

I think that's the crux of why it doesn't bother you, and why it bothers other people. You may be okay with your faction being portrayed in a consistently negative light, but others aren't.

Matoko

• Wetgraver
« Reply #4 on: 02 Mar 2013, 17:44 »

Not really a Caldari RPer, so take my input with a hefty grain of salt.

I think there's potential. Unless CCP is completely inept and lacking forethought, all of this buildup is for Heth to get kicked out of office. Even his own Mega is starting to turn on him. At least, the rank and file are. This is especially disastrous for a person who's whole thing was that he used to be one of the common man, that he was in touch with everyone down to the simple line workers.

I'd hazard a guess that one of two things are going to come of this. One, the Caldari kick off a small civil war; one side either siding with Heth and the Provist movements or planning to use him as a figurehead, the other opposed to his heavy-handed and absolutist approach. Or two, Heth is disposed of, and the Caldari start trying to sort out the mess he left them.

Well... Potentially three, if they pull that Tea Maker Ceremony thing again. That whole scenario just seems incredibly suspect to me though; I personally would decline, even with the implied reputation penalty. But then again, I don't play a whole lot of Caldari, so I am admittedly outside of that viewpoint.

In the two previous cases, however, I'm not sure the Caldari have to worry a great deal about the Federation. They seem to be busy trying not to turn into a police state.

Gesakaarin

« Reply #5 on: 02 Mar 2013, 20:02 »

I think that's the crux of why it doesn't bother you, and why it bothers other people. You may be okay with your faction being portrayed in a consistently negative light, but others aren't.

I tend to agree with Lyn on the point that people can tend to complain that CCP hates their faction. What I would add is that without realizing that each and every faction has to have their negative aspects and ways in which they are imperfect otherwise it wouldn't be Eve and there would not be any points of conflict.

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
Re: Re: Caldari Arc
« Reply #6 on: 02 Mar 2013, 23:55 »

They all say that their favorite faction is somehow stomped upon by CCP.

Amarrians complaining that nobody love them, and looking like retarded fools times and times again, or not very happy about space lesbian empresses.

Minmatar complaining that they have no PF/lore and that they have been abandonned by CCP for eons with no government.

Gallente complaining that they look like lethargic oysters in most events, taking hits and never giving them back.

Caldari complaining about Heth, or whatever.

For now on Caldari are the faction with the most dramatic events happening. Probably a way to get rid of Heth in itself, which can explain why.

+1000

Lyn Farel

« Reply #7 on: 03 Mar 2013, 04:36 »

Hell, seriously, if there is a faction that players could complain above, it's that damn Ammatar Mandate. I am not even sure to recall a single positive thing that happened here.

Ah, maybe one, and it was called "Plantation"....

And you know what ? I don't care that much.

I care a little more though since they have put Ardishapur on command, which leaves them even more clueless, harmless, lethargic, than ever, just obeying blindly and been even more unsignificant they already are. Their navy is crappy. Their schools are crappy, even most of their corps are described as average, at best. They always need the help of their amarrians master to do anything and defend themselves (or Caldari megas). Their only redeeming feature is that they are probably the most faithful of all the peoples in the Amarr bloc (because hell you need a lot of faith to follow the bloc like that, espcially after the Elder attack). And the worst of all, the way they are pictured is not even as proper "villains", but as proper vegetables.

Otherwise, I would really like to see a new Tea Maker Ceremony in the news. That could be quite epic.
« Last Edit: 03 Mar 2013, 04:39 by Lyn Farel »

Publius Valerius

« Reply #8 on: 03 Mar 2013, 04:56 »

Hell, seriously, if there is a faction that players could complain above, it's that damn Ammatar Mandate.
It is the faith of the minor factions. I have always keep my head up by saying: Lyn and other Mandate RPlers have it worse than me  :P.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 Mar 2013, 10:35 »

Hell, seriously, if there is a faction that players could complain above, it's that damn Ammatar Mandate.
It is the faith of the minor factions. I have always keep my head up by saying: Lyn and other Mandate RPlers have it worse than me  :P.

I hear ya. It would be nice if the Mandate & Kingdom could have their own capsuleer schools. Or at least have it so people can choose to set up a Minmatar ethnic character who is from the Empire and has been trained at an Imperial school in Imperial doctrine. Or, for that matter, a Minmatar raised in the Federation and trained there.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #10 on: 03 Mar 2013, 10:45 »

I hear ya. It would be nice if the Mandate & Kingdom could have their own capsuleer schools. Or at least have it so people can choose to set up a Minmatar ethnic character who is from the Empire and has been trained at an Imperial school in Imperial doctrine. Or, for that matter, a Minmatar raised in the Federation and trained there.

This please. Would make it so much easier to play ethnic minorities.

You should be able to roll Imperial Minmatar, Federation Caldari, Minmatar, Amarr, Ni-Kunni, and Achura, and State Gallente, Intaki, and Khanid. Republic on the other hand should get all the other tribes.

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
« Reply #11 on: 03 Mar 2013, 11:37 »

And Udorians!

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #12 on: 03 Mar 2013, 19:17 »

Lyn is exactly right.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 03 Mar 2013, 21:52 »

A lot of us (Vikarion, Hamish, myself) have fought and in some ways continue to fight the portrayal of Caldari as jackbooted thugs.

But it is incredibly discouraging to just keep running uphill.

I have never attempted to portray Dex as an evil man.  But he isn't interested in pursuing "win-win" solutions with competitors he simply does not trust, especially if it is more effort.

Gesakaarin

« Reply #14 on: 04 Mar 2013, 03:11 »

A lot of us (Vikarion, Hamish, myself) have fought and in some ways continue to fight the portrayal of Caldari as jackbooted thugs.

But it is incredibly discouraging to just keep running uphill.

Every faction suffers from certain negative stereotypes because it's always been a human thing to form them in the first place. In the end though, I've just never understood this need to have others hold a positive opinion on a faction when to me it doesn't really matter. Differences of perspective and opinion doesn't detract from RP in anyway to me in fact it adds to it by permitting the same sorts of complexities prevalent in reality.
Pages: [1] 2 3