Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The 'Crystal Boulevard' of Caille is both a high end shopping center and a vast shield of manufactured diamond for bunkers underneath?

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: EVE Templar One - Now on Amazon!  (Read 16307 times)

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
Re: EVE Templar One - Now on Amazon!
« Reply #90 on: 10 Jan 2012, 02:13 »

If the book has PF that nobody in the game can know about, does it add to the PF?

This is kind of like the tree falling in the woods kind of thing...

I suppose we could treat both this and The Empyrean Age as works of fiction in an IC context.

Fiction that, for some reason, the NPC's it depicts haven't seen fit to object to. Maybe to preserved their dignity?
True. As long as the NPC's behaviour in game does not reflect the events in the book and anything else in game does not either I think we can overlook this information IC.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #91 on: 10 Jan 2012, 11:16 »

If the book has PF that nobody in the game can know about, does it add to the PF?

This is kind of like the tree falling in the woods kind of thing...

I suppose we could treat both this and The Empyrean Age as works of fiction in an IC context.

Fiction that, for some reason, the NPC's it depicts haven't seen fit to object to. Maybe to preserved their dignity?
True. As long as the NPC's behaviour in game does not reflect the events in the book and anything else in game does not either I think we can overlook this information IC.

No. I don't mean overlook it IC. I mean behave as if it's some sen-sational release from a very trashy Fed holo production company. A bit like those fake romance novels that someone was posting cover pics for on the IGS a while back. You remember "Princess of Pator" and all that?
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #92 on: 10 Jan 2012, 11:57 »

No. I don't mean overlook it IC. I mean behave as if it's some sen-sational release from a very trashy Fed holo production company. A bit like those fake romance novels that someone was posting cover pics for on the IGS a while back. You remember "Princess of Pator" and all that?
Ah, good idea. :)

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
« Reply #93 on: 10 Jan 2012, 12:22 »

I have ordered the book today.  :cowbell:

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #94 on: 13 Jan 2012, 13:42 »

It sounds like this offering met most expectations then?

When you think of what could have been... :(
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #95 on: 13 Jan 2012, 13:48 »

It sounds like this offering met most expectations then?

When you think of what could have been... :(

Haha. Well, does one upset at a thief for taking our money, or should we thank them for also not knifing us during the theft?

:s

Vendrin

• Clonejack
« Reply #96 on: 13 Jan 2012, 21:40 »

* Vendrin shrugs

I don't know, maybe I'm just an idiot without any real literary taste, but I enjoyed the book. Sure it doesn't mesh completely with previous PF, but it was a good story imho, and how can we expect one guy to keep up with over 8 years of PF that's been written by at least a dozen if not more different people.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #97 on: 14 Jan 2012, 00:51 »

A lot of us seem to manage.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Random Sentience

« Reply #98 on: 14 Jan 2012, 01:31 »

A lot of us seem to manage.
Tony is probably caught up in his own story. Considering the plots of his stories in EVE center around the same characters/situations...

I think it is probably best that he is not part of CCP right now. I enjoyed the novel, but the devblog announcing his exit kind of summed it up for me.

Bringing EVE to life through storytelling and world building has been one of my greatest joys. For the past six years, I’ve devoted myself to building this IP through the sheer power of her setting—hands down the most underutilized force in EVE. I walked the floors of conventions dreaming of the day when we might have a 30 foot tall poster of Tibus Heth or Empress Jamyl to compete with the larger-than-life icons of other IP’s like the Master Chief and Commander Sheppard..
This is my issue. This may be the underlying cause of the issues others are seeing. It's a disconnected viewpoint of what the writer thinks EVE should be as opposed to what it is and could be. Not only that, but it's attempting to put EVE into an entirely different field of play that it shouldn't even be compared to.

EVE is not DUST. DUST will never be Mass Effect or HALO.

/soapbox

Long and the short of it: It's hard to see the forest for the trees when you're pruning a banzai with blinders on.

Also: I loved the novel. It's a guilty pleasure.  :cube:

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #99 on: 14 Jan 2012, 03:35 »

I have understanding for some of Tony's shortcomings. He is not the first EVE fiction writer who rather want to come up with his own sci-fi explanation for things instead of checking if a piece of PF has touched on that topic before. In fact, a lot of the stories published in the EVE Fiction forum suffer from this. I know because I read them and cringe when they do that.

But I expect it has something to do with the "creative process" that writers do and can sympathize with that. It has also come to my attention that Tony is not the only member within the CCP Storyline team who have difficulties grasping the full extend of EVE lore. I think the Factional Portal is as much a project for CCP to get a overview of their own lore as for players to do. Also, the lore has not been written yet and apparently the Storyline team is actually trying to avoid fleshing out too much, which is in someway an encouragement to fiction writers to think up their own stuff. Interestingly, this gives us players an opportunity to bid in with contributions to the PF and I think we will see a greater development of this happening in the future.

Still, I also feel Tony is more interested in mediating HIS EVE story instead of being part of a legacy.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #100 on: 14 Jan 2012, 05:26 »

I've read sci-fi stories, not a lot, but enough.

None of the good ones have ever had to resort to cheesy sex scenes to make the setting or take the story further.

I think the way sexuality and the way different sexes are approached in Tonys writings is a 'tell' that the guy is not playing with a full deck.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #101 on: 18 Jan 2012, 01:44 »

Book was great. That's about all I have to say about it before digging into spoilers. :P

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #102 on: 18 Jan 2012, 12:08 »

I like spoilers, can you PM me some spoilers?

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #103 on: 18 Jan 2012, 13:56 »

I like spoilers, can you PM me some spoilers?

This.  Seriously.  Ive no interest in reading this book.  But wouldnt mind the PF relevant stuff.  (headdesks after saying that)
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #104 on: 18 Jan 2012, 15:10 »

When it comes out on Kindle for non-US buyers (no, I don't want to change my nominal location just for this book, thanks) I intend to purchase it. I might not read it before the long-haul journey to Fanfest, when it could help kill some of the ~46-hours from door to door with only annoying transit stops in airports around the world.

If no one else has done a PF dump of it before I get to it, I'll do one. That could be in a couple of months, though, so there's plenty of opportunity for someone else to jump in.
« Last Edit: 18 Jan 2012, 15:12 by Matariki Rain »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8