Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Saxon Hawke's son Ravi died in a drug-related hovercar crash that had connections to the Serpentis "Aenebra" cult? Read more about it here

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Entire community is babies!  (Read 7313 times)

Kaleigh Doyle

Re: Entire community is babies!
« Reply #30 on: 17 Mar 2011, 15:26 »

I had a friend that justified their two year absence by having a child. It's a nice plot mechanism when employed properly.

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #31 on: 18 Mar 2011, 08:20 »

So find a way to rationalize the fact that every time she undocks, she risks losing the child. And make sure it’s a good enough rationalization that it’ll still hold up if she actually does end up hitting a smartbomb camp, like… shoot, which dame alt was it? Hit a smartbomb camp, got podded, responded by saying it was the will of the red god and going and getting pregnant again.

Or, you know, figure that it’ll give you a lovely excuse to RP being utterly and completely heartbroken in the event that something bad happens, maybe throw in a little psychosis, blame her child’s death on her devotion to the empire and join the blooders, whatever.

Of course she knows there is a risk, but duty to God and Empire trumps all.  There is such a small number of capsuleers dedicated to defending the Empire, she sees it as an unforgivable sin to sit out on the sidelines for so long.  She is totally baffled by the lack of support of her fellow loyalists.

The purpose of her pregnancy was not to supply a device for drama, but in the end to reinforce Aldy and Mit being a 'normal married couple', as much as capsuleers can be anyway.  Had I known it was going to turn into such a sticking point, I may have reconsidered.  As it stands though, it gives me an opportunity to show what I think the dedication and sacrifice a loyal, faithful, capsuleer must show.

If something goes south, of course it will be painful for her, but she will continue on.  The chance of Mitty going Blooder is nil.
« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2011, 08:22 by Mitara Newelle »
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Orthic

• Wetgraver
« Reply #32 on: 18 Mar 2011, 09:08 »

Of course she knows there is a risk, but duty to God and Empire trumps all.  There is such a small number of capsuleers dedicated to defending the Empire, she sees it as an unforgivable sin to sit out on the sidelines for so long.  She is totally baffled by the lack of support of her fellow loyalists.

The purpose of her pregnancy was not to supply a device for drama, but in the end to reinforce Aldy and Mit being a 'normal married couple', as much as capsuleers can be anyway.  Had I known it was going to turn into such a sticking point, I may have reconsidered.  As it stands though, it gives me an opportunity to show what I think the dedication and sacrifice a loyal, faithful, capsuleer must show.

If something goes south, of course it will be painful for her, but she will continue on.  The chance of Mitty going Blooder is nil.
Then I don’t see an issue, so long as she’s comfortable with the risk she’s taking. I suppose capsuleers that are in frequent combat are used to seeing their crews die frequently, etc.
As for joining the blooders, that was just another random idea, I tend to have those a lot :)

Invelious

• Reshjvajarr Man
  • Omelette
  • Plays the Roll
« Reply #33 on: 18 Mar 2011, 09:12 »

Couldnt you just jump clone to a unprego clone and let the other sit safely in high sec while the med bay keeps the body healthy and the baby?

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #34 on: 18 Mar 2011, 09:18 »

There was an extremely entertaining culture-clash RP between Seriphyn and Alica Wildfire in the Last Gate over a year ago. Seriphyn was absolutely bollocking Alica for being pregnant and still fighting for the TLF, whereas she was adamant that the people of Minmatar came first, not her own body or child.

This may be a Western thing, or political-correctness. Let's take Libya; mothers are blessing their grown, male children as they go to fight in the rebels. Reluctantly, of course, they don't want any harm to come to their child, but they know the "bigger picture".

If that happened in the UK? The mothers would be incensed, because this whole thing of "no harm" to come to you. "No, no! Absolutely not! You cannot fight to remove the tyrannical regime that's killing hundreds of our people. What happens if you DIE or get INJURED?"

In this sense, and there are hints in PF about Gallente obsession with health, safety and security, I feel, that being bollocked for doing what Mitara is doing is a thoroughly Gallente/Western thing. Individualistic and self-absorbed. If there is a omnipotent being in the picture, then the baby is really secondary to that. Yeah, God doesn't exist apparently  :P but to Amarrians, the concept of God is a very real and present thing.

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #35 on: 18 Mar 2011, 09:43 »

Couldnt you just jump clone to a unprego clone and let the other sit safely in high sec while the med bay keeps the body healthy and the baby?

She could yes, but she is also a woman who wants the experience of becoming a mother, and it's her responsibility to her husband and child to be as good a mother as she can.  This duty is the lesser to that of the Empire, but it's still there.  Tubing or somehow surrogating the pregnancy is something the Caldari would do, those godless ISK seekers  ;)

Seriphyn nailed it I think.
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #36 on: 18 Mar 2011, 10:14 »

Seri, with respect, I think that your statement about mothers and grown children might need additional historical context. Mothers frequently don't want to see their sons go to war, but tearfully support it when the threat is large enough. I don't doubt that some mums cried before Normandy or Hastings, but accepted and blessed what they felt needed to happen.

Exceptions will exist, of course, but I don't know whether the terms "conscientious objector" and "nonviolent movement" exist in the Amarr Empire.

Invelious

• Reshjvajarr Man
  • Omelette
  • Plays the Roll
« Reply #37 on: 18 Mar 2011, 11:02 »

She could yes, but she is also a woman who wants the experience of becoming a mother, and it's her responsibility to her husband and child to be as good a mother as she can.  This duty is the lesser to that of the Empire, but it's still there.  Tubing or somehow surrogating the pregnancy is something the Caldari would do, those godless ISK seekers  ;)

Thats one way of perceiving it. Another would be your fullfilling Gods will without needlessly sacrificing one of his future children. Jump clone technology will allow you to jump back into the prego corpse when your not fighting to experience all the wonders of pregnacy.

Your baby will still experience it's mothers heart beat and breathing. You can create prerecorded conversations that can play to allow the child to famaliarize itself with your voice.

Also, despite you being a capsuleer, you are loyal to Amarr, and im confident, 100%, that Amarr Navy doesnt send it's prego women into the front lines.

Orthic

• Wetgraver
« Reply #38 on: 18 Mar 2011, 11:31 »

So I’m going to preface this by saying that OOC I really don’t care one way or the other, it’s RP, have fun, go nuts, do stupid irrational shit – lord knows my characters do so a regular basis.

That said, I can’t pass up actual, logical and thoughtful debate of an interesting dilemma. My take at the moment: In her efforts to ‘be the best mother she can,’ Mitara is risking not becoming a mother at all.

There are ways, as Invel pointed out, to do a fine job for the child without risking its life. You’ve already concluded that service to Amarr > protecting life of child, but we’ve found a way around that one. That leaves the desire to be a good mother, and to experience motherhood to its fullest. Being a good mother and unnecessarily risking the child’s life on a daily basis seems contradictory in light of the alternatives.

That leaves Mitara risking her child’s life just so that she can experience being pregnant. Were I someone who cared for the child’s life IC ( like maybe the father), yeah, I’d be jumping down her throat. Fortunately, I’m not, so I’ll leave that to Aldy.

Again, it’s just RP, have fun.

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #39 on: 18 Mar 2011, 14:18 »

If she were only to patrol once in a while, I'd agree, Jump Cloning would be an option.  However, Mitty is out there pretty much every night, 24 hour cool down on JCing kills that idea.

Invelious

• Reshjvajarr Man
  • Omelette
  • Plays the Roll
« Reply #40 on: 18 Mar 2011, 14:27 »

If she were only to patrol once in a while, I'd agree, Jump Cloning would be an option.  However, Mitty is out there pretty much every night, 24 hour cool down on JCing kills that idea.

Im going to remove that child from your womb and save it.

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #41 on: 18 Mar 2011, 14:41 »

Im going to remove that child from your womb and save it.
You'll have to beat Math'ra to it....
* Mitara Newelle loads the pulsar shotgun

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #42 on: 18 Mar 2011, 14:44 »

Just because it's funny:

(3:43:21 PM) Mitara Newelle: what in the world is amarr coming to ??
(3:43:35 PM) Mitara Newelle: bunch of pansy baby thieves.

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #44 on: 18 Mar 2011, 16:47 »

it's her responsibility to her husband and child to be as good a mother as she can.

Play your toon how you want, but If my wife tried to expose my child to that kind of danger needlessly I wouldn't consider her a good mother to my child.

BIRTH DEFECTS DUE TO RADIATION

This can be disturbing. 

[spoiler]
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_bf_PG4SAYfU/R8tcrQvMUFI/AAAAAAAAEOo/3T-hqIrC5ew/s1600-h/1.jpg

http://www.uruknet.biz/pic.php?f=du-baby20.jpeg[/spoiler]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4