Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that the Society for the Conservation of State Traditions is a fiercly nationalistic Caldari lobbyist organization that unleashed a scathing rebuke of PIE Inc. pilot Kostantin Mort in late YC106.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Gallente politicians on IGS?  (Read 16764 times)

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
Re: Gallente politicians on IGS?
« Reply #75 on: 24 Nov 2010, 19:15 »

It very neatly assess the possibilities of CCP elevating a player to the role of an official Prime Fiction Non-player-character controller.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #76 on: 24 Nov 2010, 19:25 »

It very neatly assess the possibilities of CCP elevating a player to the role of an official Prime Fiction Non-player-character controller.
They hired TonyG didn't they?

Edit: Of course, that didn't turn out perfectly...  :roll:
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2010, 19:28 by Ken »

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #77 on: 24 Nov 2010, 19:25 »

which is to say...that you're a fun ruiner.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Random Lost Soul

« Reply #78 on: 24 Nov 2010, 19:36 »

Which they never will. Unless someone bribes them.
Because forum posts alone do not change the game, nor change the in-game reality.  I could claim to be Kuvakei's long lost daughter's college roommate, it doesn't mean that I'm not or that I am.  Now, if I lead the charge to capture Gallente systems, then make a post crediting the victory to my steadfast belief in my Empire's righteousness...

...then you might get something interesting in the news.  That's the thing; backing up forum posts with in-game actions is far, far more effective than forum posts alone.

It's not something I would personally use against CCP; it's that they have an obligation to deliver a good game, and good support material.  If they followed every thread on IGS and made news items about it all, it would probably overwhelm the fiction team (volunteers and devs) for the foreseeable future.

Make your own path is the general message from CCP, and such has been rewarded in the past (and I'm sure it will be in the future).

Edit:
To further the examples; if these "politicians" held a rally of some sort, or series of rallies, getting the support of the "people"... perhaps then they might get the ISD/Dev wheels turning and get some news.
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2010, 19:38 by Random Lost Soul »

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #79 on: 25 Nov 2010, 02:10 »

Bit agitated about missing my flight due to traffic and the city being blanketed in snow, but is there any need to continue Soter? I mean, NOBODY here agrees with the opposite stance, so why not just forget it and let us have our fun? We're all enjoying ourselves so....it beats the typical igs stuff

Graanvlokkie

« Reply #80 on: 25 Nov 2010, 03:05 »

... I mean, NOBODY here agrees with the opposite stance, so why not just forget it and let us have our fun?

Soter's arguement does have its merits, and I wouldnt go as far as saying that NOBODY agrees with him.

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #81 on: 25 Nov 2010, 03:24 »

So, FINALLY there is something different than the usual e-peen swinging sugar coated as RP or old report about who have shot who in the face and an actual chance to engage in some political and world shaping discussions. But it gets pulled down to the "shoot-in-face" level because that is apparently the only level we are allowed to engage on.

The chances for CCP to hire an official actor to play the role of Gallente politicians for a longer period of time are slim to none, and when somebody who clearly got the skill to take the role shows up we are supposed to slap him down by invalidating the premise the setting is build upon due to crappy in-game mechanics? No thanks. This is the worst case of trying to mod somebody else story setting I have ever witnessed. Because yes, it is just a story, though it is an interactive one.

Ps. Count me as one of those who do NOT agree.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #82 on: 25 Nov 2010, 07:17 »

I think you underestimate CCP's willingness to explore new avenues of RP. But you have to let them do it.

Think of this another way. If someone tried to create a 'chairperson' for Karin Midular's party/tribe in the Minmatar Parliament, I don't think that would've worked out too hot with all the Minnie RP'ers.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #83 on: 25 Nov 2010, 08:51 »

You may be right in that example, but these guys aren't Minmatar politicians, and only you are outspokenly disagreeing with their validity.

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette
« Reply #84 on: 25 Nov 2010, 09:14 »

I think you underestimate CCP's willingness to explore new avenues of RP. But you have to let them do it.

Think of this another way. If someone tried to create a 'chairperson' for Karin Midular's party/tribe in the Minmatar Parliament, I don't think that would've worked out too hot with all the Minnie RP'ers.
No, it wouldn't have. I personally don't like trying to pose yourself as "the government" on IGS, in any form, and so I am quite glad the thread under question is the Feds, not us. That allows me to conveniently ignore their existence and not go pissing in other people's cheerios by publicly demanding proof that they are who they say they are or something else equally boring and unpopular.

Julianus is far from the only one who does not like this sort of things much. I think a lot of people are refraining from both reading the IGS thread and commenting on it OOC, out of trying to avoid saying "YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG". (Saying this much comes uncomfortably close to doing so, for myself.)

(Would have worked even less so because Karin Midular is said chairperson, but that's nitpicking. ;))
« Last Edit: 25 Nov 2010, 09:18 by Elsebeth Rhiannon »

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #85 on: 25 Nov 2010, 09:32 »

So the lesson is, if enough of the 'real' gallente RP'ers decide something is 'true' even though from the outside it appears to be a fraud, then. . . it's real?

Who appointed the 'real' gallente rp'ers?

Random Lost Soul

« Reply #86 on: 25 Nov 2010, 09:46 »

So the lesson is, if enough of the 'real' gallente RP'ers decide something is 'true' even though from the outside it appears to be a fraud, then. . . it's real?
It's RP.  If someone wants to play a politician then what's wrong with that?  I seem to remember a Capsuleer running for the Presidency of the Gallente Federation not too far back.  I forgot who was going to run for the Vice Presidency, which would have been an entirely new position... 

What's the difference between that and this?

Who appointed the 'real' gallente rp'ers?
They appointed themselves when they started RP'ing.  The question is what the heck is "real" RP?  Should said "Real" RP have more of an effect on the game than in-game mechanics and meta-plot considerations?

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #87 on: 25 Nov 2010, 09:47 »

I'd like to comment here, but only briefly.

I created the New Eden Assembly. A lot of RPers here take part. CCP didn't shut us down and claim that we copied CONCORD.

Let everyone have fun. They aren't forcing this down people's throats, just adding. Unless people know exactly what CCP's fiction dept. knows, then live and let live.

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #88 on: 25 Nov 2010, 09:50 »

Everything is different, as far as I recall. The candidates you spoke of ran in a legitimate electoral process. They didn't claim to be the candidates of any major political party. And the Presidential candidate's platform included a constitutional amendment that would have reformed the role of the executive branch of the government, allowing for a secondary role of Vice President to better coordinate the legislative and executive.

None of this involved the intervention of anyone but capsuleers making decisions, speaking out on political issues and topics regarding the future of the Federation.

Now, if for instance we had claimed we were the official candidates of the Social Democrats, then that would have been reprehensible and tarnished our character's credibility/sanity.

Regarding the Assembly, that's quite clearly a perfectly kosher case of Capsuleers and Capsuleer organizations forming a forum to provide a more meaningful place of discourse and diplomacy. It doesn't claim any sort of NPC auspices for its existence, nor does it need to.
« Last Edit: 25 Nov 2010, 09:59 by Julianus Soter »

Random Lost Soul

« Reply #89 on: 25 Nov 2010, 10:01 »

Now, if for instance we had claimed we were the official candidates of the Social Democrats, then that would have been reprehensible and tarnished our character's credibility/sanity.
Actually, there are real-world examples of a political party having problems with "breakaway" groups claiming to represent said parties.  There's been some big examples of this in the U.S. recently.  Yes, they do come off as slightly "fringe", but are they crazy?  Some think so, and say so.  Loudly.  Is that unbelievable?

I just think that if someone wants to RP politicians, let them.  I also believe if you want to call shenanigans ICly, you're perfectly within your rights.  In short, why can't both sides be happy with how things are going, and using it as an opportunity to RP (and hopefully pew-pew in the interests of boosting interstellar mineral exchanges) instead of taking it as a challenge to immersion?

This is politics.  I for one support it.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8