Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Blood Raider ships have the same design and golden sheen as Amarrian vessels, but are mottled in rust-like vermilion? (The Burning Life p. 80)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Racial Cuisine?  (Read 4689 times)

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
Racial Cuisine?
« on: 07 Jul 2011, 09:45 »

THE FOLLOWING IS SPECULATION AND GUESSING

Okay, so, my character will be eating dinner at a restaurant during a meeting with a friend. It occured to me this morning that I had little idea what she'd actually eat there, and I don't really want to just say Krusal Fried Furrier (Colonel Zaander's secret recipe!) with a side of quafe and fried potatoes.

I got thinking what sorts of examples we could come up with for bloodline based food. Since there are so many races and bloodlines, I'll start with a few, and an example for each race based on what little I know of each. Maybe you all can help out with more?

CALDARI
Deteis - I've no idea, here.
Civire - Likely a protein rich diet, in some form. I'm figuring that ebcause of the impressive muscle mass of the average Civire male, and the almost masculine form of the females.
Achura - I'm thinking along the lines of Japanese styled food.

GALLENTE
Gallente - Varied and flavorful, likely luxurious in both taste and form. There probably isn't any one 'style' that can be nailed down here, except to say that all styles are valid, including those from other races.
Intaki - No idea, but I'm thinking it might have a strong side to it. Maybe spicey or just potent.
Jin-Mei - Chinese food! No, really. I'm thinking traditional Chinese cuisine here.
Mannar - No idea.

AMARR
True Amarr - In keeping with Amarrian religion, I suspect it might be something along the lines of what (Italian) Roman Catholics living in the Renaissance might have eaten. Jita 4-4 chron mentioned a Salted Amarrian Rockjaw.
Khanid - Mmnh.. Another protein rich diet here? Maybe more mongolian/hun in flair. The whole 'Khan' in Khanid makes me go there.
Ni Kunni - No idea.

MINMATAR
Brutor - Spicy and strong, as was mentioned in Jita 4-4 chron: "At Pmokka Caravan Delights you can have it seared over a traditional Brutor Khari oven, then watch as it's slowly de-skewered and served alongside tender pieces of traditional Pator Steak, bloody and still rich with life beside their impaled counterparts. "
Sebiestor - No idea. Maybe the bread soups mentioned in the same chron?
Vherokier - No idea.

JOVE
Jovian - Probably just some nutrient rich soup, à la The Matrix 'slop'.

Any other ideas?

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
Re: Racial Cuisine?
« Reply #1 on: 07 Jul 2011, 10:05 »

I wrote a cooking fic. (I stole the rimpon from Matariki)
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #2 on: 07 Jul 2011, 10:44 »

Not sure there's much distinction to be made between Civire/Deteis...labelled as "ethnic Caldari" (may be proven horribly wrong by the immersion project).

In the Federation, "Caldari takeout" is popular, greasy deep-fried stuff in boxes and eaten with tongs.

Also, Jita 4-4 explains Gallentean cuisine habits. They dominate the industry since they know how to take on the face of their competitors in whatever society/culture they trade in.

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Kuashi
http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Starcakes
http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Ghalen_Pastries
http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Ghalen_Dumplings
http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Crate_of_Feille_d%E2%80%99Marnne_Champagne

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #3 on: 07 Jul 2011, 11:06 »

There is a "Native Freshfood Special"

http://games.chruker.dk/eve_online/item.php?type_id=23948

The Native Freshfood Special is a meat-heavy meal which is sought after all throughout the Minmatar Republic. The recipe has been handed down through countless generations, and is considered part of the Minmatar heritage
\o/

Lyn Farel

« Reply #4 on: 07 Jul 2011, 13:26 »

Intaki - No idea, but I'm thinking it might have a strong side to it. Maybe spicey or just potent.

VEGAN !

No actually, just kidding, I dunno  :P

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #5 on: 07 Jul 2011, 19:52 »

Renewed interest in history and cuisine throughout Minmatar Republic
reported by ISD Halcion Krissach | 2009.01.17 10:37:41

As a new educational term draws near at Republic University, school administrators are reporting a record number of students enrolling in university programs based on Minmatar history and culture, previously low-attendance subjects within the University. University heads state this is a natural follow-on from the increased self-confidence the Republic has found itself imbued with over these past months.

Last week, the movement of Culture Reclamation received several notable increases in grants from the tribes. The movement, founded by the Brutor Tribe when the Republic was formed, concentrates on restoring the culture and history lost to the Minmatar people during the long years of Amarrian occupation and enslavement.

Also showing growth is Native Freshfood, known for taking "classic" and "lost" Minmatar recipes and adapting them to modern cooking techniques. Classic Minmatar cuisine has a significantly higher nutritional value than more common "modern" dishes, making it easier and cheaper to provide quality meals. Native Freshfood attributes the rise in sales of ingredients and recipes to both the reduced cost of meal preparation and the desire of Minmatar to "eat like Minmatar."

This doesn't give us a guide to what those cheap and nutritious meals might be like, but does suggest there's a cultural equivalent of a wholefoods or locavore movement in parts of Matari society.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 07 Jul 2011, 21:52 »

Brutor feast on Amarrian orphans and Ni-Kunni tears....

Actually, given that theyre the most physically focused and accomplished race, Im pretty sure they would dine on protein, lots of protein and lean meat.

For Matari food, would be interesting to look up the regional origins of each Tribe, and guestimate the food from cultures from those areas given real world examples.  (plains for Vhekior, islands for Brutor, northern climes for Sebbies, etc)
« Last Edit: 07 Jul 2011, 21:57 by Gottii »
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #7 on: 07 Jul 2011, 22:37 »

For Matari food, would be interesting to look up the regional origins of each Tribe, and guestimate the food from cultures from those areas given real world examples.  (plains for Vhekior, islands for Brutor, northern climes for Sebbies, etc)

I imagine there are Matari doing this right now as they develop "traditional" tribal cuisines.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #8 on: 07 Jul 2011, 22:38 »

I've always gone with some analogue to Indian recipes (curry, masala, etc. of both meat and vegetarian varieties) for Intaki food, given the fanon- and somewhat-CCP-supported use of Hindi for the Intaki language.

Khanid food, I've figured would be also somewhat spicy.

And to clarify, Ghalen dumplings and pastries are an Achuran dish, not a Jin-Mei one, as Seri's lumping them together with Starcakes and Kuashi may imply. :P
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 08 Jul 2011, 02:40 »

Space fish and chips.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #10 on: 08 Jul 2011, 10:33 »

We do know about Amarr that they do grow wheat. So different dishes based on grain. Different types of bread with vegetables (and at least for the rich, meat). Grain also means that there's beer, so Amarr might be pretty big on the brewing industry. Ardishapur Monastery Beer?

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #11 on: 08 Jul 2011, 11:11 »

We do know about Amarr that they do grow wheat. So different dishes based on grain. Different types of bread with vegetables (and at least for the rich, meat). Grain also means that there's beer, so Amarr might be pretty big on the brewing industry. Ardishapur Monastery Beer?

Which would fit with medieval monastic eating. Monks were known to eat very strong and meaty food and drink. Very strong tasting beers and foul/potent cheeses. Along of course, with bread and meats.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #12 on: 08 Jul 2011, 11:36 »

Which would fit with medieval monastic eating. Monks were known to eat very strong and meaty food and drink. Very strong tasting beers and foul/potent cheeses. Along of course, with bread and meats.

This is a bit of a detour, but what are your sources of information about the medieval monastic diet?

I'm particularly interested in claims that it was a "meaty" diet, given the amount of time the calendar devoted to meat-avoiding "fasts".

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #13 on: 08 Jul 2011, 18:44 »

This is a bit of a detour, but what are your sources of information about the medieval monastic diet?

I'm particularly interested in claims that it was a "meaty" diet, given the amount of time the calendar devoted to meat-avoiding "fasts".

It was a show about the history of cheese, actually. I've no idea what channel, show, or episode. During part of the episode, they got into the stinky cheeses. The historian mentioned that particular stinky cheese was invented by 'monks', or some religious order that I admit I can't remember. It may not have been Catholic. I believe it was in Scotland, but I could be wrong.

At any rate, he discussed how mealtime was one of the few times they enjoyed some real 'lust for food' or something, going on about how the beer and cheese were very very strong in flavor and smell, complimenting each other well.
« Last Edit: 08 Jul 2011, 18:46 by Katrina Oniseki »

Half Cocked Jack

• Clonejack
« Reply #14 on: 08 Jul 2011, 20:01 »

To continue the aside, one must remember that monastic traditions vary widely in their practices--even within Catholicism. There is no "monastic diet." There are hundreds! What monks ate varied depending on order as well as location...with preferences often trumped by necessity. While most orders, following the precedents set by the Benedictines, eschewed the consumption of flesh, actual practice was more often dictated by a sustainable waste-not policy.

While meat consumption of some sort or another was therefore hard to avoid under certain circumstances, imagining a monk hunkering down over a leg of lamb or a hearty beef stew is a sore misrepresentation in almost all cases. Cattle were more profitable alive as milk and fiber producers and as bond animals. Dead cattle could also be put to many more profitable uses than food. Parchment, vellum, tallow, and oil were more valuable, and meat could be sold for a net gain. Since profit was important and asceticism a nearly universal factor, the monks themselves went without the choice portions. Most major orders' recipe traditions are still with us and contain very little in the way of meat...usually just fat, bone stock, or token amounts of cured flesh.

It is not, however, inaccurate to imagine Medieval monks getting damn close to shit-faced every day. Almost everything is fermentable, and monasteries have a long history of brewing. It is possible to look at many illuminated manuscripts and trace the course of the day in the monk's calligraphy...from error-free with perfect form in the morning to rife with corrections done with a shaky hand by afternoon. This is largely thought to be due to afternoon drunkenness.

Speaking of monastic recipe books (and back on topic :D), I picture HCJ eating pretty much what I do in real life, and I imagine it as being the result or primarily Ni-Kunni and secondarily Gallente influence. I picture Ni-Kunni cuisine being monastically utilitarian because it was necessary for them to sustain strong, healthy humans with a minimum amount of available ingredients on their original world. In short, I imagine this as a Ni-Kunni cookbook. HCJ's time among the Gallente, though, got him used to some stronger flavors. So while he still prefers the simple, plain, easily-digestible food of his childhood, he likes it with a bit of extra spice (IRL, that cookbook is amazingly awesome...just double up on the spices ;)).

« Last Edit: 08 Jul 2011, 20:07 by Half Cocked Jack »
Pages: [1] 2