Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Egonics inc. makes a headset called an Egone that broadcasts music directly into a wearer's brain?

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Language and The Community  (Read 10041 times)

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
Re: Language and The Community
« Reply #90 on: 05 Jun 2013, 09:29 »

There is no slur against the swedish among the Nordic, but we all know they are a tad odd. :D

Fun or sad fact: In Scandinavia, different countries have different ways of speaking down towards other Scandinavians.

For instance, in Norway the word "Svenske." is basically just the Norwegian version of "Swede" - however for all the people that use the term for what it is, there are some who would use it in a negative way - transforming the word into a slur against swedes, on the basis that being swedes, no other word will suffice to degrade them. I'm confident this holds true for other members as well.

The reason I don't consider this to be to big a problem ofc is it's relatively low usage in this manner. Most Norwegians and Swedes get along just fine, but on occasion you get those that don't. Still, from what I've experienced "Søta bror" is the most common opinion on the matter.

Regardless, the point I'm making here is that you can also get widely different meanings out of words based on how you phrase them or the tone utilized. It's harder to do in text-based messages, but that's where attention to detail can help you. "Hello Stitcher. Is there something you want?" VS "Hello Caldari. Was there something you wanted?"

Works for names too, ofc.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #91 on: 05 Jun 2013, 14:22 »

There is no slur against the swedish among the Nordic, but we all know they are a tad odd. :D

I would really like to think this is sarcasm and/or you are being facetious.

But just in case The Community proves it's uniqueness again, I would like to point out that, yes, yes there are many slurs against the swedes. In Finnish alone there are several.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #92 on: 05 Jun 2013, 14:33 »

The Finnish people aren't Nordic peoples, though. ;P
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]