Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Ishukone corporation is one of the major players in the 'liberal' faction and was the first non-Jovian organization to receive capsule technology from the Jovians?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Am I the only one who doesn’t want to interact with alts?  (Read 8566 times)

Odelya

Whenever rping in channels or writing messages on the IGS and a three hours old character in a npc corps pops out, having detailed knowledge about this or that, my desire to interact with this char drops to zero. I feel that there is nothing to gain, except for a few words exchanged. Nothing that can last longer. No relationship, be it friendly or hostile, to be woven. No storyline to be forged. I feel that there is certain dishonesty in using alts. Nothing is at stake for the alt. He isn’t a “real person” in the universe: He was just created for the sake of fast food rp. He isn’t interacting with others in space. I don’t want this. I want the real guys.

How do you feel towards alts?

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/

not the only one.

If you know someone is an alt, then there's always going to be the feeling that whoever is behind them will get bored of things quicker than if the character is someone's main character.

that someone playing multiple roles simultaneously, will be spreading themselves pretty thinly.

also mischats, and mails sent on wrong characters, and so on.

Usually, I try and be positive about things, but it can get very wearying. like, if a character is someone's Nth attempt at something different, it's like, I see them RPing, and I might want to try and get involved, because I want people to have fun rping, but experience shows that the character might not last, and it's like, :(

\o/

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/

also, some people will blurt out that X is actually Y's alt, in some kind of attempt to sabotage things, and it's like, I can't not know that information now, and it ruins whatever rp interaction there is.
\o/

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK

I do not use alts because they are pretty tedious to get up and running. Instead everything is done on my main. I decided that this is challenging enough to be worth doing continuously, and tie it up with my main's development on his quest for self-sufficiency.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

It depends on the alt.

I usually don't care, as long as the alt is not clearly just an extension of the main. In those cases, yes, I prefer not to interact with them.

There are plenty of alts that are fun to interact with, though. It just comes down to how much effort someone is willing to put into the character.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

I'm of the opinion that alts are the worst thing that ever happened to EVE, in both RP and OOC activities.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread

I don't care about alts, and I actually prefer to not find out if Char T is an alt of the player who also plays Char E. I try to see characters and evaluate them accordingly.
-OOChé

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain

Everyone knows my alts.

If you don't, ask. :)

They're "connected" to Ari, but are their own people... an one of them could even be convinced to fuck her over, and it couldhppen, cause Rping losng is as much fun as RPing winning :D

Dessau

I'm okay with alts, but I admit it would be grating for players to 'transmit' IC information OOC because they cannot or will not compartmentalize their alts' interactions.

I've killed most of mine off now, but if Main A logs on and there's no one of interest to RP with, but Alt B's antagonists 1 and 2 are online and chatting in OOC, why not hop on?

(In case there was any question, mine all have the same avatar background.)

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr

I used to have a shit ton of alts, but honestly, it was just too much work to keep them running and I never used them enough to justify the cost of keeping them plexed. The alts I have on Saede's account are very basic characters, but they are persistent characters with purposes in EVE. Fraxi is my 'log out in a system for weeks on end as a deep scout' character, and Fence is my Amarr market alt. I do roleplay on them from time to time, because if I have to be on the character, then why not? That said, given how infrequently they're around, I can understand people having a lack of desire to get too deeply involved in them. I actually wrote this into Fraxi's character. She's a total introvert and rarely leaves her pod or interacts with any real people, preferring to spend most of her time zoned out in various games.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

I'm okay with alts, but I admit it would be grating for players to 'transmit' IC information OOC because they cannot or will not compartmentalize their alts' interactions.

When I catch people doing this with my characters, it's usually a cue for me to generally stop interacting with any of their characters, and possibly call them out on it if it is particularly egregious. The last person I caught doing it was someone I rarely had any reason or inclination to interact with anyway, so I didn't consider it much of a loss.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child

I only worry when I think it's somebody who seriously dislikes me. To my knowledge, there's probably only one of those people left, and admittedly she has good enough reason to dislike me.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod

I've seen alts handled very well, and very bad.

I've seen alts that are a completely separate, unconnected character and alts that are closely bound to the main.

I've seen alts that were used noticeably less or only for specific purposes, and alts that were played just as much as the main.

I've seen alts that share information for no apparent good reason, and alts that share information for entirely understandable IC reasons.

I've seen alts that were created because the player wanted to try out a different character and their story, and alts created only to reinforce the story of the main.

I've seen alts that were created to try and do a good handling of a commonly cliched story, and I've seen alts that were created to be mouthpieces or reinforce the existing cliches.

Most of this is not inherently good or bad. There are certain things that can be done with an alt that will increase the chances of it being boring and uninteresting (or even unpleasant) to interact with, of course. Much like a first character, however, an alt can take one or two of these 'bad points' and still be genuinely interesting to interact with if they are otherwise played interestingly enough.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain

I always reember Jared and ari in the same room, having two ccomletely different conversations with 2 completely diff people, with 2 diff tones/moods/etc (and they are diff personalities t o boot), and still wonder how I pulled that off. ;)

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain

Whenever rping in channels or writing messages on the IGS and a three hours old character in a npc corps pops out, having detailed knowledge about this or that, my desire to interact with this char drops to zero. I feel that there is nothing to gain, except for a few words exchanged. Nothing that can last longer. No relationship, be it friendly or hostile, to be woven. No storyline to be forged. I feel that there is certain dishonesty in using alts. Nothing is at stake for the alt. He isn’t a “real person” in the universe: He was just created for the sake of fast food rp. He isn’t interacting with others in space. I don’t want this. I want the real guys.

How do you feel towards alts?

Nothing wrong with alts, as long as some effort is put in to them to make them interesting. I experimented with intaki artists, Sansa scouts, gallente dissidents, etc.

Was it you who created the Farsi speaking khanid?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4