Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Aldrith Shutaq was once court poet and author in the service of the Etranhi Holders on Mishi IV? Read more here.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: BREAKING NEWS: THE EMPIRES CALL FOR AID  (Read 18146 times)

Makoto Priano

Re: BREAKING NEWS: THE EMPIRES CALL FOR AID
« Reply #45 on: 07 Nov 2013, 14:22 »

MOAR CUSHIONS.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #46 on: 07 Nov 2013, 14:33 »

Yay, 1h and a half travel through tidi 10%, lucky me, I was just on time but the Sarum fleet left way sooner so I was late and avoided the total annihilation at the Doril chokepoint.

Apparently PL and Razor got their loot pinata farming players, since internal affairs forbids to feed more than standard T2 equipement, let's feed them with players instead !

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #47 on: 07 Nov 2013, 14:50 »

Razor has literally no influence anywhere, let alone at CCP.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Lyn Farel

« Reply #48 on: 07 Nov 2013, 14:59 »

It doesnt really change the fact that this was basically a crude way, unintended or not, to send players into nullsec to be farmed.

Which was to be expected anyway, since the destination systems leaked a few hours before (great idea CCP). And people that committed to come through loyalism to their factions where pretty screwed since they HAD to go.

Why the hell not using a jumpbridge or something instead of sending players into that meat grinder ?

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #49 on: 07 Nov 2013, 15:01 »

They wanted players to show up to defend the pirates.

However, they never said "What pirates?", and once we figured it out WE, at least, went "Nope, not showing up."
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
« Reply #50 on: 07 Nov 2013, 15:03 »

:Narrative:

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #51 on: 07 Nov 2013, 15:07 »

So, event is now effectively over.

lulz.

How does this compare with the CP event in terms of charlie foxtrots?

I'm getting the idea that when CCP calls for an all-hands-on-deck event, we should just pull up the covers and hide.

This was bad. Very bad. Caldari Prime was chaotic and while many couldn't get to the ultimate fight, a great many more did (something like 1500, IIRC?). A coherent narrative could still be developed, partially because players were still constrained by CONCORD up until the end. Here, though, most of both empire-aligned fleets were wiped out before they even managed to get there. The only 'narrative' was desperately trying to run a well-prepared blockade only to smash into further brick walls.

Here are some more specific issues described:

- Formup and path systems were not on reinforced nodes. Even 200 players were sending them into fits of 10% tidi, let alone 500-700 players. This massively slowed down any movement by the Empire group, turning what should have been a fairly short journey into an exceedingly long one.
- Nullsec entry points were announced beforehand. Entry into nullsec is never an easy matter, but when you announce it beforehand and then take a long time getting there (see above) it's making a bad situation worse.
- At least one (maybe both) of the routes went through 'hot' nullsec zones. Doril is the staging system for at least one major null alliance, meaning they didn't even have to move to set up a well-prepared camp. Can't speak for FD-, though it was camped by the time the Empire group got there as well.

The remainder of the empire block was met at the site of the lab by a well-prepared faction BS actor group. These only needed to prevent the lab structure from being killed for a couple of minutes before it was declared a victory in their favor. In Syndicate, enough empire people got through to make it a decent fight, but in FMOC it was apparently never really in question that the defenders would hold.

Edit:
NEW TWIST! People are now reporting the structures may have been unkillable.
« Last Edit: 07 Nov 2013, 15:16 by Esna Pitoojee »
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #52 on: 07 Nov 2013, 15:14 »

Disclaimer: I was not there.

As I noted on another forum, if the event is public (like all CCP event will need to be), the target system would leak anyway, and by the time the more clueless figure out where they'd need to go, any actually organized party is going to be ready. The clear-cut stencils ("Empires" and "Pirates") would probably hint that the parameters for the event were not designed by anyone caring about the lore. While technically the target regions make sense from a lore point of view, from the practical point of view they made none. I kind of hope marketing ordered a "cops vs. robbers mass event in null" and the poor bastards who were made to organize it simply chose plausibly deniable destinations designed to get the event to fail as miserably as possible. (And I count myself as a kind of a CCP fanboy here.)

I admit that I haven't been able to play a lot of late due to real life concerns (i.e. I haven't played in half a year), but last I was around, a fleet of 50 was probably enough to put hisec systems into TiDi. So no surprises that the first live event in ages gathers a crowd and servers go weep in the corner.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
« Reply #53 on: 07 Nov 2013, 15:19 »

- Formup and path systems were not on reinforced nodes. Even 200 players were sending them into fits of 10% tidi, let alone 500-700 players. This massively slowed down any movement by the Empire group, turning what should have been a fairly short journey into an exceedingly long one.

Let me know if they forget to reinforce the node as 3000 people attempt to pile into 2 systems.

You mean they actually did forget? My god ._.
« Last Edit: 07 Nov 2013, 15:31 by kalaratiri »

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #54 on: 07 Nov 2013, 15:27 »

The paths were 20+ jumps, I understand. Two of them, in the matter of fact. So even if the target systems were reinforced, the fleets were large enough that they'd cause TiDi in hisec more or less by simply sitting still (or at least if travelling). I guess CCP's engineers could have hand-picked the entire path on the single node, not sure if they have premade tools for that. I believe the amount of people who got into the target systems weren't really significant in terms of server load? (Perhaps except in Syndicate?)

Denak Kalamari

• Naked Squid
  • Wetgraver
  • Failing at humor
« Reply #55 on: 07 Nov 2013, 15:31 »

I went there myself, RP be damned. Thanks to coordination with my corporation I managed to get ahead of the major group and dodge most of the TiDi, I even managed to squeeze through the gatecamps in my tiny frigate. But then I faced a wall of Goons and Syndicate pirates in a tiny frigate and got quickly popped, while everyone else was being slaughtered in the gatecamps.

I seriously question why they decided to get people to stage in a system, and then make a horrible 10% TiDi trip through known hotspots only to get slaughtered in a gatecamp. Not to mention that we got virtually no orders from the supposed organizers at all unlike we were lead to believe from the news articles, and so the offensive side coordination was next to nothing.

They had a good idea, but it was very, very poorly executed, and a lot of people are left pissed now.

\   /
One Soldier // Two Faces
Grahisha of the ILF, writer of Thoughts of a Clone Soldier

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #56 on: 07 Nov 2013, 15:33 »

Confirming that even those who actually got to the structure were unable to damage it; all shots landed for 0.0 damage.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Kaldor Mintat

• Egger
« Reply #57 on: 07 Nov 2013, 15:42 »

From Meves to Stacmon i had 10% Tidi the first 5 jumps and that was with 450-500 in local. When i still had 4 jumps to Stamon the first few had in fact reached the target destination. when i left Stacmon local was getting to 600 or 700 (can not really recall more exact) with some poeple saying "screw this" and alot wondering where they where supposed to go from there.

Despite the TiDi trip (not all in vain since i got a fair bit into War and Peace for once) i still reached the target way ahead of the vast majority, most of which never even got near the target system at all.

Now, personally, i fully expected it to turn out like it did so have no rage about it. we took it as a nice corp outing and fully expected to die. But on the other hand these kind of killfarming events (because lets be blunt, thats all they are) does not really create much interest in me for future events.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
« Reply #58 on: 07 Nov 2013, 15:49 »

There is a very angry thread running in the Live Events Discussion forum: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=293869

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #59 on: 07 Nov 2013, 15:52 »

Was the structure a POS type object or an actual station that has existed in space for a while?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11