Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Amarrian "godflesh" taboo forbids against cloning? Until YC119, anyway!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: You aren't godlike enough.  (Read 17280 times)

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
Re: You aren't godlike enough.
« Reply #120 on: 24 Jun 2012, 06:11 »

When I would pull off a Goonswarm LP scam, then I would feel godlike.

You can feel godlike in EVE if you manage to manipulate your fellow capsuleers or you can game the (Concord) system.

Having a Titan wouldn't make you feel godlike. being able to fire your guns at a planet despite Concord regulations would make you feel this way. Finding a way to jump and fight with that Titan in high-sec would make you feel that way.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #121 on: 25 Jun 2012, 13:19 »

I think people in EVE have a serious misunderstanding on what it is like to be a god, or have godlike power.

Basically there are four kinds of gods in all mythologies:
-Linked to an aspect of everyday life.
-Linked to an aspect of a special time in a life.
-Linked to an aspect of the world that people live in.
-Tricksters.

All gods have control over the aspect they are connected to.
All gods are limited by strict rules of conduct.
All gods have absolute power over the aspect they are connected to.
All gods are fallible.

Except tricksters.
They can do whatever they want.
They can be as powerful as they want.
They can be everything that they want.
Except stop being tricksters.

To be a god has nothing to do with superior abilities.
Or immortality.
Or your power level being over nine thousand.

It is about creation and ultimate control over what you have created.

A god is worshipped for that control, because you control everything connected to that aspect of the life of a regular person.
By worshipping a god a person can gain your favor and hopefully you grant them some of that control that you have.

Capsuleers and gods have nothing in common.

Capsuleers and demi-gods have very little in common except for the fact that they tend to gravitate towards being archetypes of people instead of being real persons.

You could argue that the capsuleers are gods because they create the ships that they fly and determine the ultimate fate of those things that they create in their wars against each other and whatnot.

So do little children in their sandboxes.

So please stop abusing the concept of godhood.

Pretty please.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Syylara/Yaansu

• Egger
« Reply #122 on: 25 Jun 2012, 13:59 »

Ok, so they aren't god-like when you use the definition that suits certain pantheon-style polytheistic systems.

However, in many systems the god or gods are portrayed as omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent and such.  While we as capsuleers may not actually be those things (CONCORD make go boom!) there is certainly a case to be made for getting to a point where one might be deluded into thinking so.

Hell, it happens in real life as a result of various psychological disorders.  With capsuleers, rather than a major psychotic break all you'd need is a slightly exaggerated sense of worth/ability in order to start believing oneself so mightily powerful.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #123 on: 25 Jun 2012, 14:14 »

According to my mythological knowledge there is only one omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent and such god in the world.

That's the Hebrew god.

Who, according to holy texts written by his followers, has gimped himself into oblivion since old testament and has not done anything in the past 2k years.

Making even that god slip into the godly archetypes I mentioned earlier.

EDIT: Clarifying things.
« Last Edit: 25 Jun 2012, 16:57 by lallara zhuul »

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #124 on: 25 Jun 2012, 14:40 »

[mod]Let's please avoid turning this into a RL religious debate. Thank you in advance.[/mod]

Anslol

« Reply #125 on: 09 Sep 2013, 15:02 »

Necroing because I like the OP. Why limit ourselves to what game mechanics allow? Why not RP something a little more 'unf.'

I did it and..honestly it was fun (evil but fun).
« Last Edit: 09 Sep 2013, 15:05 by Anslol »

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #126 on: 09 Sep 2013, 16:18 »

Necroing because I like the OP. Why limit ourselves to what game mechanics allow? Why not RP something a little more 'unf.'

I did it and..honestly it was fun (evil but fun).

Soon.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #127 on: 09 Sep 2013, 17:23 »

I would have fewer issues believing in the godhood of Capsuleers if most of what we do wasn't so godsdamn MUNDANE.

Space Trucker. Space Miner. Mission Running. Faction War.

It's all very low level stuff. The number of people who are true Empyrean style movers and shakers? Very minimal.

CCP has cut us off from interaction with real folks, so we can only be compared to other Empyreans in our interaction.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #128 on: 09 Sep 2013, 18:32 »

I would have fewer issues believing in the godhood of Capsuleers if most of what we do wasn't so godsdamn MUNDANE.

It's all very low level stuff. The number of people who are true Empyrean style movers and shakers? Very minimal.

CCP has cut us off from interaction with real folks, so we can only be compared to other Empyreans in our interaction.

... movers and shakers... have meetings.

Steffanie Saissore

• Knight Commander (in training)
  • Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #129 on: 10 Sep 2013, 11:58 »

I do have to agree with Pieter on this. The actual impact that we have appears to be fairly limited in scope; yes, we can do worldbuilding and little story arcs of our own, but at the end of the day, we have next to no actual impact upon the Nations. At least as far as I can tell.

Faction War, to me, feels very much like a ploy by CONCORD to keep aggressive capsuleers busy shooting up their own stuff in zones that are really of low interest to the nations involved.

Outside of that, we can attack each other where it hurts (the wallet by blowing up the nice shiny ships we fly) or by messing around with mission sanctioned NPC ships in deadspace.

At the end of the day, we might have phenomenal cosmic power, we are constrained into an itty-bitty living space.
"And if the music stops, there's only the sound of the rain.  All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain.  And if love remains though everything is lost, we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost."

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #130 on: 10 Sep 2013, 17:25 »

At the end of the day, we might have phenomenal cosmic power, we are constrained into an itty-bitty living space.

Can we not have the parrot though?  The parrot is annoying.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #131 on: 10 Sep 2013, 18:53 »

I do have to agree with Pieter on this. The actual impact that we have appears to be fairly limited in scope; yes, we can do worldbuilding and little story arcs of our own, but at the end of the day, we have next to no actual impact upon the Nations. At least as far as I can tell.

Faction War, to me, feels very much like a ploy by CONCORD to keep aggressive capsuleers busy shooting up their own stuff in zones that are really of low interest to the nations involved.

Outside of that, we can attack each other where it hurts (the wallet by blowing up the nice shiny ships we fly) or by messing around with mission sanctioned NPC ships in deadspace.

The scope and frequency of dev events involving capsuleers moves this concept both ways on the pendulum.  Sometimes capsuleers are directly involved and responsible for serious PF biz-ness, and sometimes we don't affect the greater fictional world at all for some time.

Ollie

• Egger
« Reply #132 on: 10 Sep 2013, 19:30 »

So my attempt at RPing someone with the gift of immortality (in so far as technology allows me it) is to meditate on what it is to be human, where that technology might take humanity and how best to capitalise on the benefits of that journey while minimising the risks. That's a personal thing and so it doesn't often come out overtly in the RP I get to do. I hope that, in some way, it comes out in the IGS posts I make from time to time but I think it all too often gets drowned out in cross-factional derp.

I'm going to put this out there - props to people like Saede, Tiberious and Evi (and others within the TS-F crew), Ninavask, Yuni, all the digital consciousness/infomorph types, Jade and Cosmo from years ago, Istvaan and the GHSC/Endless Corp, Shintoko and others - for trying to push that transhuman agenda out into RP. Because without their efforts my character would be a whole lot more two dimensional than he is even now.

I like the idea of being a 'someone' in the universe - someone who has the time, resources and firepower to try and drag humanity into its next era of evolution. I like considering what the sacrifices will need to be and which ones I'm happy to live with and which ones I'm not. I like examining why I'm not happy living with some. And to some extent I like putting a plan together, starting it up and seeing how the experiment plays out with the lives of all those 'smaller people'1 it intersects with.

To me, those things are god-like enough because let's face it ... in the grimdark of EVE if you've got the time to put your mind to those things while also using it to pilot a ship you're probably not struggling to scrap an existence together out of whatever minimum-wage/subsistence society everyone else is struggling with.

1 'Smaller people' - like baseliners - relative to my character in game :)

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #133 on: 10 Sep 2013, 21:27 »

What Ollie said.

Though it is hard to see Ari as transhumanist for most, as she usualy appears for all intents and purposes to be the usual proper god fearing Amarrian or your average indy space blue collar worker at times, that factors in quite a bit for her, and always did even before I rped in eve, when I was just writing fiction for the eve portal.

I oddly find nothing mundane at all about being space trucker or space miner.  Eve always is to me a mindest of the immense depth and beauty of space, the glory of being among the stars, the sense of intricate connection with a starship.  Yes, even if its top speed us somewhere in the 60 to 80 meters per second range and it chews spacerocks as its most violent act.

Then again Im weird.

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #134 on: 11 Sep 2013, 02:29 »

+1 to Ollie.

As some of you might have guessed from the recent TS-F thread on IGS, Reppy's actually started pondering transhumanist matters herself, so this thread has a special significance for me now.  Have to see how things go in that regard, the arc could go a lot of different ways.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11