Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the DED and the Sisters of EVE cooperate on audits of megacorps? (The Burning Life p 35)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Typos and Spelling errors in RP, or 'I like reaching for low-hanging fruit'  (Read 8060 times)

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah

I've suffered the same thing before, but I'm always happy to have that reply: it means my argument wins, and my oponent has nothing left to say on the subject. And I like winning as much as anyone else. xD

But if you need IC explanations for the voice corrections, you can always say it's a matter of accent or pronountiation or something like that.

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
  • I very speak engrish a bit, thank you!

I never considered "winning arguments" as part of RP. For me, RP is more study how my and other characters will act in different situations and answer to different questions. Will they go along with another characters or will go against them? "Winning arguments" is practically impossible, and when you try... well, you can think for yourself. I have told already several characters, that I was completely not interested in "winning" against them  ;)

I can say that actual winning arguments is a part of my job, and it assumes collecting real facts and proofs that can be verified. It is part of coming to understanding of how things works and both parties are interested in it. In roleplay this is not about making experiments and obtaining solid facts, but rather clash of ideas and views from different characters. Some characters can be soft and accept everything you say to them, others are stubborn and stiff like logs and will reflect all your words like tennis balls. But in the end they all are right.

As for the topic itself, I'm terribly sorry, because I feel myself as one of source of these situations. Luckily there are numerous online spell checkers and dictionaries, but it can be sometimes too hard to figure out proper word usage. Sometimes I just rely on my intuition without verifying what I write, and this is what I do wrong! Sorry again, I'll try to work harder~~

DeadRow

• Bit of a Dick
  • Omelette
  • Loyal to herself

It's a shitty way to try and win tbh.

Personally if their spelling in so bad I can't understand them I ask for them to repeat to try and give them a chance in case it was a brain derp (I get them a lot :D).
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2013, 05:08 by DeadRow »

[12:40:50] Kasuko Merin > He has this incredible talent for making posts at people that could be <i>literally</i> quoted straight back at him and still apply.

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing

if character A continually spells character B's name wrong, I think B calling them on spelling IC, is reasonable.

Normally, I don't correct my own spelling, on the occasions that I type something wrongly (usually because of being distracted, or from not pressing a key as firmly as I thought - more than one occasion I've hit the key with my nail, not my finger)
The Explanatory Leaflet is a Leaflet that Explains.

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah

I never considered "winning arguments" as part of RP. For me, RP is more study how my and other characters will act in different situations and answer to different questions. Will they go along with another characters or will go against them? "Winning arguments" is practically impossible, and when you try... well, you can think for yourself. I have told already several characters, that I was completely not interested in "winning" against them  ;)

I can say that actual winning arguments is a part of my job, and it assumes collecting real facts and proofs that can be verified. It is part of coming to understanding of how things works and both parties are interested in it. In roleplay this is not about making experiments and obtaining solid facts, but rather clash of ideas and views from different characters. Some characters can be soft and accept everything you say to them, others are stubborn and stiff like logs and will reflect all your words like tennis balls. But in the end they all are right.

I agree, but my char is one who likes to win debates as much as I do. That's a part of myself that got poured into him. xD So both things aren't incompatible, while I focus on the RP, on how he would react to this event or that opinion, who he relates to, what he does... he ends up debating publicly and trying to win. xD

Dame Death

• Very Bitter Vet
  • Wetgraver

As most people know my hands shake randomly and this leads to me making more typos then most, I've had most people including quite a few people thats posted in this thread icly say to eliza "Your damn accent" and have to say it does fucking annoy me, as doctors cant fix my hands and nor can I.

So yeh I agree with op if you can understand it just fucking go with it.

Lyn Farel

I also have reinstalled Chrome in english native version, so my spell checker is now enabled in english. It does not prevent every mistake, far from it, but it helps.

The most terrible thing for me is that english has so many bastard french roots that do not spell the same in both languages, or even worse, that does not mean the same actual thing, that it is sometimes a nightmare (like indépendant / independent, many adverbs that take two "m" or "l" in one language and a single one in another, "e" that disappear in english constantly like "développement / development or gouvernement / government, or even words coming from old french like connoisseur that have evolved since long in modern french - connaisseur, etc). So sometimes I tend to create new words that actually do not even exist, which is already embarrassing OOCly, so ICly it's even worse...

So yeah, that kind of thing is understandable and has justifications ICly (people do it IRL, so why not some characters ?), but it's really, really annoying on a pure OOC basis.

Korona

• Friendly Neighborhood Cultist
  • Clonejack

Whenever I see a post consisting of unnecessary grammar correction, my mind just changes their text to read "WTT Soul for RP Points"

There are very few instances where you would ever legitimately need someone to re-write or correct a post to make their point(s) understandable.
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2013, 18:32 by Korona »

"EoM is an anagram of emo for a reason, dude."

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey

To my shame, I didn't realize that RP interactions were audio or a/v communications for some time.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer

Places like 'Summit' it is sort of up to you what form you input and output communications in, I think.

Uraniae

• Wetgraver

It really depends on the setting for me.  If someone has made it clear they are communicating through a text marquee or something, I'll gladly make a light hearted poke at the occasional mistake.  "I would appreciate it if you use both hands to type while conversing with me."

If it's the more common audio or telepresence (Video, Holo, Virtuality) then I generally let typos slide IC.  I'll admit I'll poke fun OOC if it's a humorous typo, but again in a light hearted manner.  It's a rare situation where typos leave me totally clueless as to what someone is trying to say and in those situations a quick mail or private convo clear those things up quickly.

To be honest I sort of look at some of this the same way I look at native languages in EVE.  Yes, our translators can handle modern popular languages, but not only are they imperfect machines but they are also not going to be loaded with every minor dialect or turn of phrase.  On top of that, I have always perceived the translation itself to be somehow superimposed in the medium of communication.  If text it will outright replace the word or flag/highlight it as having potential alternate meanings.  In audio I assume Uraniae does indeed hear whatever language you are speaking and simply treats it as background noise behind her translator. 

Cynthia Gallente

• Bunnies
  • Wetgraver
  • Bunnies.

I hate to typo.  I hate even more when it's pointed out like some speech/text entry flaw.
Obvious use of the wrong word is different ofc.

Lyn Farel

« Last Edit: 16 Apr 2013, 08:58 by Lyn Farel »

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain

Just whip your typing slave each time someone mentions a spelling error IC. Most characters stop correcting you soon enough.

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain

I totally agree with Silas. +1
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5