Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The 'Heaven' constellation in Curse is the former location of the Third Jove Empire and the current headquarters of the vast Angel Cartel?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Typos and Spelling errors in RP, or 'I like reaching for low-hanging fruit'  (Read 8065 times)

Lyn Farel

Well then, there is also a big difference between people that should just get back to school because they can type 2 words without a mistake, and occasional typos. I assume that we still are speaking about the latter.

Of course, I am not refering to people afflicted by dyslexia and the likes.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting

I've tried to keep in mind that many podders have English as a second or third language.  As long as it doesn't devolve into txt spk im p chill.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Scherezad

• Clonejack

This is a problem that I often cringe at when I see someone correcting anothers' spelling or grammar on their space-face. For two reasons, myself. The first reason is really a rehash of what's been said above - it's just poor manners, really. This isn't a spelling bee, and we should forgive an occasional typo or poorly chosen word to facilitate good roleplay.

My second reason is, um, well. You see, I, uh, I can, um, well. My, um, sentences, they, they can, uh, well, tehy, um, well. Long, they're long. Sometimes. So, um, I, well. Fix, fixing, uh, typos, uh, it, well, its, uh, hard! And, um, duh, distracting! So, well. Yes.

I don't think anyone else has that problem, though, so that's more just me.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press

This is a problem that I often cringe at when I see someone correcting anothers' spelling or grammar on their space-face. For two reasons, myself. The first reason is really a rehash of what's been said above - it's just poor manners, really. This isn't a spelling bee, and we should forgive an occasional typo or poorly chosen word to facilitate good roleplay.

My second reason is, um, well. You see, I, uh, I can, um, well. My, um, sentences, they, they can, uh, well, tehy, um, well. Long, they're long. Sometimes. So, um, I, well. Fix, fixing, uh, typos, uh, it, well, its, uh, hard! And, um, duh, distracting! So, well. Yes.

They. :}
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Scherezad

• Clonejack

They. :}

See? This is the problem!

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain

Well then, there is also a big difference between people that should just get back to school because they can type 2 words without a mistake, and occasional typos. I assume that we still are speaking about the latter.

Of course, I am not refering to people afflicted by dyslexia and the likes.

Lyn, not everyone speaks/reads/writes english as well as you or I.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey

My experience is that non-native speakers of English tend to write as well as, and sometimes better than, some native English speakers.

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Lyn Farel

I don't, actually... I keep a tab on wordreference open at most times because I am most of the time checking or looking for a specific word. I make a lot of spelling mistakes due to ethymological differences.

I was mostly referring to people making at least 2 mistakes per word. But anyway I shouldn't have derailed the thread on that. It's the grammar nazi inside me.

EDIT : I have rarely met those types of people in Eve RP, really, which is quite nice. It's more something you will find in some random local or in other parts of the internet.
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2013, 17:42 by Lyn Farel »

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

My experience is that non-native speakers of English tend to write as well as, and sometimes better than, some native English speakers.

I usually see this, aside from specific grammar hang-ups, like dropped prepositions ("I'll explain you" rather than "I'll explain to you").

It's not always the case, though.

Reiterating what I said on the first page, though - I'm less fussed over minor spelling mistakes or "incorrect" word choices. Morwen might make a joke about it under the guise of it being a translation error.

But if your spelling errors are due to you willfully rushing through and deliberately not making any effort to try to type coherently instead of just flailing at the keyboard like a two-year-old slaps the tray on his/her high chair at dinner, expect no mercy.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette

Occasional typos or grammar mistakes are entirely forgivable.

Just please stop using "I could care less" as an expression for not caring. As always, David Mitchell (and by extension the Queen of England) says it better than I can: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw

Also, double negatives, people. If there "ain't no cure for love", that means there is a cure.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread

* Ché Biko jently pets Katla on teh beck > Their, they're.

Edit: Wow, there's a fricking emote code? This forum rules! :P :cube:
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2013, 14:02 by Ché Biko »
-OOChé

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread

Yanala's death report made me browse through some logs, and I found this:
[ 2013.03.22 12:16:14 ] Rojo Solette > Visera Yanala you shall be my torphy you caldari scum
[ 2013.03.22 12:16:44 ] Visera Yanala > Mr Solette, how do you intend to collect your "trophy" when you're unable to even correctly spell the word?

I guess she wasn't above going for the low-hanging fruit. :lol:
-OOChé

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey

I discovered that myself earlier today. Very cool.

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette

A couple years ago, I made fun of an Amarr Navy event actor for repeatedly saying "Kahnid".

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire

The population of Rouge drones is also remarkably high. I suspect Gallente burlesque shenanigans.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5