Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Evanda Char started life as humble mechanic?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Clarification on nature of clothing  (Read 1864 times)

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
Clarification on nature of clothing
« on: 01 Jul 2011, 08:44 »

I find this post helpful as it cleared up a misconception I had: http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1532513&page=1#29

So you can't pod someone and destroy their clothes/monocle. I guess that means they're still quasi-nekkid bukakekeke in the capsule. \o/

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
Re: Clarification on nature of clothing
« Reply #1 on: 01 Jul 2011, 08:54 »

Doesn't make sense from an immersion standpoint, but I personally would never buy clothing for RL cash if I could lose it every time I undock.

Best way to explain it away, imo, is to say the clothing companies will supply you with free replacements if your set is destroyed. If your set is 'lost', meaning it drops with your wreck or is somewhere among the mangled wreckage of your ship's cargo hangar (dropped or destroyed), they can't furnish a replacement. Only if it's carried in your pod. :D

Laria Raven

• Evil. In a dappy way. Kind of dappy-evil.
  • Wetgraver
    • All Alone In The Night
« Reply #2 on: 01 Jul 2011, 08:58 »

I'm rather fond of the idea that you don't buy the item of clothing, you buy a service that provides it  to every station that you visit, under any circumstances.

Saede Riordan > Yeah and Leopold is the human pond scum. Laria's alright...ish.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #3 on: 01 Jul 2011, 09:05 »

I'm rather fond of the idea that you don't buy the item of clothing, you buy a service that provides it  to every station that you visit, under any circumstances.

This is, it doesn't. The item goes in your hangar. If you leave it in your hangar, you can't put it on in another station.

I guess it could be like, a voucher that you bring with you? But that stops making any sense at all when you look at things like the monocle or the eye implant thingie.

CCP: "Fuck immersion, placate customers"

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #4 on: 01 Jul 2011, 09:18 »

Storyline and gameplay segregation. Makes sense to me.

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #5 on: 01 Jul 2011, 09:22 »

The way I read it is: there is one item of clothing you buy, for instance, a shirt. You take that shirt with you to whatever station you want, assuming it doesn't get blown up in your cargo. You can only put that shirt on at that station. When you enter the pod, you're not wearing the outfit, so why would it blow up there?

Makes perfect sense from both a gameplay and immersion sense, to me anyway.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #6 on: 01 Jul 2011, 10:10 »

The way I read it is: there is one item of clothing you buy, for instance, a shirt. You take that shirt with you to whatever station you want, assuming it doesn't get blown up in your cargo. You can only put that shirt on at that station. When you enter the pod, you're not wearing the outfit, so why would it blow up there?

Makes perfect sense from both a gameplay and immersion sense, to me anyway.

Then where did the shirt go while you're flying? Or do you have on in every single station? But it only appears in one hangar when you're not wearing it? (I may be mistaken here, my impression was that you could only put on clothing that you had in that station's hangar, and when you take it off, it goes into the hangar of the current station)

Still messes with the more implant-y things like the monocle.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 01 Jul 2011, 10:44 »

Maybe it gets express-shipped by InterBus?

Nonsense, of course, but can anybody come up with a better explanation?

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 01 Jul 2011, 10:47 »

I was aware of this since... I dunno, shortly before patch day, I think. Damned if I can remember where I read it, though.  :oops:

Anyhow, immersion aside (and I think it's more or less agreed now that Incarna is a masssive immersion killer in general), I agree with doing this under the current model, but still would have much preferred considerably lower-cost items with proportionally more ways to loose them to balance it out.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #9 on: 01 Jul 2011, 11:08 »

As I understand it, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, clothing is an item that can only be equipped when in the same station. No need for Interbus theories.

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
« Reply #10 on: 01 Jul 2011, 12:03 »

You all seem to be forgetting that if you clone jump, you don't get your clothes you were wearing. Which is what seriously pisses me off.

It's like you have a warrant that if you get podded you get your clothes replaced but if you move bodies you're on your own.

(Aside from the high prices, this is the biggest thing stopping me from buying custom clothes, or use my Fanfest shirt on Myrhial. I JC around quite a bit.)

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 01 Jul 2011, 14:00 »

It's not so much getting your clothes "replaced" as that they were never there in the first place (in the pod). Although for implants that is kind of weird.

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #12 on: 01 Jul 2011, 15:11 »

You sure about that, Myhial? Because that would mean I could be wearing a different outfit than the one in my character portrait.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #13 on: 01 Jul 2011, 15:19 »

Clone jumping does not preserve your appearance. Your new clone at this station will be created based on your officially registered DNA and body state, not on your current body. Any apparel you may be wearing will be delivered to your hangar. Do you wish to proceed?

is a message you get ingame.
\o/

Kemekk

• Amarrian Ultranationalist
  • Wetgraver
  • Dei ta Reshios
« Reply #14 on: 01 Jul 2011, 18:10 »

Doesn't make sense from an immersion standpoint, but I personally would never buy clothing for RL cash if I could lose it every time I undock.

Best way to explain it away, imo, is to say the clothing companies will supply you with free replacements if your set is destroyed. If your set is 'lost', meaning it drops with your wreck or is somewhere among the mangled wreckage of your ship's cargo hangar (dropped or destroyed), they can't furnish a replacement. Only if it's carried in your pod. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNWWxD-q-bg

Pilots are naked in pods.
Pages: [1] 2