Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that station interiors have a day/night cycle mimicking planets? (p. 88)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Security Detail  (Read 4620 times)

Jace

• Veteran
Security Detail
« on: 11 Mar 2014, 13:01 »

So, whenever discussions of personal arms or martial art capabilities come up, a significant amount of people respond that their characters have security details and thus don't need to be effective themselves.

Yet, I almost never see anyone RP that they are walking around with a security detail. Why?

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
Re: Security Detail
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2014, 13:05 »

Havo always does.  Any time I did "bar RP", when I'd pose in there'd be something about the two heavies taking up a position just outside the door, or just inside if there was nothing in the location's description about a weapons ban.

I don't do much of that public RP stuff anymore though.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2014, 13:08 »

* Louella Dougans has one of her security people give her a tl:dr of Jace's post, "something about security details not being RP'd, ma'am". "Oh, I see, well, type something appropriate in response". "As you wish, ma'am". "Don't type lolRP though, make it sound thoughtful", "Yes, ma'am"

Security details are logistically challenging in a time-sensitive environment.
\o/

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2014, 13:14 »

* Louella Dougans has one of her security people give her a tl:dr of Jace's post, "something about security details not being RP'd, ma'am". "Oh, I see, well, type something appropriate in response". "As you wish, ma'am". "Don't type lolRP though, make it sound thoughtful", "Yes, ma'am"

Security details are logistically challenging in a time-sensitive environment.

Sure, but it could be done rather simply. Just noting that they are there at a respectful distance, and that's that. I'm just surprised, because there are folks I remember seeing talk about "always having bodyguards" that never actually seem to in-game.

My first thought was that they don't want to come across as self-aggrandizing to other RPers. But then I thought, wait, when has that ever stopped an RPer?

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2014, 13:18 »

Maybe it doesn't create the right impression or something ?

* Louella Dougans enters the room, behind a battalion of storm-troopers who give the establishment a security sweep, confiscating several bystander's newspapers, and pistol-whipping someone who was trying to use a quafe vending machine.

Hi, what a nice place.
\o/

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #5 on: 11 Mar 2014, 13:20 »

I know I can sound a bit flippant, but... if you have security people and make a point of RPing them, then it says to the person(s) you're interacting with that you don't fully trust: 1. their security, 2. them.
\o/

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 11 Mar 2014, 13:23 »

I know I can sound a bit flippant, but... if you have security people and make a point of RPing them, then it says to the person(s) you're interacting with that you don't fully trust: 1. their security, 2. them.

I guess it just surprises me how easily people like to give the impression that they do trust the security and owners wherever they go. Yes, you can easily just bail on any godmodding, but just from an IC standpoint - why would you trust a bar owner?

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #7 on: 11 Mar 2014, 13:32 »

Hmm, perhaps this is one of those things, you know the kind, where someone points something out, and now you can't help noticing it yourself, everywhere.
\o/

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 11 Mar 2014, 13:40 »

If your character does not trust the security in an establishment, then they probably should not be going without a very good reason. This limits RP in general, and people OOC are hesitent to do it since it cuts down on the venues and other characters available for interaction. Bringing your own security detail to a place also brings up issues of godmodding, especially if the venue already has security that might not take kindly to a random gang of thugs setting up a protective perimiter on their own turf.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 11 Mar 2014, 13:49 »

If your character does not trust the security in an establishment, then they probably should not be going without a very good reason. This limits RP in general, and people OOC are hesitent to do it since it cuts down on the venues and other characters available for interaction. Bringing your own security detail to a place also brings up issues of godmodding, especially if the venue already has security that might not take kindly to a random gang of thugs setting up a protective perimiter on their own turf.

I suppose I've always expected it to be up to the owner to reference it in their MOTD - some do, stating no baseliners, security or otherwise, are allowed in the establishment by their own security. But yes, I understand your point. Either your character is coming across as egotistical by always having their own detail, or inconsistently paranoid by having a detail...but still willing to roam around in public.

Bayushi Tamago

• Lady of Many Faces
  • Clonejack
    • Threaded Pixels
« Reply #10 on: 11 Mar 2014, 23:45 »

Not everyone needs a detail either
*grins*.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #11 on: 11 Mar 2014, 23:50 »

Security detail are for people who can't stay incognito. Being able to blend into the populace is better. Hoodie and high collars are the way.

Anyone who goes around announcing that he is a capsuleer superstar is begging to be met with an unfortunate accident in some alleyway.
« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2014, 23:52 by Elmund Egivand »
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 11 Mar 2014, 23:55 »

Security detail are for people who can't stay incognito. Being able to blend into the populace is better. Hoodie and high collars are the way.

Anyone who goes around announcing that he is a capsuleer superstar is begging to be met with an unfortunate accident in some alleyway.

I was referring more to in-character channels, but interesting perspective anyway. =P

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #13 on: 12 Mar 2014, 01:13 »

Well, anyway, RPing the security detail is cumbersome. It also doesn't make sense to have the bodyguards speak for any reason unless the person in question is playing The Godfather and doesn't speak your language (but we have translator implants for that, and I believe that's part of a healthy capsuleer implant package). Put them outside, or have two/capsuleer stand around the dining table glaring at each other like it's some kind of stand off while you folks discuss shady matters over a candlelit dinner. Perhaps have one of the bodyguards be the food taster or something in case of poison.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 12 Mar 2014, 01:22 »

Well, anyway, RPing the security detail is cumbersome. It also doesn't make sense to have the bodyguards speak for any reason unless the person in question is playing The Godfather and doesn't speak your language (but we have translator implants for that, and I believe that's part of a healthy capsuleer implant package). Put them outside, or have two/capsuleer stand around the dining table glaring at each other like it's some kind of stand off while you folks discuss shady matters over a candlelit dinner. Perhaps have one of the bodyguards be the food taster or something in case of poison.

Oh, yeah I suppose you could have actual characters be the detail. I was thinking of when people just throw in a couple lines stating they have baseliner bodyguards following them, etc. This seems to be what most people are implying when they say they have details, that it is part of their crew or something.
Pages: [1] 2 3