Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the Fleet Coordination Commission or FCORD was created in direct response to Nation Incursions. It main purpose is to alert of Incursions and help marshal fleets to repel them.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: What bothers you about your own roleplay?  (Read 6928 times)

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette
What bothers you about your own roleplay?
« on: 29 Apr 2013, 21:33 »

It's said that we're all our own worst critics. While that's probably not as true as one would like to think, I'd feel pretty confident in saying that most people have things about their own writing that  drive them up the wall, or atleast bug them a little bit, and that certainly extends to roleplay, as well.

But. Both for the sake of personal comfort and self-improvement, I find it often helps to talk about that sort of thing. So, what about your own roleplay, either in terms of just little quirks or overall style, annoys you the most?

For me, personally, there's always been two things.

1. I'm a slow typist. Not massively so, but enough that in fast paced roleplay - Especially one with a lot of participants - I usually end up falling behind, or having my character frequently cut off in the middle of their points because people assume I've finished. In order to try and compensate for this, I often end up typing everything my character has in mind to say in one big block of probably slightly obnoxious text as opposed to breaking it down into smaller, better-flowing chunks, which frequently does more harm then good when the topic has already shifted forward. Or, alternatively, rushing faster then I can manage, and forgetting/misusing words.

2. I tend to repeat myself. Not in the sense that I'll literally say the same two things twice, but rather that I'm prone to getting fixed on a few lead-in's and lead-out's in any given session. For instance, I might start three posts in a row with my character saying "Well, I..." or several finishing with "...you know?" I also might just use a descriptive word an excessive number of times. And somehow, I don't notice any of this until I'm looking back after the fact and wishing I had some sort of time-warping edit button.

I suppose both of those are largely broad issues, but feel free to talk about how you feel limited by your own character, or anything more specific, as well.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
Re: What bothers you about your own roleplay?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2013, 21:46 »

About the only real issue I run into is my characters are almost always built around messianic principles or Big-Damn-Hero objectives. Down-to-earth persons and the like is not really in my field, even when I want to try it out on the occasion.

A second issue may be simply I cannot keep up with large roleplay scenes when they're in motion. I feel roleplay is best done one to one or in a group of four to five. Public roleplay defaults to a preaching mechanic to me, since there is no way to adequately engage many people at once vying for your attention...
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2013, 22:16 »

Most of the time I'm having a great time.

Sometimes I get sucked into conversations after being a particularly sanctimonious IC ass or comment, etc....and have to tough it out and follow it through resulting arguments even though the entire time I want to ooc punch her in the face so she will shut. up. 

I also don't get enough quiet moments with one or two people, but many of the people I'd wish to speak with ends up being un-possible due to politics.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2013, 22:36 »

I think what bothers me most about my own roleplay of Katrina has to be that sometimes I wish she was more traditional, more of the Caldari Hero archetype instead of the eccentric type. I play off the former well enough in public, I think, but behind closed doors (and to the eyes of a few friends), she is quite lacking in traditional Caldari stereotypes.

I just brush it off as 'preachers daughter' syndrome. She was raised in Hyasyoda, who are extremely conservative and traditional even by Caldari standards. Now that she's Ishukone, she's sort of letting it all hang out and going wild.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #4 on: 29 Apr 2013, 22:38 »

I have one more card to play, then there's nothing left but Being Old and Stately. Said card is almost guaranteed to fail.

Anything else depends on CCP interaction, and that's sure sign of a shitty plan from the start. When I kicked things off though, it seemed that interaction would be a real and constant thing, where properly placed folk could tip certain balances. This was not accurate, and too many decisions from the beginning were based on it.

I left several breadcrumbs to a plot that would allow anyone to force me to fall completely, and I was determined to allow anyone to do so, to make it non-consensual on my part. The only attempts to follow up on it were quelled, ironically, out of a concern for annoying me OOC, and were unnoticed or forgotten from that point on.

Near a decade was spent building up a respectable and trustworthy reputation and networks of assets and allies. I have literally nothing to spend such capital towards. Since Amarr RP now is 'win FW', and nothing I had on tap could help with that, said assets have deteriorated without any effort to abate it.  I have no will to rebuild a weapon that will never be fired.

IC-wise, Grae is respected greatly, but has no real power; he is feared but for no real reason; he has a thousand acquaintances, but none left who are loyal. Many characters are happy to interact with him, and do so often, but only with his exterior self, his title and position. None are left in EVE who actually know the guy at all.

He's outlived his enemies, but everyone else that mattered as well. It is not the victory he hoped for, and his dear Empire is absolutely none the better for it, or any of his efforts. His public RP is centered around portraying a has-been who is the only one who knows how completely he's failed.

« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2013, 22:47 by Graelyn »

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2013, 22:40 »

He's outlived his enemies, but everyone else that mattered as well. It is not the victory he hoped it would be.

How very poignant.   :cry:

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 29 Apr 2013, 22:42 »

Well. More breadcrumbs, please.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #7 on: 29 Apr 2013, 22:44 »

Victory has defeated you, Cardinal.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 29 Apr 2013, 22:48 »

Getting Aria's language down out of the clouds and cutting off trade routes with the Land of Ten Dollar Words would help things a good bit-- especially since Aria's voice influences my OOC writing.

Poetry is fine. Needless verbosity is not. Maybe getting shot a few times will help bring her back in contact with the ground.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 29 Apr 2013, 22:48 »

First off: Damn, Grae. That was good.

Second: Biggest thing that bugs me is that I often end up doing multiple things at once (talking in a few channels, running something besides EVE, handling RL stuff...) and as a result my RP is oftentimes slow; anyone who has ever RPed with me can attest that my response time varies between "5 seconds" and "5 minutes". It's something I'd really like to change, but the ability to (and frankly, the actual conditions for) focusing being able to devote my attention to a single RP continues to elude me.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 29 Apr 2013, 22:50 »

Aww, I like verbosity, Aria. :)

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Creep

• Omelette
« Reply #11 on: 29 Apr 2013, 22:59 »

The people I interact with do not appreciate my Role Play. To their credit, however, most do the "oh, uh, we're roleplaying? uh, yes, how dare you seize my vessel?! I will have the Space Police Concordiate thing on your head, criminal!" or "Yarr, tis I who shall be absconding with your goods and ISK, fellow pirate!", so that's always nice.
But it does limit my ability to show depth of character.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 29 Apr 2013, 23:01 »

Aww, I like verbosity, Aria. :)

I, too, have a soft place in my heart for it ... which is a problem. I belong to a profession that has a deserved reputation for it, and is (wisely) trying to shed that reputation. There's not a lot you can say in Legalese that doesn't come out just as well, and with a lot less ink, in plain old English, the odd bit of Latin aside.

The fact that Aria uses complex phrasing and jargon as filters to limit how many critics can make their way through the maze demonstrates her arrogance more than her aspired-to wisdom. She doesn't want to have to deal with the plebeians.

Also: your own problem is almost enviable. Depending on how you look at it, Graelyn's problems are a base for excellent, quasi-tragic characterization. I'm impressed.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 29 Apr 2013, 23:25 »

Thanks, but you can probably imagine how completely un-interesting it is to play.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #14 on: 29 Apr 2013, 23:52 »

I feel an issue I have is that I often feel like Saede bounces back and forth between polarities, either being extremely professional and sharp, or extremely odd, trollish, and casual. I feel like there is a medium between the two I want to be hitting between those extremes, but I often find I am unable. I'm not sure if this is a failure on my part as a roleplayer, or if that is just the direction the character has evolved in. I mean, if people are okay with her like that its not really a problem, but I worry it will just make my RP look inconsistent.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5