Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That cleaner bombs can remove small messes, including lingering aromas?(The Burning Life p 33)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: is it harder to "world-build" with Caldari than other factions ?  (Read 2921 times)

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/

For Gallente, there are micronations all over the place, a single unified planetary government seems to be uncommon, let alone star system government.

Minmatar have their clans.

Amarr have the whole thing with families, holders, and so on.

These all give people space to say "In my (situation), we did it like this:"

But is that the case for Caldari ?

To me, it kind of looks like Caldari people have it a bit harder, with the whole thing with 8 Megacorps. Does that limit people? Is it a good or bad thing ?
\o/

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

I think there's plenty of room to work within their cultural paradigm.

Lots of great RPers working with the State system, lots of good RPers walking the line.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor

Caldari have the subsidiary corporations. And the subsidiary corporations of those subsidiary corporations.

I think Caldari could world-build quite fine.

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette

Caldari have the easiest time of all when it comes to world-building, t seems to me. Make a corp, and you've built a world.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Desiderya

Corporate framework makes it indeed much easier. Granted, it's more difficult to name yourself emperor, but then we're talking about caldari RP, no? 8)

Anslol

Caldari have the easiest time of all when it comes to world-building, t seems to me. Make a corp, and you've built a world.

This. But not only that, the cultures are a great source for world building. There's lots of issues tube-children face. Archura are a bit of a mystery to me, so maybe you could build up varied ethnicities within the Archuran ethnicity? And corporations, though they be small, can have a whole culture.

Imagine a very old Caldari Capsuleer owned Corporation tasked with Jump Gate management in an ass end part of low for the state. Since they're the only one's in the area, they basically get sole sourced contracts. This can be justified by PF, thought I forget which Chron exactly talks about generations of families running the same gate.

Either way, a whole culture could emerge from such a sheltered existence, regardless of galnet, fluid routers, etc, etc. I mean, who would bother wanting to find the latest and greatest gadget from Zainou when there's power couplings to repair on a gate about to receive pilots?

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain

Corporate framework makes it indeed much easier. Granted, it's more difficult to name yourself emperor, but then we're talking about caldari RP, no? 8)
I hereby declare myself the Emperor of the re-established Raata Empire.

...what do you mean with "you're Intaki"? Intaki shmintaki, we've had enough Ni-Kunni emperors down in Amarr, right?

Imagine a very old Caldari Capsuleer owned Corporation tasked with Jump Gate management in an ass end part of low for the state. Since they're the only one's in the area, they basically get sole sourced contracts. This can be justified by PF, thought I forget which Chron exactly talks about generations of families running the same gate.

Not a chronicle. This is the region description of Deklein, which apparently has the finest-running stargates in the cluster due to the families needing to live in their gates.

On topic, there is also surprisingly lot of information about Caldari spirituality and so on. Though the basic premise of ancestor and spirit worship probably isn't too familiar to us, but then neither is Minmatar shamanism, I think.

Utsukushi Shi

• Achur Temptress
  • Egger
  • Chuku Dansei

When I first started with Souch it annoyed me that their was virtually no lore on Achurans(Achur? whatever lol). After getting deeper into it all, I found I really liked it. I am pretty much free to interpret their history however I want (within reason obviously). Of course that's just them, I really have not tried either of the main Caldari.
Sometimes one wants to get caught...

K_Wiroshoda

• Clonejack

It is more than possible with the subsidiary approach, but given the institutional enforcement of Caldari homogeneity, it would naturally be a little restricted depending on the corporation in question. At least from how I see it.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain

As capsuleers create Corporations, its actually much more feasible to portray you under the umbrella of one of the megacorps than to portray you as part of a holder investments, or political party (in case of gallente).

For gallente you are usually a service provider at most, with ties to one side/culture/political party/etc....but never a true "piece" of the Federation. As world building goes, Caldari got the best part in my view.

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!

One of the particularly interesting things about portraying a subsidiary of a megacorp is the possibilities for corporate intrigue, both within your megacorp and between other corps. Omerta Syndicate, for instance, was originally an Ishukone subsidiary. We participated in some proxy wars under Ishukone auspices, before whipping the steering wheel around and RPing that Ishukone had betrayed us for political reasons.

Gesakaarin

I find it easy to world-build for Caldari because I find the State the faction most consistent with the dark corporate dystopia of being a capsuleer in New Eden.

"Not a Caldari citizen or someone I am obligated to? Go DIAF then." Easily translates into a cynical and pragmatic world view as a podder. Where lofty ideals are less important than taking care of your own, realpolitik, advancing your own agendas to serve the people you're loyalty to, and seeing the world only as competing or mutual interests.

In fact, a lot of the things I envision most capsuleers doing like corporate mercenary work, industrial espionage, and the pursuit of power and its protection against others is just a fact of life for most Caldari and their perspective on life, the universe and everything easily justifies life in the pod without a lot of the moral reservations I think can up from playing in other factions.

The most difficult aspect however, to world-building with Caldari is the concept of the Megacorporation itself. Many seem to equate them with a modern corporation when in fact they are centuries old human institutions with their own particular identity, history, corporate cultures, familial politics, and whom billions of Caldari identify with and are loyal to just as much a traditional nation-state.

Caldari corporatism doesn't find its parallels so much in a modern trans-national, but rather in what would happen if modern trans-nationals find themselves in a position of supreme power and authority without government control, oversight or intervention, and where their employees no longer pledge allegiance to a flag but to a brand.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child

Caldari corporatism doesn't find its parallels so much in a modern trans-national, but rather in what would happen if modern trans-nationals find themselves in a position of supreme power and authority without government control, oversight or intervention, and where their employees no longer pledge allegiance to a flag but to a brand.

This is why I'm always so amused when people get confused by it. Kat tends to say "I'm Ishukone" and "I'm Hyasyoda" here and there, and people get confused as to how she can be both at the same time. Born Hyasyoda, currently Ishukone. It's the same as saying born Canadian and currently American. People still think of the megas OOC as Walmart and Target, and thinking it sounds off to say she's both at the same time.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

WTB more dark corporate dystopia.

WTS nation-state dictator. Slightly used.

I feel like I -used- to see the State as just that, more akin to neo-tokyo corporate system gone wild. Employees for life, dedicated to the company, loyalty is everything.

Gesakaarin

WTB more dark corporate dystopia.

I can only hope that myself and the Pyre Falcon Defence Combine will be able to deliver on this product and/or service in the near future.
Pages: [1] 2