Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Blood Raider recruits are trained in close-quarters combat before tactics and starship combat? (The Burning Life, p. 54)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: War... huh, what is it good for?  (Read 11005 times)

Inara Subaka

• Egger
  • Business Woman
Re: War... huh, what is it good for?
« Reply #60 on: 11 Jan 2011, 18:29 »

i plan EVERYTHING i say or do when it comes to EvE

That doesn't work with this game, and not just when it comes to RP.

I'm not sure I'd agree with this, I personally plan most everything that I do. I just make room in those plans for the top3-4 most likely reactions people will have to my actions. Planning a 'linear' path is... I'd say impossible, but planning for contengencies is very possible (and possibly even necessary).

Also, missiles in someone's face == RP, building/selling on the markets == RP, and /sips == RP.

Note: this post is mostly off topic, just felt like responding to comments being made.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #61 on: 12 Jan 2011, 05:11 »

Oh God... 'linears'. Worst RP invention to have ever been made, then dragged kicking and screaming into MMOs. MMOs quite simply aren't the place for those things. Especially Eve, with it's non-consensual gameplay and thus RP.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #62 on: 12 Jan 2011, 08:53 »

hmm, so when you'd said that the "sani sabik" had asked you to post on IGS in return for that Cruor, then no-one had put you up to it? it was your idea?

that's something anyway. I know there's a few people who would do that sort of thing (compel someone to post on IGS) in order to make them suffer the consequences.

but that's people for you.
\o/

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #63 on: 12 Jan 2011, 10:29 »

i plan EVERYTHING i say or do when it comes to EvE

That doesn't work with this game, and not just when it comes to RP.

I'm not sure I'd agree with this, I personally plan most everything that I do. I just make room in those plans for the top3-4 most likely reactions people will have to my actions. Planning a 'linear' path is... I'd say impossible, but planning for contengencies is very possible (and possibly even necessary).

Also, missiles in someone's face == RP, building/selling on the markets == RP, and /sips == RP.

Note: this post is mostly off topic, just felt like responding to comments being made.

I will second this.

Jesmine was never planned in a linear fasion, but she was 'planned'. I spent a month before making the account working out her general beliefs, methods, desires, some quirks of personality and a basic plan for what I'd like her to do. This I hoped to flex around whatever came my way, making it a path that twisted and turned and sometimes punched straight through obstacles, all for the sake of making it unexpected and fun. If I did not, she would end up another nameless, faceless, silently neglected missioning alt in her starter corp somewhere. No thanks.

So far, It's been alot of fun, and things have transpired mostly as I had predicted, a few things happened that ended up complimenting her character in the end.

So, Stal, building on what others here said about this (assuming you are still reading this) I think the underlying idea is... how was that phrase?

"The Codex is not a law, it's more like guide-lines."

Cheap-ass excuse yeah, but it works mostly like that. Generate a 'plan'. Keep it broad. "This is more-or-less what I'd like to see happen." Then incorporate possible events as you go along, this can be alot of fun in itself.

When next you do something on the IGS or in space or whatever, try to frame it's basic idea and imagine how it might go based on what reactions/consequenses it generates, then add on any possible 'what happens now' type ideas onto that.

"Jesmine is a heavy liberal. Jesmine may be kicked from the empire for being to liberal. Do you want this, yes/no? What would be best? Okay then, she's exiled. She's giving away her lands to a 'better holder' – who would you preffer? Graelyn offered help, nice, he get's it all. Jesmine is forced to leave, for where?"

And so on... not sure it's the best example but you might get where I'm getting at. In short... yeah, that's a good way of putting it.

In short, figure out for yourself what kind of character you would enjoy playing as, what motivates them and so on. And if making 'plans' for the future is your thing and it's supposed to involve or rely on other, other than 'make corp strive to reach X goal solo' then make them dynamic, a little flexible.

Heaven help you if you wish to RP different things, but not 'break' a character to have him changed, then you will need more accounts /o\

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette
« Reply #64 on: 12 Jan 2011, 10:34 »

I did not, obviously, mean to imply you cannot plan things in EVE. Everyone does to some extent. I have some plans I set into action five years ago coming to life now. I have a lot of alternative plans for most game situations I go to that I know of beforehand. If one surprises me, I start to make plans the minute I enter it.

But that does not mean you can plan everything, every word etc. Sometimes you just have to play it by the gut feeling.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
« Reply #65 on: 12 Jan 2011, 11:03 »

And Else managed to say what I wanted to say in far fewer words. Guess it goes with the experience.

So yeah, what Elsebeth said, just for clarity.

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #66 on: 12 Jan 2011, 15:33 »

And Else managed to say what I wanted to say in far fewer words. Guess it goes with the experience.

My money is on talent.

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette
« Reply #67 on: 13 Jan 2011, 07:56 »

You guys make me blush. :D Thanks.

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #68 on: 16 Jan 2011, 00:16 »

I just re-read this thread, which I hadn't looked at since before Backstage went down.

Wait, Bloodbird is Jesmine?

:eek:

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
« Reply #69 on: 16 Jan 2011, 12:24 »

I just re-read this thread, which I hadn't looked at since before Backstage went down.

Wait, Bloodbird is Jesmine?

:eek:

For some reason I imagined that when people figured this out, they would be more "oh well, that explains things" and not so much  :eek: or  :lol: or even <wtf>.

I'm not even sure if this means that I managed to portray a character different form my oldest toon or not.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]