Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The system Old Man Star is named for the lone crew member who survived a sub-light trip there to set up a stargate?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: State of Caldari FW  (Read 16316 times)

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
Re: State of Caldari FW
« Reply #75 on: 24 Apr 2011, 10:03 »

The mutual war thread has taken an interesting turn.

SotF stated they sometimes fly alongside WBR outside the warzone.  All kinds of militia drama.

Chowda

• Egger
« Reply #76 on: 24 Apr 2011, 17:37 »

I saw that on their KB yesterday.  Seems they go carrier hunting.

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #77 on: 24 Apr 2011, 19:50 »

I don't think even the Liberals would go for blue ops with the Gallente while at war with them.   'Liberal' for the Caldari doesn't mean they share principles with say American Liberals.   All being Liberal means, is that they prefer in free-ish trade (not true free trade).  

Yes, a key principle of free trade is that both sides benefit from it - but the liberals don't buy into because they want all sides to benefit.    They support free trade because it's the best way for them to prosper.   That the Gallente benefit is an unfortunate side effect.

« Last Edit: 24 Apr 2011, 20:12 by Hamish Grayson »

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #78 on: 24 Apr 2011, 22:06 »

The Practicals might. If there was enough of a profit to be made. Then again they would most likely want deniability which a KB cant provide so maybe not.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Shaalira

• Egger
« Reply #79 on: 24 Apr 2011, 23:13 »

One thing to keep in mind is that the game mechanics behind FW makes the involved corporations essentially glorified privateers and mercenaries.  Registering with the militia is the equivalent of a Letter of Marque, permitting them to freely engage and destroy capsuleer vessels bearing the enemy flag without the usual CONCORD interference.  The Empires maintain their loyalty largely by highly lucrative contractual work against non-capsuleer targets, i.e. FW mission-running.

As with their historical forebears, there is a very thin line between privateers and pirates.  Many members of the FW militias engage in opportune piracy when the chance presents itself.

There is a wide range of behavior, of course.  Some FW militia corps style themselves as military units and professional private contractors.  Some also stick to anti-pirate or NRDS policies.   Some FW corps behave as loyalists to the faction they fight for, others merely pay lip service to their side, and others still are unabashed about being mercenaries in it for the isk and kills.

When seen from this angle, very few of the FW antics are immersion-breaking.  It's not unexpected that a privateer would cloak their actions with the veneer of government-sanctioned legitimacy, even if their actual behavior is that of a well-paid pirate.  From this perspective, it's also not unusual for mercenaries working for opposing sides to collaborate without the consent/knowledge of their respective employers.

Boma Airaken

• Egger
« Reply #80 on: 24 Apr 2011, 23:38 »

The Practicals might. If there was enough of a profit to be made. Then again they would most likely want deniability which a KB cant provide so maybe not.

Post. This one. Yours. Made my night.

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #81 on: 25 Apr 2011, 00:19 »

Well I-RED has yet to do a joint fleet with the Gallente against Caldari Militia (KOS Militia corps like W-BR/THE4), and I doubt we will have to with the war turning into our favour.. as slow as it is going. We have done one op against pirates in Tama (Goon Feds), as for the Gallente internal problems.. its something I was not expecting.

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #82 on: 25 Apr 2011, 06:47 »

Post. This one. Yours. Made my night.

Glad I could help.  :D

I thought about this a bit more and another thought occured to me. When I was in militia on Ember we did a few joint ops with the Gallente to clear pirates that poached both sides in Tama and a few other places as well. They were mostly done OOCly just so we could keep the warzone clear of pie's or if it was a sufficient target of opportunity to warrant such actions like a carrier or a large fleet with some faction ship kills to be had.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #83 on: 25 Apr 2011, 07:21 »

I think Shaalira captures the sentiment pretty well.

Bureeiku

• Blake Rathen
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #84 on: 25 Apr 2011, 15:14 »

Yes it goes fine with the idea of honor among pir... err, privateers, as the militias are explained above by Shaalira (I like!).  But for those in FW who want to roleplay the idealistic national soldier and advertise as the 'good guys' fighting for the only 'noble cause' in the cluster, etc., they get into a bit of a pickle, no? 

I'd be impressed if the nationalistic fervor is just a smokescreen, and I'll have to look it over again to see if the option is still open to it, but I have a feeling it is not.

It's likely my poor understanding of how the CEP and State Pro relate, but I have a difficult time figuring out how to interact with privateers who hold up their letters of marque and declare they are the more noble or patriotic pilot...  not that it's in any way wrong, I just find it tricky to navigate.  ;)

I will try interacting with FW pilots as if they were fringe national mercs and we'll see how it goes. 

In any case, while I find slinging accusations on IGS makes for boring diplomacy, at least it makes for interesting combat.  :yar:

Svetlana Scarlet

• Omelette
« Reply #85 on: 26 Apr 2011, 09:15 »

It's worth noting that you can be a privateer and a national hero -- Sir Francis Drake is a good example.

Chowda

• Egger
« Reply #86 on: 26 Apr 2011, 15:22 »

Well I-RED has yet to do a joint fleet with the Gallente against Caldari Militia (KOS Militia corps like W-BR/THE4), and I doubt we will have to with the war turning into our favour.. as slow as it is going.
If anyone wants to keep track:

http://killboard.wolfsbrigade.org/?a=cc_detail&ctr_id=1&view=recent_activity

I do find it odd your alliance has been defending Federation Navy installations.  I know, I know,  wardecs in a mission plex visible on everyone's overview.  But where's the arr-pee? ;) 

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #87 on: 26 Apr 2011, 15:24 »

The RP is simply enough explained "They just happened to be in a FedNav installation, and so did we"

The Feds and Ishukone have some prisoner exchange thing going on, and Heth has accused Ishukone of collaborating with the FIO Etc.

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #88 on: 26 Apr 2011, 20:51 »

Well I-RED has yet to do a joint fleet with the Gallente against Caldari Militia (KOS Militia corps like W-BR/THE4), and I doubt we will have to with the war turning into our favour.. as slow as it is going.
If anyone wants to keep track:

http://killboard.wolfsbrigade.org/?a=cc_detail&ctr_id=1&view=recent_activity

I do find it odd your alliance has been defending Federation Navy installations.  I know, I know,  wardecs in a mission plex visible on everyone's overview.  But where's the arr-pee? ;) 

The last engagement was on a gate, also we have only 2 kills in Federal Plex's (1 Vagabond, 1 Manticore.) The Gallente Militia just happened to be chasing W-BR fleet so we cut them off.

Bureeiku

• Blake Rathen
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #89 on: 02 May 2011, 07:41 »

It's worth noting that you can be a privateer and a national hero -- Sir Francis Drake is a good example.

Heheh, I like the opening line in the wikipedia file: "Sir Francis Drake, Vice Admiral (1540 – 27 January 1596) was an English sea captain, privateer, navigator, slaver, a renowned pirate, and a politician of the Elizabethan era."  What a CV!

Seems he did conduct his privateering prior to the 'undeclared' Anglo-Spanish war.  Bit of a different situation, but then he was a fleet commander at later points in the war, and did not only privateer. 
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8