Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That docked frigates are hooked in with massive electromagnetic anchors? (The Burning Life p. 75)

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23

Author Topic: Skyrim  (Read 48242 times)

Desiderya

Re: Skyrim
« Reply #270 on: 06 Dec 2011, 11:18 »

On the technical side I haven't much to complain. I think I've encountered two CTDs in quite a lot of hours played, so that's nothing truly massive.
Have gotten stuck once, which - given the size of the world and the endless possibilities for stuckiness to appear - isn't too bad either.
Corpses have a certain habitus of bobbing and splashing on the water all the time, which is slightly disturbing and bloddy annoying.

Bugs, yes, there are some out there. I've made it a habit to quicksave before enchanting, because I had it happen way too often that after enchanting 29 iron daggers I end up stuck on the screen. Sometimes saving and reloading that save helps getting unstuck, sometimes not.
Quest dialogues that get screwed up and make some quests impossible to complete or start happend to me once or twice, too, which is pretty damn annoying.

Imbalances: The "levelling the wrong stuff" has the possibility to hurt, but then there's not much that doesn't help you in combat in one way or the other ( Speech comes to mind ). I haven't had much problems there. Also sneak on my khajit is working perfectly. It does get cheesy sometimes when you sneak up to someone, stab him twice, then run away through half of the dungeon until he looses you, only to repeat that two or three times more. However, I'm glad that I can loose enemies by running away and hiding, even if it's a bit unrealistic from time to time. Also a bit weird: Fire sneakily an arrow at someone. Miss it, and have the arrow hit the wall two feet behind him. See the enemy stare at that wall for 10 seconds, figuring what has happened. Overall the AI has improved massively from Oblivion but as you expect it, it's still miles away from being perfect - which is an impossible task anyway.

I have a gripe with some imbalanced perk trees, mainly with smithing. Heavy dragon armor is weaker than deadric - okay, it's at least easier to get. But I dislike massively that the 'light armor' smithing tree only offers the third best weapons.

Overall it is a nice gaming experience. Although I'm having a lot of fun with playing different characters ( and pursueing different goals ) over playing one super-character that does everything.

DA5UN

• Wetgraver
  • Even drones can fly away
« Reply #271 on: 06 Dec 2011, 15:59 »

At this point the game will probably take me forever to complete as my attention span has me able to do about one or two dungeons every time I decide to sit down and play it. Not a bad thing.

Also.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #272 on: 06 Dec 2011, 16:05 »

I have yet to put any perks in lockpicking, and I can still open most locks with only one or two picks. I think I did lose ten picks on a master lock once...

Is there a big advantage if you do put perks into lockpicking?
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #273 on: 06 Dec 2011, 16:07 »

None. Most worthless tree of them all. I haven't put a single perk in that tree on any of my characters and I open Master locks with four picks or less. I literally can't run out of lockpicks. I open -everything- I see without a single perk point on all my characters, without ever buying a single lockpick... and I just get more and more lockpicks! JESUS!

Misan

• Shady Thukker & Ninja Admin
  • Pod Captain
    • Serious Thukking Business - Blog
« Reply #274 on: 06 Dec 2011, 16:43 »

I don't even go out of my way to get lockpicks on my distinctly non-sneaky Nordling and he averages around 70 at all times.
EVE Blog and Project Status: on hold -- busy being Thukker-esque IRL.
Twitter
What I'm busy with, if you're curious.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #275 on: 06 Dec 2011, 16:46 »

Here's my opinion on the lockpick tree...

It's way useful if you're lockpicking to get places you aren't supposed to be. You sneak into a wealthy man's estate, the first lock is a little sticky, no big deal, you have Wax Key. Now, you don't even have to sneak around while he's asleep, you can just wait until his radial AI tells him to leave the house. Turns out he had a wife? Ain't no thang, no one notices your lockpicking because you got the perk. Oh swag, he kept his whole stock of gold in the house, and you have the "extra gold" perk.

Now, if you're like me and you only need to pick trap locks so you don't get poison darts in the face, or to get through a dungeon a little easier, the lockpick skill itself will take good care of you, no perks required.

That's my two septims, anyway.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

DA5UN

• Wetgraver
  • Even drones can fly away
« Reply #276 on: 06 Dec 2011, 17:02 »

You can still kill something with only destruction spells and you don't need to have any points in destruction, but it would be easier and you may find it more beneficial if you do.

You can still pick master locks without any points in lockpicking, but it would be easier and you may find it more beneficial if you do.

* Kiruss Dasun repeats this for all the skill trees.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #277 on: 06 Dec 2011, 17:18 »

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #278 on: 06 Dec 2011, 19:33 »

You can still kill something with only destruction spells and you don't need to have any points in destruction, but it would be easier and you may find it more beneficial if you do.

You can still pick master locks without any points in lockpicking, but it would be easier and you may find it more beneficial if you do.

Bit different in my view. Destruction spells without any of the perks are much less useful than destruction spells with all the reductions in mana use. Sneak perks make sneak much more useful.

What I was asking is whether the perks in Lockpicking are worth the opportunity cost of not having those same perk points in armour/weapons/magic?
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #279 on: 07 Dec 2011, 05:44 »

They're really not. They add nothing to my thief, assassin, juggernaut, arch-mage and so on, and they all use lockpicking regularly.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #280 on: 07 Dec 2011, 15:21 »

I can see one place where having major lockpicking know-how could be be exceedingly useful: busting out of the clink.

If my (one) experience is typical, upon being imprisoned you are able, as in Oblivion, to hide a single lockpick on your person. Now, if the locks are any good, that lockpick is as good as no lockpick at all: it'll probably break before you find even the edge of the sweet spot-- unless, that is, you have strong lockpicking perks.

... and for sure success, you'd best be Johnny NeverBreaksAPick.

Or you could just align your stars to The Tower, and walk out whistling a song.

In any case-- maybe useful to thems as likes taking tours of jails. Otherwise, not so much. I couldn't bring myself to take the lockpicking perks even on my thief.

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #281 on: 07 Dec 2011, 23:18 »

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #282 on: 07 Dec 2011, 23:26 »

When y'all get an eyeful of my Skyrim-inspired armor, you gonna be so jelly. :V
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever