Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Blood Raider recruits are trained in close-quarters combat before tactics and starship combat? (The Burning Life, p. 54)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Firing a salvo  (Read 11406 times)

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
Re: Firing a salvo
« Reply #75 on: 10 Nov 2010, 07:56 »

The PF of politics in the Senate is set on the Power Politics chron, which mentions three parties, the Progressive, Sociocrat, and Unionists, though of course the Unionists have no stated public policy other than "We have Minmatar".

Emelena Morro, the character that created the Salutations thread, is the 'chairwoman' of the party of now-former President Foiritan. That's similar to saying you're the House Chamberlain of the Kador Royal Family in the Empire.

The Nats aren't a prime fiction party. Wouldn't it be probable that their views were incorporated into Senator Blaque's party, the Sociocrats?

Vieve

« Reply #76 on: 10 Nov 2010, 10:53 »

The Nats aren't a prime fiction party. Wouldn't it be probable that their views were incorporated into Senator Blaque's party, the Sociocrats?

Hmm.  Here I was operating under the belief that the Nats were Luc Duvailer's old party.  I'm almost certain that there's PF around that suggested that idea to me when I was working up the Old Meritocrats, whose remnants in Mies would so kick the ass of any offworlders shuttled in to undermine their local pastry manufacturers.

Syylara/Yaansu

• Egger
« Reply #77 on: 10 Nov 2010, 14:57 »

Emelena Morro, the character that created the Salutations thread, is the 'chairwoman' of the party of now-former President Foiritan. That's similar to saying you're the House Chamberlain of the Kador Royal Family in the Empire.

Okay, and if someone rolled up an alt, created a corp called "Chamberlain of House Kador" and started making statements on IGS that generated some interesting and controversial (ICly) RP that brought enjoyment to Amarr and Minmatar RPers...why would that be a bad thing, exactly?

I absolutely understand the desire to make sure that emergent content we create doesn't explicitly contradict CCP literature.  Where I disagree is when no contributions can be made where the lore is largely silent or gives room for various interpretations within the constructs already present (which I think we can all agree are often very ambiguous and loosely defined).  There's a nice middle ground where you can add to the lore without trampling on it.

If you feel that something generated from this is specifically erroneous, then lets address it.  Other than that, I have never in my adult life bought into the "something might go wrong or someone might abuse an exercise of freedom, therefor we should suppress it entirely" line of thinking.

Altaen

• Clonejack
    • Molden Heath Community
« Reply #78 on: 10 Nov 2010, 16:58 »

There's a nice middle ground where you can add to the lore without trampling on it.

Well said! And, it seems that there is now some precedent for player-created information to be made Prime Fiction...so let's keep the good stuff coming!

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #79 on: 10 Nov 2010, 17:13 »

Because that person, that player, would be the one in charge, with power to manipulate the RP of the respective faction, regardless of what others thought, so long as he kept his clique of friends happy.

Zag

« Reply #80 on: 10 Nov 2010, 18:01 »

If the entities in question had chosen instead to act as lobbyists or political action groups seeking to advance their respective political parties/ideologies and vested interests in the Federation there would still have been the rather interesting RP without the inherent issues involved in claiming that they are in fact representatives of Federal political parties and all that involves. In fact, I would have found it hilarious in having traditional bloc action groups decrying the corporate lobbyists that in all likelihood got Roden into power.

Syylara/Yaansu

• Egger
« Reply #81 on: 10 Nov 2010, 21:51 »

If the entities in question had chosen instead to act as lobbyists or political action groups seeking to advance their respective political parties/ideologies and vested interests in the Federation there would still have been the rather interesting RP without the inherent issues involved in claiming that they are in fact representatives of Federal political parties and all that involves. In fact, I would have found it hilarious in having traditional bloc action groups decrying the corporate lobbyists that in all likelihood got Roden into power.

How long would it take for the word "Astroturfing" to pop up?

*Goes to find an IG equivalent of Dick Armey*

Zag

« Reply #82 on: 10 Nov 2010, 22:34 »

How long would it take for the word "Astroturfing" to pop up?

*Goes to find an IG equivalent of Dick Armey*

Corruption? In my Senate?

It's more likely than you think.

But I do find it amusing that voters may actually have believed Roden's platform promise of stamping out corruption. Perhaps he just stamps out all the lobbyists that aren't in his right pocket. Would give him the ability to exert a rather enormous pull on the Senate, no?

But back on the topic, it's some engaging RP and fun to watch and read all association with fictional parties aside.
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2010, 22:39 by Zag »

Bong-cha Jones

• New Jin Mei
  • Egger
« Reply #83 on: 11 Nov 2010, 01:33 »

To bring this back to the OP, I've honed my rhetoric a bit; hope you enjoy :D

I'll just edit it in here:  I suspect this will end, as it always has when I've gotten into polite scrapes with you guys, with us all toning back the rhetoric until we both respectfully agree to disagree.  My corpmate keeps thinking this will end in a shooting war and I have to keep reassuring him that that isn't in either of our interests  :)
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2010, 03:39 by Simon Coal »
Formerly Simon Coal.

Syylara/Yaansu

• Egger
« Reply #84 on: 11 Nov 2010, 01:34 »

Because that person, that player, would be the one in charge, with power to manipulate the RP of the respective faction, regardless of what others thought, so long as he kept his clique of friends happy.

With any attempt to gather support around an idea, control ultimately resides in the audience, not the presenter.  If we reject the idea being projected, they lose relevance and fade from public attention.

So I'll shake the olive branch one more time and try to turn this conversation towards what does and doesn't seem like going too far?  What kinds of outlooks and positions on social issues make sense for which parties to you?

One the trust front, as well...what kinds of claims seem like they'd be out of bounds?

I can agree if I saw things like vote counts on made up Bills touching on controversial issues that have no citations I'd cringe a bit.  However, as long as it stays broadly general, I don't see much harm in it.  As a student of literature/drama, I see these characters are simply icons, props, a vehicle for RP and a foil for other players' primary characters.  This also reinforces their lack of staying power if they wander to far from the overall community comfort zone, since they are somewhat facades (no offense to the puppeteer :9).
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]