Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That ship crews only perform cleanup, maintenance, and lower-order operations on ships? (The Burning Life p 31)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Arek'jaalan: The analysis  (Read 23187 times)

Cmdr Baxter

• "The Old Man"
  • Egger
    • The Synenose Accord
Re: Arek'jaalan: The ONGOING Verdict
« Reply #45 on: 31 Jul 2011, 01:07 »

The Aurora Ominae: A'Js ethical hot potato or a whole lot of hype from the overcautious?

Controversial conspiracy theories welcome as well as decent theories  :lol:
I think this is less a matter of the superweapon in question, and more a question of the pilot who proposed it. Enough said. :s

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #46 on: 31 Jul 2011, 01:58 »

As my situation with most members of the RP community, I have never had any contact with Myxx before or paid any attention what he has done. But it does raise Myyona's awareness and uncertainty about participation in the project if Dr. Tukoss has been asking about getting access to a weapon of mass destruction with no reason given. Myyona wants to save humanity, not participate in causing its annihilation. The Aurora Oinae is (in her eyes) the worst example of what Sleeper technology can be used for, and if the main goal is to construct more of that she would rather spend her efforts raising the bounty on Dr. Tukoss.

Though, with my OOC knowledge I know that is likely not the case. And I can also see that my "opponents" are little capable of doing 'fictional science' (as Auwnie coined the term) and have to resort to talk about game mechanics (and did I spot a bit of name calling? :P) to argument their case. That is not a level I want to step on.

As there is no point in twisting thumps any further, I will let it drop.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #47 on: 31 Jul 2011, 03:18 »

Arek'jaalan channel: Brackets, Brackets, Brackets, Brackets, Brackets, Brackets!!!  :ugh:

"Theories" pulled out of nowhere.  :ugh:

Theories that outright ignored the background of the thing concerned.  :ugh:

A "Science" project that ignores any form of scientific process.  :ugh:

A superweapon being "researched" by a character who is a paranoid delusionist who hates everyone.  :ugh:
\o/

Cmdr Baxter

• "The Old Man"
  • Egger
    • The Synenose Accord
« Reply #48 on: 31 Jul 2011, 08:29 »

A "Science" project that ignores any form of scientific process.  :ugh:

I hope you didn't seriously think everyone in there was going to adhere to the scientific process. If you did, I'm sorry, but that's more than a little naive. Consider the playerbase you're dealing with here. The majority of them want to do something "cool" and Arek'Jalaan is - for the moment  the coolest thing around. How many of them are real-life scientists, have a scientific background, or want to adhere to something formal that gets in their way? They're here to have fun, not do work or be bound by policies and procedures.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #49 on: 31 Jul 2011, 08:59 »

Not everyone, no.

You'd think the "division heads" would though.
\o/

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #50 on: 31 Jul 2011, 09:24 »

So why not raise the issue IC regarding not doing actual science?

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #51 on: 31 Jul 2011, 09:27 »

So why not raise the issue IC regarding not doing actual science?

someone already has.
\o/

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #52 on: 31 Jul 2011, 09:59 »

I hope you didn't seriously think everyone in there was going to adhere to the scientific process. If you did, I'm sorry, but that's more than a little naive.

There's "adhering to the scientific process", and there's making sense. Too few people seem to do either, unfortunately -- and yeah. That issue's been raised a few times by a few people now.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #53 on: 31 Jul 2011, 11:08 »

The problem will sort itself out soon enough, once the "freeloaders" (in this case, people who are there expecting Hilen/Dropbear/Nick to hand us everything on a silver platter, not understanding that actual time-consuming work needs to be done before any results appear) get bored/frustrated with not getting something for nothing, and leave.

It might take a little while, but what he said at EVE Vegas last night was quite a relief to hear.
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2011, 12:03 by Morwen Lagann »
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Mister Screwball

• Wetgraver
    • http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/7203/eatingevidencez.gif
« Reply #54 on: 31 Jul 2011, 12:02 »

The problem will sort itself out soon enough, once the "freeloaders" (in this case, people who are there expecting Hilen/Dropbear/Nick to hand us everything on a silver platter, no understanding that actual time-consuming work needs to be done before any results appear) and get bored/frustrated with not getting something for nothing, and leave.

It might take a little while, but what he said at EVE Vegas last night was quite a relief to hear.

Honestly I don't think waiting it out for the freeloaders to leave is the best thing to do. I know dozens of people who want to work to make the project work but all the drama that has been created from the channel is driving them away. I for one am geting tired of logging onto dozens of mails from people argueing over the stupidest things

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #55 on: 31 Jul 2011, 12:04 »

I wasn't advocating waiting, tbh.

Even if we press the issue aggressively, it's still going to take a little bit for it to have the desired effect. Bitches be stubborn, yo.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #56 on: 31 Jul 2011, 12:27 »

Pushing the issue aggressively seems like the only real route, at this stage -- except any attempt to make the people who don't even make sense, let alone try to approach it moderately scientifically IC, will just be met with even more of the ever-fuckin'-present drama.

I love the concept of Arek'jaalan, but when it's filled with people of the aforementioned bent, and any criticism of a project immediately escalates into more drama? I really do wonder if it's worth the time. Dropbear's presentation was encouraging, yeah, but there's only so much he can do. :\

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #57 on: 31 Jul 2011, 23:02 »

I wrote a blog post on my romantic getaway weekend (>_>) with Dropbear. Lots of stuff in there about Arek'Jaalan, and as I remember stuff from my conversation, I'll try to include it here. The drinking may have affected my memory, so if something sounds stupid or frustrating, assume that that's not what he said and it's just me being a drunken neckbeard.

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #58 on: 01 Aug 2011, 02:04 »

Very nice blog post, Casiella.

I guess my suggestion with adding pew-pew to this event to compensate the wannabe scientists is not going to happen. Luckely for me, and with two other events centered around pew-pew there should be enough for everybody anyhow. It is nice Dropbear is trying to keep the spirit of the discussions from EVE Fiction and letting this event go as slow as needed.

Also that he plans to let the project develop on its own after having established the foundation is exactly what I had in mind too. Then we can also get rid of the "I am sacrificing rare items to the gods for them to take notice of me" research.

Let me add, not because the project is riddled with that research approach right now, but as long as Hilen is visible in the lead, a lot of projects will effectively be about asking him questions and wait for answers. I go through the AJ wiki pages on a daily basis (simply looking at what have been edited recently) and there is a lot of interesting research proposals there that players could do some real digging into themselves. It will be better when people to realize that it will be themselves to come up with the results and answers and not the "GM".
« Last Edit: 01 Aug 2011, 05:52 by Myyona »
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Borza

• Kuru Khai
  • Omelette
  • We come for our people
« Reply #59 on: 01 Aug 2011, 09:17 »

How many of them are real-life scientists, have a scientific background, or want to adhere to something formal that gets in their way?

I am irl and would be fine with that. My character isn't though ;)

Also, bugger that, loldrama everywhere.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13